ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-05-2015   #1
Arctic91

Default Removing transmission fill/drain plugs

I attempted to drain and fill the transmission oil at our local maintenance day, but the fill plug simply would not budge. I soaked them with WD-40 earlier in the week and using brute force with a 17mm hex and breaker bar damaged the female hex portion of the plug. I didn't attempt to force the drain plug since it was obvious the fluid was not going to be changed today.

Any suggestions for removing these plugs when they seem to be seized?

Thanks,
Scott

'95 Callaway SNAT 450 Aerobody Coupe - Black/Black
'92 Callaway SNAT 400 Convertible - Polo Green/Beige
'91 ZR-1 #1231 - Arctic White/Saddle (SOLD)
'90 ZR-1 #2547 - Turquoise Metallic/Black
'89 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe #027 - Black/Black
'85 Corvette 454 Coupe - White/Red
Arctic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: Removing transmission fill/drain plugs

I've heard the plugs can be a bear to get loose. I shortened the Allen section to get it as close as possible and used a long breaker bar to get mine out. If you can get the car up in the air get a long pipe and a helper and that should do it. Once the plug gets damaged you only have a few more shots before the trans will need to come out do to the damaged Allen socket.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #3
WVZR-1

Surprises me that it's NOT done. You were in very good company. I've removed the hex from the socket and just used a quality box end wrench which allows you to keep the leverage closer to the plug. You can use a "cheater" also with the box wrench.

Not for a ZR-1 but a friend welded a correct hex to an older box wrench for just that purpose on one of his projects.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #4
A26B

To get more engagement from the hex drive, I ground the end of mine off to eliminate the chamfer on the end, and just lightly de-butted the edges. I too needed a cheater on my wrench.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic91 View Post
I attempted to drain and fill the transmission oil at our local maintenance day, but the fill plug simply would not budge. I soaked them with WD-40 earlier in the week and using brute force with a 17mm hex and breaker bar damaged the female hex portion of the plug. I didn't attempt to force the drain plug since it was obvious the fluid was not going to be changed today.

Any suggestions for removing these plugs when they seem to be seized?

Thanks,
Scott
Allen wrench for fill plugs

Before you destroy the plug completely or destroy Torx Bolts on the Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds.........try a little heat from an acetylene torch (do not melt the aluminum).

On the Injector housing Coolant Manifolds.......apply heat along each bolt location separately (including the unthreaded shank of the bolt as the shank is often corroded inside the coolant manifold) and on the injector housing where the bolt is threaded (Remove each bolt separately before going on to another).

On Cam Cover Torx Bolts........you cannot get heat at the proper location but others have had great success with vibration (Impact wrench). I had great success with a chisel which after thinking ........... it was vibration that loosened the Torx Cam Cover Bolts even in my case. This ALL with engine in car.

Heat Always Works (HAW)

You might take a photo with cell phone of the plug so we can see hex and outside threads for more suggestions Before you do more damage

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #6
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post

Heat Always Works (HAW)
Yep even just a hand held propane torch will do the job.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #7
diamond zr1

I might add a trick an old diesel mechanic taught me/apply heat directly to head of plug or bolt/after getting it hot/not cherry red hot/spray water directly on the head quelching it/sometimes it takes a couple cycles of heat/ cool to get it loose//it will easily come out//try it
diamond zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #8
5ABI VT

I couldnt get mine loose and it rounded the plug out. I tried several ways and I believe they all helped make it easier for how I did get it loose which was a vice grip and a long breaker bar. There were enough threads to allow the vice grip to squeeze and I think squishing the plug possibly helped too.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #9
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I couldnt get mine loose and it rounded the plug out. I tried several ways and I believe they all helped make it easier for how I did get it loose which was a vice grip and a long breaker bar. There were enough threads to allow the vice grip to squeeze and I think squishing the plug possibly helped too.
Concur .....that is why I suggested You might take a photo with cell phone of the plug so we can see hex and outside threads for more suggestions Before you do more damage

I have used Channel Locks or a pipe wrench also (after a bit of heat) if you do not have vice grips large enough.

Transmission Fill/Drain Plug Source TIPS

More VW Plugs

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-06-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Not much to add here, but I concur with using heat - aka "the blue wrench", works (on other applications) when other methods fail. Also, I have an impact driver which has worked where nothing else has as well. (sometimes a sharp hammer blow does double duty: might break the bond between threads, and for sure relieves some personal emotional stress that might have built up!)

To make sure it is not a problem ever since, I put some "Neverseize" (sp?) on the threads before reinstalling the plugs.

Oh, by the way...! It is probably a good idea to remove the FILL plug first to be sure you can get it out before draining the transmission. Just a thought!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote