ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-03-2019   #1
Jitse

Default Custom powersteering lines.

At the moment I still have the original power steering lines, but I like to make new ones with braided powersteering hose.

Have already at home, Russel powerflex hose 6AN and various Russel hose end fittings plus adapters m16x1.5 to AN / m18x1.5 and a 16mm banjo fitting from Summit(8021560).

The problem is lack of clearance between fittings and powersteering pulley.
Both adapter fitting Russel #648060 and 16mm banjo fitting give clearance problems.
With original ps pulley there is 6mm and with Pete’s custom ps even more 11mm, can not get pulley deep enough on.

Maybe one of us on the forum found a solution to be able to use the standard powersteering pulley?
Otherwise I am thinking about ordering a steel adapter fitting, cutting the AN part of and Tig weld a 90degree AN on it.
Another option is making a custom PS pulley with a bigger diameter, but can’t go bigger than 9.5mm outside diameter or it gives a interference problem with the waterpump pulley.

If somebody has an idea?

Something else:
Making a modification to electric driven powersteering pump no one did with his Z yet looks like?
When surfing for solutions on the web I found some guys put an Toyota MR2 or Opel Astra Electric Power Steering pump in there Vette, but those pumps produce 1000psi and the original on the Z around 1200psi. I don’t want heavy steering.... or a e-motor which pulls 60 amps all time.

Regards,

Jitse
Jitse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Custom powersteering lines.

Jitse I have thought about this as well. I have nothing to offer you in engineering however if you figure it out I would buy two sets as I am a fan of the braided lines as well. I tell you that if somebody does do it that may only want to do it in a run vs. only a single pair, Price dependent I'm sure a few would be interested here as well. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019   #3
Jitse

GC, luckily I am not the only one who wants this :-)
I found an adapter fitting on a dutch webshop (Eriks part# 11483328) going to give them a call tomorrow to see if it’s still available.
If not available, I am going to order a 6AN to 1/4 npt 90degree fitting which can be tig welded into the flow control valve adapter.

Did somebody know if that flow control valve fitting from Saginaw pump is the same as the one from a L98 Vette or Lt1/4?
There are also flow control valves on summit, but I have no idea which one is okay for the ZR1.

Jitse
Old 02-05-2019   #4
Jitse

The fittings are on order, it’s a special order 9 weeks delivery time.
When I have them, I give an update and make a list with the parts needed if somebody else want to make them by them self. Maybe Jerry can make a kit and put it in his store by that time?
Old 02-10-2019   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitse View Post
The fittings are on order, it’s a special order 9 weeks delivery time.
When I have them, I give an update and make a list with the parts needed if somebody else want to make them by them self. Maybe Jerry can make a kit and put it in his store by that time?
Are you making these yourself ?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020   #6
Jitse

My reply toke awhile,

The custom fittings which I ordered from a local supplier, did not have enough clearance with the powersteering pulley, a couple of millimeters lack of clearance with the AN (straight) fitting.

Changed plan by modifying the flow control valve adapter and tig weld AN to 1/4 npt 90degree steel fitting on it , I cut of the 1/4 npt part of that fitting.
After that it was not a big deal to modify the rest of the powersteering hoses and fittings.
adapters m16x1.5 to AN / m18x1.5
Used 1 banjo fitting 6AN M18x1.5 and 1x 6AN x m16x1.5 straight adapter on PS unit, on the pressure lines usage of powerflex hose and on the hose which comes close to the headers, added silicon heat protection cover.

I am re using the power steering return line to the cooler, its not a big deal to modify this part to braided hose with AN connecters, if you want you just need some AN to barb adapter fittings, to connect the outlet from the tank and the outlet of the cooler. In between AN hose with fittings ( size of hose is out of my mind 3/8")

I am not using the plastic cover any longer, which protects the steering rotating assembly coupling.
In case heat is to extensive, I can add a heat shield and connect it to the headers bolts.

This job is not to difficult to do at yourself, but you need the proper tools to get the powersteering pulley off and back on.

I've someone can check if the flow control valve is the same on the L98 or LT1 saginaw pumps, it is simple to buy just a new flow control valve and modify it and keep the original as backup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-04-12 13.45.43.jpg (212.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-04-12 13.45.54.jpg (203.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-04-12 13.47.13.jpg (99.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-04-12 13.46.13.jpg (93.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg puller and installer Snapon.jpg (280.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-13-2020   #7
Jitse

Some more pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flow control valve1.jpg (231.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg flow control valve2.jpg (288.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PS Oilcooler.jpg (265.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ps unit banjo an.jpg (324.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Jitse; 04-13-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: did not uploaded pictures
Old 04-13-2020   #8
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitse View Post
GC, luckily I am not the only one who wants this :-)
I found an adapter fitting on a dutch webshop (Eriks part# 11483328) going to give them a call tomorrow to see if it’s still available.
If not available, I am going to order a 6AN to 1/4 npt 90degree fitting which can be tig welded into the flow control valve adapter.

Did somebody know if that flow control valve fitting from Saginaw pump is the same as the one from a L98 Vette or Lt1/4?
There are also flow control valves on summit, but I have no idea which one is okay for the ZR1.

Jitse
I don’t know if the flow control valves are the same as an L98. I do know that the pumps look identical but rotate in opposite directions. An L98 pump won’t work on an LT5.

Good luck with the project sounds interesting.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote