Default Re: Daily driving a ZR-1

Brake in brakes and then braked?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016   #202
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
And then there's my Sunday evening...just yesterday. Took the wife out to dinner and 60mph...BRAKE....back to 60...BRAKE...back to 60....BRAKE. Hey it was the first test drive after the brake job and I needed to bed in the new pads. She wasn't amused.
You have to do what you have to do......I hope this was before and not after dinner, her stomach may have been very upset if it was after, come to think of it, mine might have been too.......lol

On another thought, I am not totally happy with the brake pads on my Z, don't know what brand they are, they still are almost like brand new. Thinking about making a change to get a little more stopping power. That brand of pads you mentioned seem interesting. May have to try them out!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #203
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
You have to do what you have to do......I hope this was before and not after dinner, her stomach may have been very upset if it was after, come to think of it, mine might have been too.......lol

On another thought, I am not totally happy with the brake pads on my Z, don't know what brand they are, they still are almost like brand new. Thinking about making a change to get a little more stopping power. That brand of pads you mentioned seem interesting. May have to try them out!!!
I really like the Akebonos, and keep putting them in different cars. One thing to keep in mind, they are ceramics. That means bedding them in properly is very important, and they take longer than most. So for your first several drives, they will feel like they aren't quite as effective. But once they are, they work extremely well with excellent stopping power. And my favorite feature...you won't have to clean your wheels nearly as often.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #204
8cam

Well tonight I had my very first roadside breakdown, my own damn fault. I had noticed the last couple days that the belt was squealing for a few seconds when I turned on the a/c, but it quieted down quickly. I figured I'd take a look over the weekend. Nope.

On the way to meet some friends this afternoon and it started screaming, even with the a/c off. Luckily I was near a gas station, so I pulled in and popped the hood. Shredded belt fragments everywhere and barely 1 rib's worth still on the pulleys. After a few choice works at my own stupidity, I grabbed an Uber to the nearest Napa. They had the belt in stock, and a couple el-cheapo screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. My Uber driver hung around and drove me back to the car, super nice guy. He's an actor, already been in a few things around here and doing Uber to pay the rent.

I got the belt all routed, but getting it back over the alternator was proving to be a real bitch. I could pull the tensioner back, but then needed two more hands on the belt. Luckily the guys in the gas station walked out and they had a breaker bar. Nice to have the proper tool. With the tensioner held with the breaker, it was much easier to get the belt on and done. I bought them a six pack for their help.

Started it right up, checked everything, turned on the a/c and the clutch kicked in like it should, everything looks absolutely perfect. The drive home was easy enough, just sorry I missed the meetup with my friends.

Moral of the story, your car will tell you when something isn't right. Listen to it!
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-15-2016   #205
Racinfan83

Yeah that belt is not fun - even in the garage. Been there done that. Hope I don't have to do it again... Glad it worked out for you as well as it did
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #206
8cam

I'm going to be cleaning belt bits, strands, pieces and dust for a while. When it went, holy hell it really went. This weekend will be cleanup, I guess a good excuse to do something I needed to do anyway.
Black/Gray
Old 06-16-2016   #207
WARP TEN

When I got my '95 in 2012 it rolled off the truck running fine but with a serp belt that was just about gone. Lots of cracks and missing bits of rubber. Clearly the original belt (21,000 miles on the car). Fortunately it didn't break--I nursed it until I could get it to Marc for all the servicing it needed. I remember that with my '93 (which I owned from 6,000 miles to 74,000 miles) I carried an extra serp belt under the seat, but never had to use it. I think I had replaced the belt at some point in its life. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #208
mike100

keep an eye on the tensioner. They get "sticky" and don't allow the spring to push the wheel through the entire range of motion to keep the belt properly tight. You can't get the LT5 tensioner anymore, but you can rebuild the guts with an LT1 unit (much cheaper than the LT5 one anyhow).
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #209
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
keep an eye on the tensioner. They get "sticky" and don't allow the spring to push the wheel through the entire range of motion to keep the belt properly tight. You can't get the LT5 tensioner anymore, but you can rebuild the guts with an LT1 unit (much cheaper than the LT5 one anyhow).
AND, just to add this tidbit: the tensioner pully/bearing assembly from an LT1 will work in place of the ZR-1 pulley, in spite of not having the guide ridges on the outside edges of the pulley (like the ZR-1 pulley has). Replaced my pulley 8 years/ 19,000 miles ago and never had a moment's trouble, FYI.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #210
8cam

This looks like a good place to park.

Black/Gray