ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-05-2023   #1
ZR1North

Default Gathering 2023

Fellow members,

With the release of HOTB issue 61 last night, you will have seen that general plans for Gathering 2023 are now available. Gathering 2023 will coincide with the now internationally acclaimed ?Woodward Dream Cruise? which has been held annually in the Greater Detroit Area the third week of August each year since 1995. For those looking to book vacations and their calendars, Gathering 2023 will run from the evening of August 15 through August 19 inclusive. Following is a link to the Woodward Dream Cruise - http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com.

General plans for Gathering 2023 are contained in HOTB issue 61. Detailed plans and logistics are still underway, but rest assured that this will be a full, fun-packed week with such events as: visits to cool car collections and points of interest; cruises; caravans; and plenty of time for socializing with old and new friends - these will be key ingredients of Gathering 2023. A centrally-located hotel has been booked, but the block of rooms has not yet been released. Look for more details on planning and the hotel here on the forum and on Facebook as plans are finalized.

As explained in the president?s letter at the beginning of HOTB 61, we are responding to suggestions from the membership which wants more, key events nearer where members reside, and to provide myriad activities to accommodate varied interests at these events; we?ve dubbed this new direction ?Finding New Roads?. Rest assured that we are not abandoning Bowling Green as a destination for gatherings; in fact, Bowling Green could likely become a location for special gatherings, such as anniversary year gatherings.

Thank you for your patience as we navigated these changes. As noted, we will release more information in the coming weeks as logistics are solidified. Meanwhile, please don?t hesitate to post questions here or to me at events@zr1netregistry.com.

Bob Lambe
Events Chair and Vice President
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Gathering 2023

Thanks Bob, et. al.,
Penciling this in.

-mikey
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023   #3
Gunny

We plan to be there
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023   #4
bb62

Wow. Woodward is in my neck of the woods. I live 4 miles from that venerable avenue and have spent considerable time with my Corvettes on Woodward over the years. I will definitely be there.
bb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023   #5
XfireZ51

My grandson lives in W. Bloomfield. He would get a kick out of seeing old cars.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023   #6
ZR1North

Morning All:

The block of rooms for Gathering 2023 has now been opened. The hotel is Troy Marriott, Troy, Michigan. The room rate is $165 per night (King and Queens are the same price).

Please use ZR1 REUNION as the code to achieve the group rate. The room rate is available for Tuesday, August 15 through Saturday, August 19 (five nights).

The only way to book a room at this point is to call the hotel at 248 680-9797. We will continue to work with the hotel on a link, but they have not provided one yet and may take some time to do so if they do at all; hence, I encourage you to book via phone as soon as possible as the block will be held for a limited time.

I'd be interested in your experience reserving your rooms, especially during these early days. The number and code have been successfully tested and hopefully you will not experience any issues either.

Thanks,
Bob Lambe
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023   #7
tikitb8

Afternoon all,

I have a little more info for the Detroit Marriot Troy in Troy Michigan. We are using this hotel as it very close to the Woodward Dream Cruise without being noisy or congested. I've booked about 6-7 other Woodward Groups here in the past and they have met all our expectations. it is located right next to the Troy PD and the hotel also supplies their own security for our group.

The parking is covered and they usually rope off private area for Corvette parking.
For those towing, parking for truck and trailer is also on site. Of course at no charge.

Event Summary:
BLOCK NAME: ZR1 Reunion
Start Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Check out Date: Sunday, August 20, 2023
Last Day to Book: Tuesday, July 17, 2023

PRICE: Run of house, $ 165 USD per night (king or 2 doubles)

Phone reservations: 248 680 9797
Please be sure to ask for reservations and tell them you are reserving via the ZR1 Reunion Block

On Line reservations: https://www.marriott.com/event-reser...P&app=resvlink
(Hopefully that will become a URL link once I post)

I never release hotel info until I've tested phone and online reservations. Both work perfectly.
BTW a Meet n Greet will be held Tuesday evening at the hotel bar. More updates on that a little later. Just in case you are on the fence about arriving Tuesday.

Good to be back and can't wait to see so many of you that I've missed.

Maureen (Milner) Waller
"Mo"
tikitb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023   #8
mcich7781

First of all I appreciate all the planning and coordination that has gone into "The C4 Gathering 2023."

Though this venue is slightly closer to me in overall miles than the NCM in Bowling Green, I am on the fence, undecided on whether to attend.

Having recently been on a Hot Rod Power Tour in my ZR-1, I know I will never do that again.

After being stuck, backed up traffic in every single little town, in the heat of summer, with a manual transmission, in the cramped cockpit of my Z, I vowed to never do that again. It was way too hard on the car, and me, for that matter.

My experience from the Hot Rod Power Tour has taught me that type of event is best enjoyed in a comfortable vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Could getting to and from the Woodward Dream Cruise events be like that? Everywhere, bumper to bumper, stop and go, over and over?

Since I don't own a car trailer and tow vehicle, I may attend the Gathering in my civilian car, which I know will navigate those traffic congested, potholed city streets and interstates between my home and Troy Michigan much better than my lowered Z.

I don't really know what to think? I have never been to that local area of the country in my Z. Will I bend up another rim, or smoke my clutch?

My car is not made of eggshells, but I know for a fact the interstates between my home and the Detroit area are a battlefield. It wouldn't take much to put me in a rental car to get home.

I guess I could possibly plot a route through the back roads.

Perhaps someone could chime in on my comments with any of their experience with this event, local road, and traffic conditions to help me (and perhaps others) to decide.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
mcich7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023   #9
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcich7781 View Post
First of all I appreciate all the planning and coordination that has gone into "The C4 Gathering 2023."

Though this venue is slightly closer to me in overall miles than the NCM in Bowling Green, I am on the fence, undecided on whether to attend.

Having recently been on a Hot Rod Power Tour in my ZR-1, I know I will never do that again.

After being stuck, backed up traffic in every single little town, in the heat of summer, with a manual transmission, in the cramped cockpit of my Z, I vowed to never do that again. It was way too hard on the car, and me, for that matter.

My experience from the Hot Rod Power Tour has taught me that type of event is best enjoyed in a comfortable vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Could getting to and from the Woodward Dream Cruise events be like that? Everywhere, bumper to bumper, stop and go, over and over?

Since I don't own a car trailer and tow vehicle, I may attend the Gathering in my civilian car, which I know will navigate those traffic congested, potholed city streets and interstates between my home and Troy Michigan much better than my lowered Z.

I don't really know what to think? I have never been to that local area of the country in my Z. Will I bend up another rim, or smoke my clutch?

My car is not made of eggshells, but I know for a fact the interstates between my home and the Detroit area are a battlefield. It wouldn't take much to put me in a rental car to get home.

I guess I could possibly plot a route through the back roads.

Perhaps someone could chime in on my comments with any of their experience with this event, local road, and traffic conditions to help me (and perhaps others) to decide.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
The Woodward tour itself is to be held on Saturday. You can always come Tuesday night, enjoy the camaraderie and events that Bob Lambe will be setting up, then leave Saturday morning. I have also done such tours and will likely take that route myself. Looking forward to hearing from Bob about events planned. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023   #10
XfireZ51

Mike,

I have been driving I-94 for decades from Chicago to Detroit both for family and work. I think ur description of the drive is a bit unwarranted. Granted driving thru Gary is usually a pain due to truck traffic but that depends on day and time u go.
Bob Lambe and I did try driving the Cruise many years ago and yes I had to pull over to avoid overheating, so I wouldn?t recommend doing that on a Saturday but otherwise Woodward Ave. is nice big 4lane either side.
And the surrounding area can be very pretty and surrounded by lakes.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote