ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-06-2006   #1
x-raydave

Question Infl Reset

After storage the Infl Reset light and the seat belt light stay on. The battery was on a maintenance charger, but somehow died during the winter. I did recharge the battery the car started fine but the Infl Reset and seat belt light stay on. I am aware of the corrosion problem with the sensors and have done the maintenance on both (what a bit$$), anyway after sanding and using dielectric grease as instructed on the sensors, I reconnected the battery and still have the same lights on. My question: is this a code that has to be cleared by other means than disconnecting the battery and if so, can it be done my me or do I need it cleared by the dealer or someone with a scan tool??? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Dave Sorry I see it says L98 but I have a 1990 ZR1 I will change this ASAP.
x-raydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #2
8upZR1

Default Re: Infl Reset

There is a crazy procedure to reset the infl res light. You jump two pins on the aldl connector for like 5 seconds, then disconnect for 5 seconds. I do not remember the exact pins or procedure but you can find it on the net registry site. Sometimes it doesn't work. When I do it I usually need five or six or ten tries. I had this problem a while back and ended up just replacing the abs sensors as my infl res light kept on coming back on after being reset.
8upZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3
tomtom72

Yes the code can be cleared with a scan tool....I stink at the touch the pins method also!

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #4
Jeffvette

ground A to K on the ALDL terminal. That will give you the codes.

To reset
Ground A-k 2 seconds
unground 2 seconds
Ground A-k 2 seconds
unground 2 seconds
Ground A-k 2 seconds
unground 2 seconds
Old 06-07-2006   #5
x-raydave

Thumbs up Re: Infl Reset

Thanks, Guys!!! I knew you'd come through for me. I'll give it a try this weekend. Car is up north at the cabin. (Northern Wisconsin). There is a small car show this weekend and it will be nice to have it ready to go. I'll let you know how it works out. Dave
Old 06-07-2006   #6
WB9MCW

Dave the l98 is the novice # of posts starting point...u work ur way up to lt5...for top dog poster member status. it is based on the total # of posts.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #7
x-raydave

Got it! I wish it was the number of visits, because I would definitely be an LT5. Number of posts will take me forever. Thanks, for the heads up anyway! Dave
Old 06-11-2006   #8
jrd1990zr1

Dave,

Some suggestions. If you have a 1990 Service manual the reset protocol is on page 9J-A-2. It has been my experience that the method described above of grounding and ungrounding for 2 seconds, 3 times will not work. 2 seconds is too short a time to reset the SIR system.

BTW di-electric grease is an insulator, it will not help with the contact situation.

This is how I clear the SIR codes.

With ignition (key) off ground the A to K pins of the ALDL.
Turn on ignition, in about 4 seconds the fault codes will begin to flash.
Unground A to K for exactly 3 seconds.
Ground A to K for eactly 3 seconds.
Unground A to K for 10 seconds, verify that all code 12 are flashing.
Turn ignition off.

I suggest that you purchase a set of diagonostic plugs from Gordon Killebrew, that make the process easier.

Good luck, it might take a couple tries.
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #9
x-raydave

Talking Re: Infl Reset

Thanks again for all replys, The dielectric grease was used after sanding to prevent any new corrosion. Sorry, you probably thought I put it in between the contact points. This seems to have taken care of the problem and I have been able to clear the code.
If anyone is interested the system I used and it worked. (I do have the factory electric manual and their way didn't seem to work) With Key off ground k terminal to drivers seat - turn ignition on (do not start) when INF RST light comes on - unground, wait 2 seconds - light will start to flash then immediately ground again wait 2 seconds then unground. I had to repeat this 4-5 times but I did finally get a Code 12.
Either there are a number of different ways to clear this code and only certain ones work on certain vehicles or I'm not following directions well.
The important part is the Z is back on the road with no current issues.