ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-17-2015   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: Upper Cam Chain facing failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
After reading Marcs article, I'm thinking this part is subject to failure easily since its just a plastic tab that holds it in place on the guide holder correct? As Marc says it just clips on. He also shows that he manufactures the part with a modification to help relieve stress at the tab attaching points. It should be easy to see according to Lee's pic and Marc's article. I looked at mine and I don't see the black plastic retainer tab as pictured in Lees post so that being said I wonder how many Z's have this problem? My car has 56K on it and I'll probably be contacting Jerry and Marc for some parts. Maybe a kit for replacing this plastic guide facing would be a good idea.
I checked two LT5s today (a 1991 and a 1990) and both look as shown in the photo below.

Are you saying you do not see this black tab at all in your
LT5? What do you see there? A slot where the tab should be?
Do you see the Chain Guide Facing Holder in your LT5?
Could you take a photo of what you see inside your LT5 Oil Fill Port?

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-17-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #12
Franke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I checked two LT5s today (a 1991 and a 1990) and both look as shown in the photo below.

Are you saying you do not see this black tab at all in your
LT5? What do you see there? A slot where the tab should be?
Do you see the Chain Guide Facing Holder in your LT5?
Could you take a photo of what you see inside your LT5 Oil Fill Port?

I see what looks like a tan piece of some sort not black plastic. Pictures are attached. I was able to move it just a bit with my finger so it maybe be just a tab color issue. I could use yours and others opinions as I would hate to pull that cam cover to find out it is ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (86.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (75.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (78.4 KB, 4 views)
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #13
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
I see what looks like a tan piece of some sort not black plastic. Pictures are attached. I was able to move it just a bit with my finger so it maybe be just a tab color issue. I could use yours and others opinions as I would hate to pull that cam cover to find out it is ok.
You are fine....your facing is intact and in good shape as we cannot determine Facing wear but you DID determine it was secure to the Facing Holder.

My tab is blacker than tan and yours is tan/black....that facing is normally tan. You scared me for a minute thinking this issue is Not so Rare after all. I still say the issue is very rare.

Put your Oil Cap back on and take a drive

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-17-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #14
Franke

Sorry to scare you Dyno as I was scared too. It seems that there may be somewhat different tab colors then. When I put my video scope in there it was definitely a tan piece that I saw so naturally I was a bit worried that the "black tab was gone". Looking at Marc's article I could see how the plastic piece attaches to the tan colored metallic holder so I thought that tan piece I saw was the holder rather than the plastic guide. Thanks for clearing this up for me. You are one of the LT5 guru's here. No worries now.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote