ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-21-2016   #11
Kwood

Default Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions

Looks like it's going to be the F1 GS-D3's. I can't locate Michelin Pilots, even on the Michelin website

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #12
Bob Eyres

It's probably too late to offer this advice, but I think the Toyo Proxes R888, (DOT approved), competition tires are a good choice for the ZR-1.
I've had them for less than a year, and they're great.
If you are like many ZR-1 owners, and don't use the car as a daily driver, or drive much in the wet, these might be for you.
Here's why I picked them:

-Very reasonably priced

- Soft R compound gives fantastic grip, both laterally and in a straight line.

- Look very badass, (totally subjective judgment)

- Tread life is not long. But my theory is that most ZR-1 owners don't drive more than 5-7K miles a year anyway, so why spend the big bucks on Michelins, or Goodyear F1 Supercar tires if they are going to age out before they wear out, a waste of money.

So, with these tires, you're getting performance, and trading off longevity. As those guys still running Gatorbacks know all too well, old, hard, tires can be very dangerous.
My R8's are still looking new at a few thousand miles. I'll post to tell you guys if they burn off before they age out, (3-4 years).

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #13
Kwood

Thanks, it's not too late and that is a great point. I have owned mine about a year and a half and only put about 1500 miles on it, so cheaper but good performance is an option

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #14
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
It's probably too late to offer this advice, but I think the Toyo Proxes R888, (DOT approved), competition tires are a good choice for the ZR-1.
I've had them for less than a year, and they're great.
If you are like many ZR-1 owners, and don't use the car as a daily driver, or drive much in the wet, these might be for you.
Here's why I picked them:

-Very reasonably priced

- Soft R compound gives fantastic grip, both laterally and in a straight line.

- Look very badass, (totally subjective judgment)

- Tread life is not long. But my theory is that most ZR-1 owners don't drive more than 5-7K miles a year anyway, so why spend the big bucks on Michelins, or Goodyear F1 Supercar tires if they are going to age out before they wear out, a waste of money.

So, with these tires, you're getting performance, and trading off longevity. As those guys still running Gatorbacks know all too well, old, hard, tires can be very dangerous.
My R8's are still looking new at a few thousand miles. I'll post to tell you guys if they burn off before they age out, (3-4 years).
Loved my R888s. In addition to these points, they were also fairly wide 315s, unlike Sumitomos or Nittos, for instance.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #15
CamP

I saw a previous post dogging the Nitto 555's, but I have a new set that grip very well with my 500+hp ZR-1. For $700 a set, I think they are hard to beat.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #16
rush91

How is the road noise on the Toyo's??
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #17
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
How is the road noise on the Toyo's??
I can only tell you that with headers and no cats into a Corsa system, they are whisper-quiet.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #18
Bob Eyres

I agree.
Take a look at them. I'm no tire expert, but I think you'll find that the more aggressive the grooving on a tire, the noisier they are. The grooves on these are minimal. That's why they're not great in the rain.

My car has headers, no cats, and 3"B&B exhaust. I wouldn't hear them if I had snow tires on there.

Last edited by Bob Eyres; 09-29-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #19
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
I can only tell you that with headers and no cats into a Corsa system, they are whisper-quiet.

well said
Old 09-29-2016   #20
rush91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I agree.
Take a look at them. I'm no tire expert, but I think you'll find that the more aggressive the grooving on a tire, the noisier they are. The grooves on these are minimal. That's why they're not great in the rain.

My car has headers, no cats, and 3"B&B exhaust. I wouldn't hear them if I had snow tires on there.

The reason I ask is because my Sumitomos just don't hook up on a launch. I'm running 100% stock, and love the how quiet the car is. The ladies love it on date nights as well, as they can just gab away and away ( Hmmmmmm maybe I need to start looking at new exhaust systems )

Your right thought, if I ever do upgrade to header / exhaust, tire noise becomes a mute point. The road noise on my Sumis is next to nothing, but launch grip is not really there.