ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-29-2014   #1
tccrab

Default Craigslist ad in Miami, 1991 LT5 with rod knock

Wonder what happened here?
Any in the Miami area know this car?
I haven't heard of too may LT5's with rod knock.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/4736246527.html

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Craigslist ad in Miami, 1991 LT5 with rod knock

When I brought my Z home, it had a definite "rod knock". So much so that I was about to let my LT5-ignorant mechanic pull the motor. Fortunately, I got on this site and did some research and we first replaced the injectors with new stainless FIC units. Coincidentally, my "rod knock" disappeared.

Moral of the story is it might be a good opportunity to get a perfectly-good short block cheap if anyone needs one.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014   #3
NVMYRC51

I am trying to get in touch with the guy so I can stop by and take a look at it. He is in my area.

Craig,
NVMYRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMYRC51 View Post
I am trying to get in touch with the guy so I can stop by and take a look at it. He is in my area.

Craig,
Ye ol dual mass flywheel combined with a bad injector will sound very much like rod knock, I kin tell ya from experience. But, when idling, if you (or someone) presses in on the clutch and the noise is abated, then chances are it is an injector(s) going south especially if the injectors are original (same goes for all pre-93 cars.)

That being the case, then after the engine is good and warm, perform a resistance check of all the injectors. Depending on make, the resistance readings among all the injectors should read very close. Some, depending on make, will read around 12 ohms, and others closer to 14 ohms; the key being they should all read very close. IF one or more is 2 ohms or more below the rest, that one is suspect. But if it is something like 4 + ohms lower that the rest, chances are you have the culprit.

But, if it does NOT go away with either the clutch peddle IN while in neutral OR especially if the noise becomes more pronounced under load in normal driving situations (clutch engaged), then rod knock becomes a concern.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-30-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014   #5
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMYRC51 View Post

Craig,
Craig,

His name is sam and he lives in homestead. I went to his house months ago and he told me he was parting his car out. He also had bought another lt5 complete to transplant in his car but he lost interest or other things changed his mind. I believe he had a 1991 white couple with 123,000 miles. Sam took apart his motor and had the intake and cam covers powder coated and looks great. I thought he had already parted his car out but I guess I was wrong. He works far from home so I hardly ever see him. He lives a few blocks from me.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014   #6
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Craig,

His name is sam and he lives in homestead. I went to his house months ago and he told me he was parting his car out. He also had bought another lt5 complete to transplant in his car but he lost interest or other things changed his mind. I believe he had a 1991 white couple with 123,000 miles. Sam took apart his motor and had the intake and cam covers powder coated and looks great. I thought he had already parted his car out but I guess I was wrong. He works far from home so I hardly ever see him. He lives a few blocks from me.

ed ramos #3028
Just a note: I think this is the owner your speaking of Sam who had the 91 and all parts up FS many months ago on the CF for $6500 both motors were apart so was most the car, After looking everything over I made a deal with him and he agreed. The day I was to pick it up he backed out........I was half way to Miami from Atlanta with truck and trailer when he called....

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1586603990

Just looked back at the pics I saved the lettering was all red....So may not be the same one

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold

Last edited by We Gone; 10-31-2014 at 10:52 AM.
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014   #7
edram454

in the craigslist google map it has this individual living in homestead at precisely where sam lives. I think it is sam. maybe he changed his mind again. his engine had a knock, it was a 1991 and it was just freshly powdercoated.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote