ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-26-2014   #11
csavaglio

Default Re: zr1 #729 sold

I've "sold" 3 cars on ebay. Only one (back in 2006 or so) was actually sold to the bidder. The other 2, more recent...one a year and a half ago and the other in April, were no pays. According to ebay, auctions on cars and property are non binding. The bidder is just securing the opportunity to buy the car, nothing more. Ebay will refund your auction fees if they're a no pay, but that's it.

Needless to say, I won't put another up on ebay.

It can pay to contact the seller if you want the car. A friend of mine sold a '66 Riv like that and I sold my '69 Vette (the one from April) like that when a Vette Forum member contacted me.

Chris
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #12
edram454

thanks for the information Chris. I did not know that the rules were so loose. I would not sell a car on ebay now either. Unfortunately some people's word has no value. I feel sorry for the sellers.

Thanks,
ed ramos
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #13
csavaglio

Yeah, as a seller, it was a huge pain and hassle, although both times, ebay refunded me all fees. I sold my '56 Merc (the one from a year and a half ago) to the second highest bidder who was a local guy. On the brighter side, ebay refunded all fees, including the list fee. The way the laws are vehicles and property don't allow ebay to have biding auctions for these items, which was ebay's explanation. They even show it in the information section for selling these things. Doesn't stop ebay from having auctions, of course.

As for a buyer, it works out great. Bid a car, if you have remorse (which ebay says is NOT a valid reason), just say the car didn't turn out to be what you thought and all is forgiven.

Anyhow, if you're still wanting that car, shoot the seller and email and try to work out a deal. The best way to go about it is to not make an offer in the first email. Just say you missed the bidding and find out if the buyer came through. As a seller, when someone makes an offer out of the blue for a car that's "sold," my first thought is it's another flaky person or scam.

C
Old 07-26-2014   #14
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
Yeah, as a seller, it was a huge pain and hassle, although both times, ebay refunded me all fees. I sold my '56 Merc (the one from a year and a half ago) to the second highest bidder who was a local guy. On the brighter side, ebay refunded all fees, including the list fee. The way the laws are vehicles and property don't allow ebay to have biding auctions for these items, which was ebay's explanation. They even show it in the information section for selling these things. Doesn't stop ebay from having auctions, of course.

As for a buyer, it works out great. Bid a car, if you have remorse (which ebay says is NOT a valid reason), just say the car didn't turn out to be what you thought and all is forgiven.

Anyhow, if you're still wanting that car, shoot the seller and email and try to work out a deal. The best way to go about it is to not make an offer in the first email. Just say you missed the bidding and find out if the buyer came through. As a seller, when someone makes an offer out of the blue for a car that's "sold," my first thought is it's another flaky person or scam.

C
I've seen those 'sold' cars get relisted many times, sometimes the same day. Which tells me that the 'winner' probably didn't even go to see the car.

In this case however, after talking a few times with Mr. B, I'm under the impression that this is an entirely legitimate scenario...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #15
csavaglio

I even had a buyer (this last time with my 69) promising to pay the deposit and kept delaying. He had even been contacting me throughout the auction and got additional photos and info on the car. After his time limit was up, I sold the car to the guy who'd been in contact with me. Within 24 hours, I had the full amount for the car in my account and the car was on it's happy way a week later.

Not everyone goes out to see the car in person (although, after seeing that "just like new" 17k mile ZR-1 in Phoenix, I would never take a sellers word on a car.....

It never hurts to let the seller know you're interested in case the deal fall through. The worst that can happen is he'll tell you the car's sold.