ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-01-2014   #51
Hog

Default Re: Fluidyne radiator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Ya......after my experiment idling in 100 deg F .....with AC On and then AC Off....opening the hood did drop the temperature a couple degrees......With Headers I think it would be worse under the hood.

I have no clue how one would direct heat coming through the Oil Cooler, AC Condenser, and Radiator downward under the engine and somehow directing cool air above the engine except a new hood design with louvers.
Doesnt most of the air go down and under the car normally? If so, I wonder how the lowered cars do thermally as compared to the stock height cars.
I would think that no one change would affect cooling substantially, however a few minor changes could cumulatively affect cooling. A leaf in the rad, a waterpump with some cavitation damage could be enough to cause overheating.

I wonder how much of a difference underhood heat actully makes? After the air comes through the rads it has done its job in removing heat from the rad/coolant/engine, then lets say it does get hotter from the headers, is that really going to cause the engine itself to run hotter? Perhaps if teh engine is actually ingesting the heated air through the air intake, but normally its not.
Does bathing the outside of the engine in hotter air, cause it to run substantially hotter.

I know that the selling point of ceramic coating is to control heat transfer. Its usually to keep heat inside the exhaust in order to keep its velocity high, or to prevent thermal damage to nearby components.

Stock exhaust manifolds are no example of a part that runs cool. They are thick and heavy and radiate heat like a monster, but they are durable, as such are used by OEM's.

I can see a worse case scenario going something like some WOT driving on a hot day, then coming upon stop and go traffic. Air/con off, windows down, heater on revs at 1500rpm, hope for the best.

Interesting discussion for sure.

For those in the SouthWest where its hot and bone dry, does anyone run their central airconditioning with water misting on the condensor coils outside of their homes? Ive heard of this, as well as water spray cooling for those tile roofs.
This adds evaporative cooling to the system. If anyone runs water injection on their car, a nozzle could be used for emergency cooling on their car. Obviously not a good idea if you are injecting methanol.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote