ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-17-2011   #1
XfireZ51

Default Contemplating Rear Gear change

I have a Pioneer AVIC in the car which is pretty neat. One of the features it has us a vehicle dynamics readout for stuff like amps, speed, lateral g, braking g's, compass. I rely on the speedo since mine is off due to the taller wheels and tires. I know that the rear gear is a 3.45. Comparing the speedo to the GPS, I calculate a 12-15% error. The tires are making the rear gear act as a 3.08. It looks like swapping a 3.90 gear would bring things back to operating as 3.45 gears would with 17" wheels. Thoughts?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #2
sammy

Default Re: Contemplating Rear Gear change

i like the 392 gears that are in my white car. but you might want to consider 373s .if you are going to drag race her with your street tires so you can go thru safely in third
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #3
WVZR-1

Yours is a very interesting approach to correcting a speedometer error.

It would be much easier to calculate if the "new" tire size/diameter was a "known" value. Then you could use an RPM calculator to get "CLOSE". I mention close because actual speedometer calculations are for "rolling radius" and not based on advertised tire diameter.

You could do it more accurately measuring your present tire "loaded radius" and then using this "speed calculator": http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

I've used this after measuring and it's pretty damn accurate. I don't recall the "loaded radius" dimension from my 315's and I can't measure it presently.

Here's an interesting way to approximate the "rolling radius": http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ded_Radius.htm

To get "CLOSE" use advertised diameters, trans rato 1:1 and this calculator to compare: http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

I've used all of these for speedometer, tire or axle ratio comparisons. I always just use a trans ratio of 1:1.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #4
WVZR-1

You can check here to see how your tire/wheel combinations compare: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Error is "approximate"! This calculator used to be "FREE" and it could be used rather effectively to determine chassis/body clearances for various tire/wheel fitments.

I'd be interested in the percentage comparison of the calculator vs. your GPS. I don't know that they've compensated for "rolling radius" or just use advertised diameters.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2011   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Dom,

Well, is the question regarding just changing ratios to "recalibrate" the rear gear i.e., restore 3.45 like performance, or are you asking about boosting the ratio further to complement dragstrip performance??

Once again, Ami and I had a chance to do the Utica run. And, and once again I find 6th gear to be annoying for anything other than expressway travel. So, I'm contemplating a ratio that would put me pretty close to max torque in the trap in 4th gear (or should I go for max HP in the trap...Haven't decided,...)

IMO, at the very least, the ratio needs to be higher to better utilize 6th in normal highway driving, drag racing not withstanding. Make sense??

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #6
-=Jeff=-

still free for basic stuff

going from the 315/35R17 on a 17x11 to a 335/30R18 on a 18x12 diameter goes from 25.7 to 25.9

Speedo would be off by 1% at 60 so it would read 60 but actual is 60.6.

If Dom's rear tire is a 325/30R19 on a 19x12 then his Dia is 26.7 and according you the link WVZR-1 posted it is a 4.2% speedo offset. So when the Speedo is showing 60 it will actually be 62.5.

So I am not sure where the 12-15% is exactly
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #7
XfireZ51

Jeff,

Actually you just reminded me that I did observe speed discrepancy on 474. I had same wheels and size tires on that car and found speed delta to be about 3-4mph at 60. So I suspect that #458 likely had 4.10's along with the required speedo gear in the ZF. That would explain the larger discrepancy. in fact, I used my standalone GPS on 474 to measure the speed differential. At the time, I thought it wasn't worth the bother in terms of correcting the speedo.
A 5-6% differential in speed would suggest a 3.73 rear to get things back to acting "as if" it's a 3.45 with the 19's.

Paul,

The objective at this point is to get things back to "stock". That speed differential would explain the lower trap speeds with 474 once I put on the 19s. At the big end, I was coming thru at a somewhat lower rpm altho the ets were the same.

Last edited by XfireZ51; 09-18-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-18-2011   #8
WVZR-1

If the gear change was done and the proper drive/driven used to correct the speedometer the tire diameter change would be constant regardless of ratio.

I believe I'd start with the stand alone GPS unit and attempt to confirm the speedometer error as it is now. I'd use a Tech 1 (or similar) to confirm RPM's at speed and use a speed/rpm comparator for an easy check. The Tech 1 would also display speed.

Maybe the best and easiest is the tire/drive shaft revolution comparator done by "the eye" to determine axle ratio!
Old 09-18-2011   #9
XfireZ51

WV,

The tire/diameter delta would be a constant %, but the actual mph delta would vary depending on gearing. The rear gear ratio was verified by Pete when we had car at his place for motor swap. So we are certain about that. I suspected that the speedo was reading low even before the 19's went on. As I posted earlier, using my in dash GPS, speedo reads 41 while GPS shows 47.5mph.
So I would probably install the 3.45 trans gear for the speedo, then
install the 3.73 rear gear to bring things into closer alignment both from readout and performance standpoint.
Old 09-18-2011   #10
Ccmano

Dom,

I use a Dakota Digital speedo calibration unit. You dial in your speedo prefectly against your GPS no matter what combiantion you're using. Very simple to install and use. Change anytime you want. Mine rides in the center console for easy access. On ebay the go for about $75. Here's a link to their web site.

Hope all is well otherwise.

H

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 09-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote