ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-13-2015   #1
5ABI VT

Default My fuel pump install Pics !! Fuel filter o2 Sensors DENSO !

First off just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum ! I always ask a ton of questions and this forum is simply the best. I figured the least I could do is share as much as possible (still working on the build thread lol)

Anyhow, few weeks ago I was driving at about 10mph off throttle coasting to a stop with traffic. had my music on and saw all my engine wrning lights pop on. I glanced at my gages and they were all within the norm and when I shut the music off I realized the car had turned off. The Only other time I have experienced this was in my old m3, and it happened 2 more times before it finally crapped out and refused to start. SO I figured the car is 21 years old.. fuel pump time !!

After searching and reading all I could there were a few good write ups and Im very appreciative for them being there so hats off to you guys who have posted excellent photos and info !

At first I chose to go with the Bosch. I had no issue modifying the housings etc but I ended up ordering the wrong part number. These were the bosch pumps..

The Bosch did come with the metal clamps that everyone suggested.

I realized I had the wrong part numbers 69223 where it should have been 69225. When I sent them back I noticed that Denso had pumps available. Ill admit Im a bit of a Denso fan. have bought many Denso parts for various cars over the years and had nothing but success with them. I emailed Denso about the pumps and even got a reply within a day. They claimed their pumps were superior and as listed under their description balanced at multiple speeds etc and were turbine style etc etc. I was sold. Plus they Guaranteed 100% fitment which made me feel more comfortable.

I later ordered 2 Denso O2 sensors as well since I Have some popping under deccel and I have no idea what the age was of the current o2s and I don't have a reader for obd1 to see how responsive they were I figured why not change them too, along with a fuel filter. Notice the pumps say 'first time fit' right right on the box !

First off I would suggest anyone doing the pumps to just get some o rings for the pump to tank bolts. almost every single one of mine torn or was in bad shape. Unavailable from GM but a local auto parts supply had a bunch of them. They looked like this :

For me, taking the pump out was the hardest part because I couldn't see the bottom of the unit to see its shape but some gently twisting and pulling and holding the float arm close and it was out in about a minute.

The socks were pitch black which is normal I guess and leads me to believe they are original? I also noticed the socks are a different length for the primary and secondary. something I may not have noticed in other write ups but thought id mention it here.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #2
5ABI VT

Default Re: My fuel pump install Pics !! Fuel filter o2 Sensors DENSO !

pump that was removed. oem original ?

width of the oem

Denso pump

Cleaned all the bolts and threads

Gasket for the pump unit was not in the best shape. Before pic. After washing and cleaning it was back to all rubber ( no pic ) but I will replace it at some point. Havent looked into oem or options just yet but I believe I have read options are out there.

All set up and ready for install. I used the plastic clamps that came with the pumps. I know everyone says use the steel but ive never had an issue (ive only done 4 -5 pumps or so over the years) but never had it come apart. I think some people over tighten them which stresses the plastic and eventually can lead to failure. I zip tied the strainers to mimic the oem setup as both were the same part # Denso units.

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 07-13-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2015   #3
5ABI VT

Install was straight forward. Pump went in easily just rotated and pushed in etc and it pretty much dropped in place. I did have an almost full tank of gas so the pumps would be fully submerged before firing. I could hear the gurgling for several minutes and I did let it sit 2 days before firing up (not because of the pumps I just didn't have any time to take the car out)

I changed the fuel filter. Only saw 1 o ring on the inlet line. it was 4am and I ended up using fuel injector o rings pushed into the filter on each end and the lines fit in and tightened. There were no leaks but I didn't feel comfortable with them and ended up getting the GM part numbers from here (WVZR-1) and they are GM # 22514722 I switched back to the small GM o rings before driving the car.
Pic of the fuel injector o ring inside the filter . I guess if youre in a pinch...

Lastly I did change the o2 sensors just because of age and because I have popping on deccel and thought id post the pic of the two here. The ones I removed Im not sure what they are (oem?) were slightly thicker and the wiring were a slightly thicker gage too than the Densos. Densos are top.

Not sure if they've made much difference yet but Ill be going out hopefully this week for several runs and hopefully more videos ! Ive signed up for a half mile event which is in August so Im excited for that. The car does fire up again with an instant bark and I was able to trigger TC a few times driving around the block which I could swear never happened before just going around the block. Ill let my brain think there was a difference and I cant wait to stomp on it !
Old 07-13-2015   #4
Racinfan83

All set up and ready for install. I used the plastic clamps that came with the pumps. I know everyone says use the steel but ive never had an issue (ive only done 4 -5 pumps or so over the years) but never had it come apart. I think some people over tighten them which stresses the plastic and eventually can lead to failure. I zip tied the strainers to mimic the oem setup as both were the same part # Denso units.

[/QUOTE]

So that whole thing just drops in the tank from the top where the fuel filler door is? Never looked into fuel pumps... Not as bad as I thought if you can do it with tank in car....
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #5
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post

So that whole thing just drops in the tank from the top where the fuel filler door is? Never looked into fuel pumps... Not as bad as I thought if you can do it with tank in car....[/QUOTE]

Yes the whole thing slides down from the top into the tank. Just have to remove the lid (4 screws) the rubber drain shield thing (not sure what its called) and the 10 or so bolts and fuel lines on the pump assembly to the tank. Its not very difficult at all. It may look like it cant fit but it does quite easily. a few slight turns while going down is all it takes.
Old 07-14-2015   #6
Karl

Looks good. I changed my fuel pumps last year and installed new o2 sensors.

The original o2's looked really bad.

I use Bosch for the o2. I forget who makes the fuel pumps.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #7
mike100

I just did my pumps last Friday. I like the way you secured the sock on the rear most pump. I elected to just let them point out and fold as needed when you drop them into the fuel tray. One of them was just contacting the tray as it seated, but I put a mini probe light down the filler tube and it all looked ok. Anyhow it maintained 52 psi to redline and felt a tad better pulling in 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it will be less prone to pining when it gets hot out. I did the $19 rock auto pumps. There was no modification needed, but I put a couple of stainless hose clamps on the pump outlet connections and left the rest of the oem tubes and clamps alone. For the o-rings; I got a 10 pack of 3/16 or whatever size at home depot for $2 (you need 9).

The garage smelled like gas for about a day after, but after I cleaned all the rags I think it sealed up great as I also had to carefully/reluctantly reuse the fill tube gasket.

I kind of lost track, but I think the pump with the hand written part number inscription is the primary. I think mainly my secondary pump was getting weak. Can you verify which pump was which?
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #8
aafc

When i replaced my fuel pumps i found the gasket and the rubber around
the filler neck at rock auto. The gasket is ACDELCO # G1 @ $30.79. The
rubber around the filler neck was listed as fuel tank filler boot for#15.67.
that part was made by Fairchild # G4012 .
Both parts arrived within 3 days after placing order. the rubber washers
on the bolts i found at ACE hardware.

John
1990 white/black #2546
one of a few auto(4l80E) eq. ZR-1's
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #9
5ABI VT

It wasn't so much a writeup with detailed how to's but more of a sharing thread I guess. The denso pumps were exact fit plugs and all identical to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Looks good. I changed my fuel pumps last year and installed new o2 sensors.

The original o2's looked really bad.

I use Bosch for the o2. I forget who makes the fuel pumps.
The o2s did look quite sooty. After I can get out for some wot drives Im going to pull them both and just take a peek maybe at the end of the season. Just curious how sooty they get after a short time period. Im going to guess they were originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I just did my pumps last Friday. I like the way you secured the sock on the rear most pump. I elected to just let them point out and fold as needed when you drop them into the fuel tray. One of them was just contacting the tray as it seated, but I put a mini probe light down the filler tube and it all looked ok. Anyhow it maintained 52 psi to redline and felt a tad better pulling in 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it will be less prone to pining when it gets hot out. I did the $19 rock auto pumps. There was no modification needed, but I put a couple of stainless hose clamps on the pump outlet connections and left the rest of the oem tubes and clamps alone. For the o-rings; I got a 10 pack of 3/16 or whatever size at home depot for $2 (you need 9).

The garage smelled like gas for about a day after, but after I cleaned all the rags I think it sealed up great as I also had to carefully/reluctantly reuse the fill tube gasket.

I kind of lost track, but I think the pump with the hand written part number inscription is the primary. I think mainly my secondary pump was getting weak. Can you verify which pump was which?
Thanks ! I noticed the oem sock was smaller on that pump so I worried about bending the sock a little but I don't think it made much of a difference. It may have moved out of place but the zips were more to keep them in shape so when installed it would be where it needs to be and could fold in shape if it came loose from the zips. the oem sock had a hole at the end and goes over the pin. I opted not to put a hole in the end of the strainer.

I definitely noticed a bit of midrange oomph. maybe my mind playing tricks but Ill know soon enough when I can get out more.

Ill double check my photos I didn't look any closer to see if the pumps were identical or not. If they are im not sure which may be which.
Is there a way I can test these to see if they are in good shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafc View Post
When i replaced my fuel pumps i found the gasket and the rubber around
the filler neck at rock auto. The gasket is ACDELCO # G1 @ $30.79. The
rubber around the filler neck was listed as fuel tank filler boot for#15.67.
that part was made by Fairchild # G4012 .
Both parts arrived within 3 days after placing order. the rubber washers
on the bolts i found at ACE hardware.

John
1990 white/black #2546
one of a few auto(4l80E) eq. ZR-1's
Thanks ! I will look into the gasket there
Old 07-16-2015   #10
HAWAIIZR-1

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing and great photos too!
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, fuel, lt5, pump, sensor