ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-24-2017   #11
Regimof

Default Re: Your first memories of a Vette.

I couldn't have been more than 10 or 11.

My parents had vettes before me but had since ridded themselves of them for more family sensible vehicles, i.e, a Chevy Sprint and a Dodge.... something. (These were dark times) I remember dad looking dozens of them trying to find the "right" one and he ended up with a black 85 with atrocious gold aftermarket rims. He showed me so much on car care and keeping it clean with that car. It didn't stay around long because randomly one day a teal green 91 convertible showed up in the garage. That was really exciting because at that time it was the current iteration of the Corvette body style, so even though it was a few years old, everyone thought it was new. I never corrected them.

From there came the ZR1. It took a lot of convincing and it actually ended being my mom who pulled the trigger. (This was mainly because she thought automatic convertibles were ridiculous and for posers) This ended up being the last car she ever bought before she took her life. She loved this car. Pretty sure that's why I fought so hard to keep it around and why I get so obsessed with getting it running right.

There's been Camaros and other vettes since, but none of them have what this one does as far as driving pleasure. Not even close.

Last edited by Regimof; 08-25-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Regimof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #12
Z51JEFF

When I was a kid back in the 60s my parents were friends with this couple and the husband had a Corvette. I was just a kid so I can't remember what year is was might have been a Midyear. I do remember it was blue and the frontend was all busted up,you could see the front tire fully exposed but he was still drivin it like that. One recent memory,there is a school down the street from my parents house and one of the teachers had a 67 Big Block Coupe,I would venture to say that SHE still has it today.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #13
tnova

In the '60s my uncle Joe Cagianut (Diamond ZR1) had a '53-55 Vette. It had a SB instead of the 6 cylinder. I always thought the front headlight look should have been used on the '56 C1's too. I got a few rides in it as well my other uncle's (Ray Cagianut) Austin Healey with 327 SB-a Cobra killer. Now all three of us are ZR1 owners. My brother has my father's C3 that was updated with C4 suspension. All in the family!
tnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #14
WARP TEN

Always interested in cars and Corvettes as a kid, but the best was in 1965, when a high school buddy somehow got a new 65 396/425 roadster Milano Maroon 4 spd. The first big block. We went out on the NY state Thruway one summer night for a little drag racing and it was the most powerful car I had ever been in. Unbelievable torque for the era. The old 'Ten dollar bill on the dashboard that you couldn't reach' test applied. I still look for ads for 396 65s and smile. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #15
Young1

I was probably 12 years old and a 19-year-old cousin gave me a ride it is 65 front and 66 rear for speed Corvette convertible. He built it out of two wrecks. Then just out of high school in 1976 my best friend bought a 1969 LT one for speed coupe. I have wanted a Corvette since.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #16
ssrszz4

Another memory was listening to kiss'n radio they had a car dealer advertising on there. 800 dollar 54-55 Corvette's was the norm.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017   #17
USAF Retired
BANNED

I was always interested in fast cars and Corvettes since I was a little kid.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017   #18
Bob Eyres

My interest in Corvettes started at the very beginning.
In the early fifties I was seven years old when my Dad, who was a tool and die maker, came home from a business trip and brought me a plastic model Mercedes 125 racer, it was my favorite. I had never seen one race and quizzed him about the details. He told me about the Mercedes, but then he mentioned that he had just visited Bob Morrison's company in Ashtabula Ohio, MFG, where he saw molds of a real car made from plastic, full size. I was blown away.
He told me it was a "secret" car that nobody knew about, and maybe someday we could see one after it was all put together.
I don't know the date, but just before the first "plastic" Chevy came out, my Dad and I were down at the Chevy dealer's (who was one of my Dad's friends) garage. In the back was a white 53' they were getting ready for the showroom that week. I sat in it, looked at the "Three!" Carbs, and was sure it was the fastest thing ever.
No amount of pleading would get my Dad to consider buying one. "There's only two seats. Where would you Mom and Sister sit?". That settled it, it would be another twenty years before I got my first one, a Split Window coupe. But that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018   #19
Mr.Yuck

Both of my children and I were taken to the hospital in our mother's stomachs in the same 1963 Stingray to be born. When I was 17 years old in 1990 I went down and watched the anticipated ZR-1's be built with my father. To hear them fire up for the first time and see them tested then ran on the wheel dyno in the Factory was quite the experience for 17 year old kid. I never lived a day of my life without a Corvette then 25 years after seeing them built I finally bought my 93 ZR-1 and I'll pass it on to my kids like my father did with me.IMAG0896.jpg

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Mr.Yuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018   #20
ZRXMAX

When I was about 12 or 13 I knew a local guy that had a service station and was really into his 60 to 62 Corvette. I can remember him getting on the local highway and just smoking those tires forever!

About 1972 one of my school buddies bought a 68 tri power big block. It was silver and had slotted aluminum wheels, off road finned and chrome factory side exhaust, headers, L88 doomed hood, 4 speed, 4.10 rear, and L60 15" Mickey Thompsons out back.

He let me drive it hard! That was it... I had to own a Corvette one day.

1989 was the year and I bought a 84 four plus 3 car. It was the suspension system that totally blew me away as compared to anything I had ever driven before.

The first ZR-1 didn't come until 2001... a 1990... #334 It was sweet!
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote