ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-17-2015   #11
Racinfan83

Default Re: LT5 Cooling and Radiators

This was mine when Marc took it out to clean it...

Debris screen I made out of a $2.50 aluminum Gutter screen from Lowes...

My car would almost peg the gauge sitting at idle before I had Marc clean the radiator out and put his chip in that turns both fans on at 200 degrees. Now it hardly gets to 200. The only problem I still have related to that - is that the A/C blows hot at idle and really messes with idle speed when compressor kicks on. I had it switched to R-134 by a Chevy dealer - could they have missed something they needed to change as well??
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #12
Dynomite

Just installed ANOTHER Ron Davis Radiator. I did some initial testing during the coolant refilling and topping off of coolant after a heating cycle. Idling in the shade (96 deg F ambient) with AC Full ON. Got the same results in 100 deg F ambient.

What happened was very very interesting. My fans come ON at 205 deg F and off at 200 deg F with Marc Haibeck Chip. The coolant temperature idling rose to 205 deg F and the Fans came on. The coolant temperature immediately dropped to 198 deg F as the Fans came OFF. The idling Coolant temperature then rose again until the fans came on and back and forth. At the rate the coolant temperature dropped with fans on assures me that there is considerable reserve cooling capacity with the fans on.

Pay attention to Jim Voters on how to clean a radiator in Post #7 above.......I cleaned my stock radiator (I thought) but did not remove it. It was not completely clean so I would say as Jim has proven you have to remove the stock radiator if you want it cleaned. And as Racinfan83 did below.

It appears that if you remove the stock radiator and COMPLETELY clean it as Jim suggests and also clean the AC Condenser and Oil Cooler at the same time, you can run the ZR1 in HOT climates in stop and go driving. Having said that, it sure is nice to have a Ron Davis Radiator which apparently has considerable reserve capability for cooling the ZR1 in HOT climates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
This was mine when Marc took it out to clean it...

Debris screen I made out of a $2.50 aluminum Gutter screen from Lowes...

My car would almost peg the gauge sitting at idle before I had Marc clean the radiator out and put his chip in that turns both fans on at 200 degrees. Now it hardly gets to 200. The only problem I still have related to that - is that the A/C blows hot at idle and really messes with idle speed when compressor kicks on. I had it switched to R-134 by a Chevy dealer - could they have missed something they needed to change as well??

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #13
edram454

I am looking to switch out my stock radiator as preventive maintenance and replace it with a champion 3 core all aluminum unit. I dont see the reason to spend 600 and up for a radiator when champion offers there 3 core at 225.00. A little trimming is required for the radiator to fit since it is squared off and it then slides in. I will also be replacing my thermostat with a stant and will drill 3 little 1/8 inch holes in it as suggested to me by Jerry Downey. I live in a very hot climate most of the year and cooling is a very serious concern. I have a chip to turn fans on but I also have manual overrides to both fans so I just always keep them on. My car seldom goes over 205 degrees in the day time and I usually never run the ac. I just turn it on for about 5 minutes and turn it off.

Nothing wrong with my ac since it is all new and converted to r134 but I would rather hear my car and make sure all is well with it. I think with a new 3 core aluminum unit, stant thermostat and my manual fans this car will do alright down here in miami. It is already mid nineties and very humid so most cars start to struggle down here at this time.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #14
GOLDCYLON

Good timing Cliff. On the way home the outside temp on I-17 was 122 on the outside thermometer in Phoenix Yesterday.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #15
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Good timing Cliff. On the way home the outside temp on I-17 was 122 on the outside thermometer in Phoenix Yesterday.
It might get up to 115 deg here in Central Valley in July/Aug....I will do another test then. If ambient is 122 deg F.....ALL bets are off on a Stock Radiator keeping the LT5 cool in stop and go traffic with AC ON. Even with AC OFF it might be wishfull thinking with a stock radiator.

I think the Ron Davis would handle it given how fast the Coolant Temperatures dropped when the fans came on at 205 deg F Coolant Temperatures during an idling test with AC FULL On in 100 deg F ambient.

I will watch for a HOT day in the Central Valley or take the ZR1 down to ZFdoc in Cave Creek, AZ on a HOT day to pick up my rebuilt ZF S6-40 Transmisison

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-18-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2015   #16
Vetman

My stock 1990 #2441 with 70,000 ran was running about 195 when on the road. Stop and go about 220 and with AC on looks like about 240. Marc programmed my chip and with AC on in traffic never over 200. Dave McClellan has stated that the stock radiator has more capacity than needed for the LT-5. I am convinced. Just clean up your radiator and get Marc's chip!
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #17
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetman View Post
My stock 1990 #2441 with 70,000 ran was running about 195 when on the road. Stop and go about 220 and with AC on looks like about 240. Marc programmed my chip and with AC on in traffic never over 200. Dave McClellan has stated that the stock radiator has more capacity than needed for the LT-5. I am convinced. Just clean up your radiator and get Marc's chip!
What was the ambient temperature when you were running observing Coolant Temperatures?

Concur on cleaning the Stock Radiator but as Jim suggests the only way to really clean the Stock Radiator is to remove it for cleaning. I did not remove my Stock Radiator and thought it was clean but it was NOT completely Clean resulting in higher Coolant Temperatures.

The beauty of a Ron Davis Radiator (or any one of several other Aftermarket Aluminum Radiators) is that you do not have to turn AC off or concern yourself with relatively high Coolant Temperatures on HOT days in Stop and Go Traffic. I am talking about Coolant Temperatures over 230 deg F which I think is normal for a Stock Radiator with AC ON idling on HOT (over 100 deg F) days. I am running more than 25 deg F Cooler with Ron Davis Radiator in traffic on HOT days.

Using Ron Davis Radiators......100 deg ambient temperature (no wind). Both a 1990 and a 1991 ZR1 had the same identical Results (the 1991 with Full Offroad Exhaust).

Cruising at 60 mph in 5th with AC Full On (fans at speed 10) Coolant Temperature stabilized at 197 deg F.

Idling (for at least 15 minutes) with AC Full ON (fans at speed 10) Coolant Temperature stabilized at 213 deg F. This Coolant Temperature dropped to 208 deg F with AC Off.

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-18-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2015   #18
Billy Mild

Anyone using water wetter?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #19
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Anyone using water wetter?
Hib Halverson for one uses Red Line water wetter........

Use of Red Line Water Wetter

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-19-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2015   #20
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post

And 123 yesterday. But the proof is in the pudding. No need to heat up the tires boyz.

GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote