ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-15-2008   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Question "Best" tire pressure??

I'm running the GY F1 GS D3s. I was wondering (generally speaking) what tire pressure y'all find to be "best" for all-round (read: street) driving and if different, what pressure for high speed and what pressure for road courses w/ these tires?

TIA,

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #2
bobbyhi

Default Re: "Best" tire pressure??

Paul, I run mine at 35PSI. I don't do any racing or very high speeds. This gives me a pretty comfortable ride.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #3
Aurora40

Yeah, I haven't had any complaints with the factory 35psi recommendation. You could always start there, and play around with it. If I were going to make some high-speed runs, I might consider adding 2-5psi just to be on the safe side?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #4
32valvZ

You guys w/GY's might like the 35psi......and I'm sure its great for the type of tire....but 35psi felt like I was in the Flinstone mobile with the Suckitumos... I went down to 31 up front & 30 out back....its better, but the type of tire is the downfall for me I think..
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #5
ZR-1 Franz

Hello from Switzerland,

As the ZR-1 DRIVER'S MANUAL says, inflation can be reduced, from
normal 35 psi, to 28-30 psi. At this tire pressure speed should
not exceed 100 mph (160 km/h). I follow this recommendation with
the '90 ZR-1 and the '91 L98 and I think it is good and it gives a softer
ride. I like it.

Have a good time.
Old 03-16-2008   #6
UKZR1

I used to run around 32psi with the pilots while on the badly kept UK roads, inflating to 35psi whenever I took the car into mainland Europe (better roads) With the F1's I've found I have had to keep them at 35psi all the time as even at 35psi they manage to pick out everytram line on the road. I went accross both rears with a tread depth gauge a couple of weeks ago and interestingly I noticed the wear on both is exactly the same and they are wearing at the outer couple of inches more than the middle. This is the first time I have seen this on such a wide tire.

Hey Zr1 Fanz We were in Switzerland last June. Here's a couple of photos taken along the Furka pass. Should have stopped more for photos but too busy enjoying the roads We are going back again this year. Shame there is goingto be no Hockenheim to go to afterwards this year though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car8.jpg (194.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg car6.jpg (126.7 KB, 32 views)
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #7
rebelz

ZR-1 Franz-
Underinflated tires, for instance 32 psi instead of the 35 psi recommended by the manufaturer, will do exactly what you posted. It causes the outsite portion of the tire to be more in contact with the road surface. Naturally it will wear more there. I would recommend running the manufacturers pressure for more reasons than just that (i.e. excess tire heat, instability of sidewalls in corners, less traction due to lower contact etc.)
REBel
'92 ZR-1 Yellow/Black #031
rebelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #8
UKZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelz
ZR-1 Franz-
Underinflated tires, for instance 32 psi instead of the 35 psi recommended by the manufaturer, will do exactly what you posted. It causes the outsite portion of the tire to be more in contact with the road surface. Naturally it will wear more there. I would recommend running the manufacturers pressure for more reasons than just that (i.e. excess tire heat, instability of sidewalls in corners, less traction due to lower contact etc.)
REBel
Think you need to re-read the above posts. ZR1-Franz didn't say that and neither did I in reference to the the outside wear of the F1 tyres. With what you say about underinflation and outside wear you are ofcourse and quite obviously correct.
Red/red 90 #1281 (UK)
Marc Haibeck 368
B&B, Brembos
DRM suspension
Known as 'Gixer' on corvettechat.co.uk
www.corvetteclips.co.uk
UKZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #9
rebelz

UKZR1-
The original post was asking about the best tire pressure for the GY F1 tires. ZR-1 Franz did say "As the ZR-1 DRIVER'S MANUAL says, inflation can be reduced, from normal 35 psi, to 28-30 psi." I was more or less responding to that, and what happens when you do. Your post talked about having run 32 psi in the UK, then at the end you mentioned outside tire wear. I mentally combined the two sections not connecting the 35 psi portion, and just added it to my post, My Bad!
REBel
'92 ZR-1 Yellow/Black #031
rebelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Thanks for all your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelz
UKZR1-
The original post was asking about the best tire pressure for the GY F1 tires. ZR-1 Franz did say "As the ZR-1 DRIVER'S MANUAL says, inflation can be reduced, from normal 35 psi, to 28-30 psi." I was more or less responding to that, and what happens when you do. Your post talked about having run 32 psi in the UK, then at the end you mentioned outside tire wear. I mentally combined the two sections not connecting the 35 psi portion, and just added it to my post, My Bad!
REBel
I read all the posts, and I tho I was specific w/ regard to the GY F1...D3s, the noted deviation from the OP didn't stray too far, and I appreciated ALL the comments (so far).

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does anyone actually use these tires on a road course/track? And, if so, I'd be curious about the tire pressure they use and what they think of the performance overall (hijacking my own thread a bit, I know...)

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote