ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-28-2015   #21
8cam

Default Re: missing/rough running round 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
Very happy with the $27 fix, not so happy with the $10 shipping. But for all in less than 40 bucks not too bad.
Not so much. It's been 4 weeks since I wrote that, 4 weeks since I even opened this forum, 4 weeks of grumpy.

Not the forum's fault, been annoyed with my car. After I wrote that, I took the car out again and it drove fine. Enough I thought it was cured and headed out to dinner with the wife. Nope, didn't even get out of the neighborhood before it was coughing and wheezing, barely running. I felt lucky to get back to the house. I was so thoroughly irritated I just ignored the car for an entire week, driving the 308...until I noticed coolant on the ground under it, but that's another story.

After a week I had calmed down and decided to figure out once and for all, just what the hell was going on. I pulled out the WSM, test light, volt meter, and started tracing everything. Every single thing checked out, grounds excellent, wiring good, but still bad running and codes that just didn't make sense.

Finally in desperation I called up Russ McBride, what a godsend to have a fellow Z owner so close by. And a great guy too. He offered to let me try his ECM in my car, to eliminate that as a possible issue. So I headed out, and on the 1.5 mile drive to his house, it coughed and chugged the whole way. 10 minutes later I was driving a completely different car. Russ' ECM totally transformed it, beautifully smooth and powerful. The difference was stark, and a little shocking. No doubt about it, my ECM had serious issues. At least it was a relief to finally know what the problem was.

Next call was to Marc Haibeck, what a great guy. I've bought a few things from him, but definitely one of his smallest customers. Still he spent the time on the phone with me, helping me understand the issue. With his help, I was able to ship my ECM off to hopefully be repaired - in his words, it works about 75% of the time. I sure didn't want to try and source one if I could help it, so it was worth rolling the dice.

Got the ECM back a few days ago and holy hell, it ran just like with Russ' ECM. Smoother than I remembered...so much so I think it must have been gradually going bad, and I didn't notice until it got really bad. I haven't posted until now because I wanted to keep driving, just to be sure it's truly fixed. I've had the car out daily for the past several days and it's running like a champ, not a hint of problems any more. Even took the wife to dinner, to make up for that bad drive 4 weeks ago. I'm knocking on wood, crossing fingers, and other superstitious stuff....but I believe the gremlin has been banished.

I had actually considered selling it at one point, but not any more. Great driving car, love it. Again.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #22
A26B

GREAT! ECM issues are the most difficult to resolve. When they are working properly, the ECM self analysis of Sensor input is invaluable. Not so much when the brain itself is sick.

Enjoy the Summer!!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #23
We Gone

Glad you got it fixed.... On post 6 I offered up my scanner would have been a big help to you.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #24
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Glad you got it fixed.... On post 6 I offered up my scanner would have been a big help to you.
Very true, but then I wouldn't have had the last 4 weeks of entertainment! Actually when the Z went down, the 308 became my driver and then it went down too, with a coolant leak. That left me totally without a car, dependent on an unhappy wife for transportation. Let's just say the less I asked of her the better.

Really appreciate the offer though, but just no way I could get down there. Hell I barely made it around the corner to Russ's place!
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015   #25
Bearly Flying

Diamonds and kissing *** will get you back in good sted with the Wife.....
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote