ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-02-2014   #71
edram454

Default Re: exhaust

by the way, those resonators weigh a ton. With the removal of the large 3 chamber mufflers, spare tire carrier and tire and now the super heavy resonators my car feels much lighter. It feels like I can roast the tires any time I want. It is good to lose weight.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #72
XfireZ51

A Y-pipe???
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #73
edram454

yes the y pipe goes where the headers would dump into the flowmaster resonators, so in place of the resonators he placed a 4 inch y pipe where the exhaust combines much like an h pipe or an x pipe and then it comes out into 2 2.5 inch pipes. the 4 inch pipe flows like a mother. I just dont sense any restriction on this setup over what I took off. I can tell the car just wants to rev and go effortlessly. It fits very nicely in the middle in the exhaust tunnel perfectly. I would have thought he would have used an x pipe but he said this would flow if not the same better. After the headers, flowmaster had two 2.5 inch pipes going into one opening in the resonator. It is at that point where the 4 inch pipe is welded and it shoots out to 2 2.5 inch duals straight out.

Miami muffler is the biggest custom exhaust business in south florida and probably the whole state of florida. They do semi's, race cars. etc.. anything with exhaust. all types of grade steels and solid aluminum exhaust also. He sells to other exhaust companies since he has a several mandrel pipe benders. He also sells on the internet as vrs exhaust for all types of cars. I am pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Old 09-02-2014   #74
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
I finally modified my exhaust and now have long tube headers going to a 4 inch y pipe then out to two 2.5 inch duals exiting into 2 2-chamber flowmaster mufflers. I will tell you that removing those flowmaster resonators have given my car a tremendous performance seat of the pants feel. It is felt very hard after 4k rpm's. It almost feels like it wants to break the tires loose. The sound is tremendous!!! All hell is breaking loose back there while in wot. I would love to be able to follow my car as someone floored it. There is serious drone at 2k rpms. It is bad but I dont care. The car makes a statement even at idle. Being a black menacing car and now with that sound and after tearing off my window films so you can see my roll bar inside, it looks like a very serious Corvette not to be messed with. This is just what the Doctor ordered. It will stay this way.
yeah yeah yeah - mine will be Black too pretty soon (with Black rims on the corners too, which EVERYone knows are faster), except mine will be even ... slower ... with the super heavy-duty 4L60e tranny fluid pump suckin' HP + TQ.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #75
Schrade

Ok - this went right over my head before here (as does lots of stuff, but we won't go there too much...

But let's see if I got this right - if I open ONE side of my PE's, and leave closed the OTHER side, then I can reduce resonance???

THAT I CAN see, and with an X section near the front, I'm not creating an IMbalance in exhaust flow, between L + R banks???????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
If you don't care about drone, then find some PE's, like I got from Jeff. The SPL, in dB's, HAS TO be 3 figure range. Ironically, it doesn't seem very loud at all, listening as my neighbor drove off around the block, after the last bolts were tight. I think Jeff might still have the link posted to the boards here... (in a moment here)
Jeff does still have his video on 'Public' setting here...

I'd have guessed, NOT from experience, that this hardware has more drone than any other aftermarket pipes. And now it seems that Bob WT has qualified that guess.

If mine wasn't running so much cooler, I think I'd have been looking for different hardware.

edit:

And I think mike100 said that drone could probably be reduced with a single outlet open, as opposed to both outlets, each side.

I can't see that reducing drone, but he knows more than me, so I won't argue.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-02-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #76
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
yeah yeah yeah - mine will be Black too pretty soon (with Black rims on the corners too, which EVERYone knows are faster), except mine will be even ... slower ... with the super heavy-duty 4L60e tranny fluid pump suckin' HP + TQ.
At least you wont miss a shift! You must be a heavy duty drag racer if you are installing a auto trans in your z. there was a while there where the big time engineers were putting auto transmissions in race cars. I remember a couple of Jim Halls Chaparrals had them and also zora duntov put a auto trans in the cerv 2 prototype car with 4 wheel drive and two torque converters. I believe that car was at the Corvettes at Carlisle this year. It was donated to a museum by GM but the museum later sold them. Zora was pissed and so was GM.

I am sure your z will run just fine with one. Make sure you have a high stall.
Old 09-02-2014   #77
XfireZ51

Why would you not replace the resonator w an X pipe?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #78
edram454

The owner of the exhaust shop said that a y pipe with the dimensions that he had with a 4 inch inlet and out with 2 2.5 inch pipes would be a cleaner install, would allow me to use what pipes I had of my system and going back to the original flowmaster would be a snap if I ever wanted. The way the flowmaster system was designed it had the pipes that came off the header going into the resonator into one pipe. I looked inside the resonator and was surprised how restrictive it looked. It appeared to be two pipes since 2 pipes exited the resonator but it was only 1 pipe going in and it wasnt 4 inches either. I believe it was 2.5 inch inlet. the inside of the resonsator had the left side going off and through the resonsator while the right side went off to another smaller pipe which just bounced the waves around to reduce drone which was the job of the resonator anyway but it lacked any direct outlet into the exiting 2.5 inch pipes.

the proof was in the pudding when I drove the car right after I had driven it with the resonator in place and it was night and day. I still can believe the difference. It works kind of like an x pipe since both pipes exit the header, meet at a 4 inch pipe junction and exits out in 2 2.5 inch pipes. I remember in my drag racing days that one large pipe can out flow two small pipes, for example 1 3 inch pipe outflows 2 2 inch pipes. I knew that the 4 inch junction would not be problem what so ever. It is unconventional but makes sense as far as flow and cost. The cost to modifiy this was much less than an x pipe that would go from the headers to the mufflers and I can return it to the flowmaster force 2 configuration by welding it back together if I wanted to.

The idle noise is noticeable and people will notice. the wot is as loud or louder than a corsa with long tube headers and no cats. also the system weights less since there is less pipe. I think it was clever on the part of the shop owner and he's done many thousands of custom systems in his 30 years of business. I believe I was a little lucky to achieve the sound I was after for such little money and with the flexibility of bringing it back to how it was along with the weight savings.

ed ramos #3028