ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-04-2015   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default Trying a ZR-1 tonight but no power key said the owner

What can I do to test it properly? It's pretty sad he lost the power key !!!
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: Trying a ZR-1 tonight but no power key said the owner

I wonder how long he has driven it without the secondaries being used. That's a little worrying.

Is it a nice car that you might get cheap? If you're a gambler you can buy it for a low price and plan to get a chip soon that will not need the power key. You might want to consider that new injectors might be needed.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #3
mike100

1990 only: take apart trim panel and clip wire across contacts.

1991-up:
1) get blank door key cut to match power key.
2) reprogram chip to default to full power every time car is started.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #4
MuRCieLaGo

It's a 1990, how can I do it easy?
Old 03-04-2015   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
What can I do to test it properly? It's pretty sad he lost the power key !!!

With the key on, ground the pink wire in the green connector (third from drivers side) on ECM. Use a small finishing nail stuck in alongside the wire connector with an alligator clip pigtail attached to the end for grounding. This will allow you to activate and observe the Secondaries function with Plenum installed.

See Secondary Functional Test and Reconditioning the Secondary Actuators

With Key On........
Find the Pink Wire which is C17 (or pink wire with black strip) on the ECM. Insert a Paperclip along side the Pink wire
and attach a ground wire with Alligator Clip on both ends.
Pin C17 is located in the Green Connector
second connector on the ECM from the passenger side.

Look down on the Passenger Side in the ...........................Look down on the Drivers Side in the
direction of the screw driver (Use a Flashlight). ..............direction of the screw driver (Use a Flashlight).
You will see the shaft of the canister which will ...............You will see the shaft of the canister which will
move toward the FRONT of the engine when ...................move toward the REAR of the engine when
you ground the Alligator Clip (The Front of the ................you ground the Alligator Clip (The Rear of the
engine is to the Right in the Photo
)..................................(engine is to the Right in the Photo).

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-04-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #6
MuRCieLaGo

Thanks Dynomite !!! It looks quite complicated....
Old 03-04-2015   #7
Dynomite

Quote:
Thanks Dynomite !!! It looks quite complicated....
Takes a minute........I do it often to check secondaries. First I make sure the vacuum pump cycles for a few seconds with the key on and then the vacuum pump turns off for a minute or so. This assures there is vacuum to the secondary canisters for proper operation. You need a couple of those test wires with alligator clips on both ends you can pick up at any Radio Shack. Attach one end to Pin C17 as described and the other end to any frame or engine screw/bolt you can find. As you touch the ground wire you will see the secondary canister levers move as described above.

It is fun....try it

This is a quick test anytime you think your secondaries are not working.

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-04-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2015   #8
PhillipsLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Takes a minute........I do it often to check secondaries. First I make sure the vacuum pump cycles for a few seconds with the key on and then the vacuum pump turns off for a minute or so. This assures there is vacuum to the secondary canisters for proper operation. You need a couple of those test wires with alligator clips on both ends you can pick up at any Radio Shack. Attach one end to Pin C17 as described and the other end to any frame or engine screw/bolt you can find. As you touch the ground wire you will see the secondary canister levers move as described above.

It is fun....try it

This is a quick test anytime you think your secondaries are not working.
Dyno always has the answers/legit
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #9
MuRCieLaGo

So basically I can simply ground that wire and take it for a ride with the valet key - that way I will have full power?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 03-05-2015   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
So basically I can simply ground that wire and take it for a ride with the valet key - that way I will have full power?

Thanks a lot for the help!
No....and yes.....if you are talking about Mike's wire........Mike can explain the details.

If you are talking about the Pink C17 wire.....you do not need to take it for a ride....you can observe the secondary actuators (canister shafts) move as you ground the C17 wire Without Starting the Engine. Now if you were to take it for a ride you can assume those secondaries are working just like you seen them work by grounding C17 and looking at them as I suggested through the middle Plenum runners.

By grounding C17 and watching the Vacuum Canister shafts move you have proved complete mechanical integrity of the secondaries as well as functional integrity of the Vacuum System including the integrity of the vacuum system secondary Port Throttle Valve Solenoid shown below.

In the photo below you see the Secondary Port Throttle Valve Solenoid, The infamous Check Valve that checks (closes the port to the passenger side of the Plenum when Plenum Vacuum is less than required), and the Secondary Port Vacuum Reservoir. The little round in line cylinder with white and black ring is the check valve itself. The Secondary Port Throttle Valve Solenoid is an electrically operated valve with the electrical wire not shown.

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-06-2015 at 07:27 AM.