ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-05-2016   #1
JimZRyd

Default Prothane bushing brackets

Hey guys! Just received a couple sets of Prothane poly bushings for the front and rear sways on my 94. The rears came with new brackets but the fronts did not. I've tried searching the web for just the brackets. Where can I get a set? Thought I read somewhere on here that somebody picked up a universal sets from an auto parts store, but can't find a listing on anybody's site. Thanks in advance!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: Prothane bushing brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
Hey guys! Just received a couple sets of Prothane poly bushings for the front and rear sways on my 94. The rears came with new brackets but the fronts did not. I've tried searching the web for just the brackets. Where can I get a set? Thought I read somewhere on here that somebody picked up a universal sets from an auto parts store, but can't find a listing on anybody's site. Thanks in advance!
If these are the ones "bar to chassis frame rail" and they're dimensionally correct, I don't understand the need for brackets. The brackets are very substantial and actually fitted to a reinforcement that's flush to the chassis frame rail. Actually I don't understand the need for replacements at the rear either.

What part #'s did you buy?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #3
JimZRyd

I bought the Prothane front kit, part # 7-1152. And yes the bar to frame rail bushings. The stock bracket "suspends" the bushing down about an inch or so. I am installing a set of Van Steel coilovers and will be using the relocation pieces that our good pal Carter produces. These themselves are an inch or so think and it appears if I use the factory brackets this would drop my sway bar down even more. I've seen forum members pics that showed poly bushings, I assume Prothane, with a new "brass colored" bracket. My rear set came with new brackets so I figured my front ones would too. Thanks for your note!

Old 01-05-2016   #4
Demps

Carter's front piece.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #5
JimZRyd

Exactly Ted! I've got your pics saved for reference. I know yours are for the greasable bushings. My set didn't come with any at all. Can these be purchased somewhere seperately?

Old 01-05-2016   #6
Demps

Look at o'reillys or autozone. You can order them from summit.
Ted
Old 01-05-2016   #7
JimZRyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Look at o'reillys or autozone. You can order them from summit.
Ted
Thanks Ted! I've looked at those sites online and only saw where you could order the whole thing, bushings and bracket. That's what I thought I was getting. Do they sell just the bracket or am I going to have to get a whole other kit?

Old 01-05-2016   #8
Demps

Jim,
I'm guessing both.
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/191182

I can't find just the bracket anywhere.

Ted
Old 01-05-2016   #9
JimZRyd

Thanks! I couldn't find just the brackets anywhere either. Should my kit have come with brackets? Also, does Autozone, O Riley's , etc carry these in house?

Old 01-05-2016   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
Thanks Ted! I've looked at those sites online and only saw where you could order the whole thing, bushings and bracket. That's what I thought I was getting. Do they sell just the bracket or am I going to have to get a whole other kit?
Take the bushing that you've bought to a GM dealer and try to match it to a quality clamp. Those in that image are light-duty "fits all". The mounting holes are slotted and display absolutely no quality. I believe you should likely be able to match the bolt mounting center and the bushing fit and end up with a much better solution. I might have tried OE bushings also first for a real quality install.

Give me the width and height of the bushing you've bought.

When you install yours use OE type washer-face hex hardware for a much better and likely more secure install. The install in the image needs I'd think redone.

That kit I guess includes the sway bar link and bar end. I believe that those can likely still be done in OE. I understand the Prothane product isn't the greatest for durability. No first hand but it's mentioned frequently. Knock-off stuff? Maybe but you can't beat OE.

The 4 bushings on the rear at the ends and on the link are still available and if you buy the link (one bushing is included), I got these for FU not long ago (couple years maybe). The ones in the front at the control arm and the end of the bar are likely not so no choices there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Carter's front piece.

Ted

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-05-2016 at 09:51 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote