ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-17-2022   #1
richarde

Default Fuel Injectors

I realise that much has been written about the best injectors for the LT5's. Many comments suggest that the FIC injectors are really good, also Accel injectors.
Has anyone any experience of South Bay injectors in their LT5? I ask that as their injectors seem to be around 40% of the cost of FIC - when shipping internationally, this price difference can have a massive effect! Although South Bay advertise their 1990 - 1992 LT5 injectors as suitable for our engines (also ethanol tolerant), their resistances check out at around 14.8 ohms (at 70 degrees F) compared to the OEM of around 12.1 to 12.5.
Your comments would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
2391 - owned since Jan 2019, Black / Black, have completed restoration. Jeal headers, Corsa system, 4.10's, Aluminum flywheel with Carolina clutch.
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022   #2
Jcsws6

Default Re: Fuel Injectors

I recently installed them in one of my 91s. I was impressed with the quality and so far, the performance. They are factory bosch injectors from early 00s ford v8s. South Bay does a great job of remanufacturing them and modifying them for use the lt5. I plan to install another set shortly.

Last edited by Jcsws6; 02-17-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Jcsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022   #3
Matt B

Amazing price indeed for all 16... having the same issue with shipping and taxes these might be a good alternative IF they do what they should and how they should.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022   #4
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarde View Post
I realise that much has been written about the best injectors for the LT5's. Many comments suggest that the FIC injectors are really good, also Accel injectors.
Has anyone any experience of South Bay injectors in their LT5? I ask that as their injectors seem to be around 40% of the cost of FIC - when shipping internationally, this price difference can have a massive effect! Although South Bay advertise their 1990 - 1992 LT5 injectors as suitable for our engines (also ethanol tolerant), their resistances check out at around 14.8 ohms (at 70 degrees F) compared to the OEM of around 12.1 to 12.5.
Your comments would be appreciated.

The idea is to make certain that injectors all have similar resistance, ie within a certain +/-. The way to truly establish if there is a defective injector is to warm up motor to operating temps, then check after a 30min heat soak. Resistance will be higher then, but ur checking for consistency across the 16 injectors.
Finally, for tuning purposes, you would really need to get the Injector Voltage Offset from SouthBay and incorporate that into the calibration if it varies from the stock values, which is likely.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 02-19-2022 at 09:55 AM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022   #5
richarde

Thanks for the feedback. I have just taken delivery of the South Bay fuel injectors and have carried out a quick check using the Kent Moore J39021 Injector Tester. The stock OEM injectors for the 1990 LT5 shows a 'coil test amp supply' of 0.5A, with a 'voltage window' of 5.7 to 6.6. With the Injector Tester set at 0.5A, my stock injectors averaged out at 5.87 to 6.15, all within the 'voltage window' of 5.7 to 6.6. The resistances at 60 degrees F measured at between 12.1 and 12.4 ohms.
Applying the same test criteria to the South Bay injectors, the 'voltage window' came out at between 7.1 and 7.2 volts with the resistance at between 14.8 and 14.9 ohms for all 16 injectors.
I emailed South Bay with my findings asking for comments. They came straight back to me saying that these were OK and the injectors will work as they should. This prompted me to ask the forum for any comments from people who have used these injectors. The only slight concern that I have, which may be unfounded, is the potential for damage to other components as the injectors do not exactly match OE specs. Initial checks showed that they are all within a tight window on resistances, albeit at 60 degrees F.

2391 - owned since Jan 2019, Black / Black, have completed restoration. Jeal headers, Corsa system, 4.10's, Aluminum flywheel with Carolina clutch.
Old 02-19-2022   #6
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsws6 View Post
I recently installed them in one of my 91s. I was impressed with the quality and so far, the performance. They are factory bosch injectors from early 00s ford v8s. South Bay does a great job of remanufacturing them and modifying them for use the lt5. I plan to install another set shortly.
I had set of those running in my ZR-1 when I purchased it. Mine were the orange top Bosch/Ford injectors. The car ran perfectly fine and I had no issues with them.

I later switched to a set of JerrysGaskets FIC balanced injectors. I really only did that because I got a killer deal from a fellow member.

I would have no problem using the Southbay orange tops again.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022   #7
richarde

Yes, these are orange top Bosch / Ford injectors. Thanks for your input - I plan to install them on Monday!

Old 02-19-2022   #8
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
I had set of those running in my ZR-1 when I purchased it. Mine were the orange top Bosch/Ford injectors. The car ran perfectly fine and I had no issues with them.

I later switched to a set of JerrysGaskets FIC balanced injectors. I really only did that because I got a killer deal from a fellow member.

I would have no problem using the Southbay orange tops again.
H
Was there any noticeable difference?
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022   #9
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Was there any noticeable difference?
I can't say I really noticed a difference. Idle is where it should be most noticeable. I changed out the entire engine around that time so I wasn't really paying attention to that at the time.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022   #10
-=Jeff=-

I am running Bosch III's from South Bay on my ZR-1.. installed late int he season last year. so far so good..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote