ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-25-2020   #1
BB95

Default Question Re: Batteries for ZR1

What is the best battery to buy for my 1995 ZR1 ? I don't drive it much at all and what is the best battery tender to buy ? Cost is not an issue.
BB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

BB95,

You’re going to get a bunch of different answers and opinions, but I like that you are a cost is not an issue person.

Here is what I recommend for my needs after all that I researched. Hands down I like the Odyssey batteries since I don’t drive the car often enough. It is a direct fit and no drama with tons of cranking power and reserve. No acid and it’s AGM.

Shop around as there might be cheaper places than Amazon, but here it is.

Odyssey 75-PC1230 Automotive Light Truck Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051TL1SK..._DNlvEbEKDR592

Specs:

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/75-pc1230?pp=12

Whatever you do, do not use any trickle charger and I would use Deltran Battery Tender. I have not used it, but heard nothing but good things about CTEK. Deltran has been awesome for me forever and it seems like 20 years with them.

Best wishes in your quest for the best battery and tender.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 02-25-2020 at 01:24 AM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #3
lfalzarano

Default Re: Question Re: Batteries for ZR1

The LT5 requires 690 CCA.

AC Delco 75VPG Battery
Warranty: 42 Mo.
BCI Group Size: 75
Volts: 12
Reserve Capacity: 95
AH@20: 52
Cold Cranking Amps: 700
Cranking Amps: 875
UPC: # 808709348627
Weight: 33.7 lbs.
Terminal Type: Side Post
Length (in): 8-11/16 Inch
Width (in): 6-13/16 Inch
Height (in): 7-3/16 Inch

I’ve been using Battery Tenders for all my vehicles and my lawn tractor.

Old 02-25-2020   #4
32valvZ

Autozone makes a nice dry cell for right around $200. Fits perfectly and have had no issues, I do keep a Battery Tender on both my ZR-1 & E39.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

The short story is: a lead-acid battery by any other name is a lead-acid battery (more or less). A good battery for you Vette can last well over the "normal" life expectancy of 5-6 years if certain conditions are adhered to namely:

Kept fully charged with a modern battery maintaining charger (e.g., Batter Tender, for one), especially when stored idle for months at a time. OR, at least stored in a cool (winter) surrounding while disconnected from any parasitic draining (e.g., radio pre-sets or ECM memory, etc.).

Case in point: I have several (WalMart or Auto Zone premium 75 series "gold") lead-acid batteries that are 10+ years old that still crank their motors like they did when they were new. The Vettes get driven primarily on weekends and some cross country trips during the driving season (we live in Illinois), and the rest of the time a Battery Tender is connected which keeps them charged and free (relatively) from battery killing lead sulfide buildup.

You don't need an acid-saturated glass mat (AGM) battery for your Vette. They were initially developed at the behest of the military for use in armored vehicles subject to very rough environments typically found in a combat situations. And, later they were made available to the civilian market, (at a price!)providing the same physical durability advantages for applications such as off-road and hydroplane racing, etc.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #6
EvanZR1

I agree, any standard lead acid battery that meets the CCA and size requirements. Keep it on a battery tender, and it'll last a long, long time.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #7
Ccmano

If you want to buy a US made car battery, there are only 3 companies that manufacture car batteries for sale in the United States in the US. Johnson Controls (the biggest) Exide and East Penn. All excellent lead acid batteries. These companies brand their batteries for all the commonly known sellers from Walmart to AutoZone. The vast majority of car batteries sold in the US are from these sources. I have (and continue to) buy Walmart batteries. I find them to be the best value and last every bit as long as the rest. Recently in needed a battery for my wife’s SUV. Walmart Everstart Maxx, the top of their line, was at least 30% cheaper than any other supplier. For the Z I keep a smart charger on it over the winter and my batteries last 5 years plus.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #8
Young1

Make sure it a side post only. The universal fit unneeded positive top post may rub on cruise control bracket. Can be bad news. Side post only.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #9
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Heed the above advice and avoid installing a battery with posts on the top and side.
Not only does it look like garbage, it can be dangerous as pointed out.

That fancy *ss battery weighs in at 45 pounds, so it is a porker.
I am sure it is good but I don't drive through rivers or in the desert often.

A Battery Tender is a must, and it helps to install the permanent connector and feed it out through the front fender gills.

The Delco Battery below looks close enough to original, and is considered a service replacement by NCRS.

The 75 PG has 700 Cold Cranking Amps and a 42 month FREE replacement period.

Below are the specs.

Follow what the earlier poster said and use the charger religiously and this battery should last 10 years.

Marty

ACDelco 75PG BCI Group 75 Automotive Battery - GetMyBattery.com
Find out how AGM batteries are better!
Type: LEAD-ACID AUTOMOTIVE
Vendor: ACDelco
Description:
ACDelco 75PG Battery is a BCI group 75 standard automobive battery. ACDelco has a tremendous history that encompasses almost 100 years. With new advances in parts technology, new inventions and innovative ideas, ACDelco holds the highest standards in the industry.

For almost 100 years, ACDelco has been sparking the automotive industry and firing customer enthusiasm with automotive products built with a pure passion for the automobile. As you might expect, it began as one man's hobby. But you may be surprised to discover ACDelco's integral part in American history with ties to the first self-starting automobile and this country's first moonwalk. Today ACDelco products are chosen the world over, an accomplishment only the past can explain.

Vent caps are designed to resist acid leakage

Calcium alloy is optimized to produce a fine grain, corrosion-resistant grid to maximize corrosion resistance, increase cycle life and reduce water consumption for battery durability

Robust envelope separators are designed with a puncture-resistant back web with a rib design to improve acid circulation and provide low resistance, which allows the car battery to remain cooler to extend battery life Precision manufacturing. These batteries are 100 percent pressure tested to help avoid future leaks and for added strength and rigidity.

Battery Specifications
BCI Group Number: 75
Type: Lead-Acid Automotive
Voltage: 12 V
Positive Position Left Hand
CCA @0°F (-18°C 700
CA @32°F (0°C 875
Reserve Capacity: 95 Minutes
Ah: 52
Dimensions (Inches): 8.7" x 6.8" x 7.2"
Dimensions (mm): 222 x 172 x 184
Weight: 33.7LBS /15.29 kgms
Warranty: 42 Months
Here is the ACDelco Group 75PG battery Vehicle List
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020   #10
lfalzarano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Heed the above advice and avoid installing a battery with posts on the top and side.

Not only does it look like garbage, it can be dangerous as pointed out.

That fancy *ss battery weighs in at 45 pounds, so it is a porker.

I am sure it is good but I don't drive through rivers or in the desert often.

A Battery Tender is a must, and it helps to install the permanent connector and feed it out through the front fender gills.

The Delco Battery below looks close enough to original, and is considered a service replacement by NCRS.

The 75 PG has 700 Cold Cranking Amps and a 42 month FREE replacement period.

Below are the specs.

Follow what the earlier poster said and use the charger religiously and this battery should last 10 years.

Marty

ACDelco 75PG BCI Group 75 Automotive Battery - GetMyBattery.com

Find out how AGM batteries are better!

Type: LEAD-ACID AUTOMOTIVE

Vendor: ACDelco

Description:

ACDelco 75PG Battery is a BCI group 75 standard automobive battery. ACDelco has a tremendous history that encompasses almost 100 years. With new advances in parts technology, new inventions and innovative ideas, ACDelco holds the highest standards in the industry.

For almost 100 years, ACDelco has been sparking the automotive industry and firing customer enthusiasm with automotive products built with a pure passion for the automobile. As you might expect, it began as one man's hobby. But you may be surprised to discover ACDelco's integral part in American history with ties to the first self-starting automobile and this country's first moonwalk. Today ACDelco products are chosen the world over, an accomplishment only the past can explain.

Vent caps are designed to resist acid leakage

Calcium alloy is optimized to produce a fine grain, corrosion-resistant grid to maximize corrosion resistance, increase cycle life and reduce water consumption for battery durability

Robust envelope separators are designed with a puncture-resistant back web with a rib design to improve acid circulation and provide low resistance, which allows the car battery to remain cooler to extend battery life Precision manufacturing. These batteries are 100 percent pressure tested to help avoid future leaks and for added strength and rigidity.

Battery Specifications

BCI Group Number:75

Type:Lead-Acid Automotive

Voltage:12 V

Positive PositionLeft Hand

CCA @0°F (-18°C700

CA @32°F (0°C875

Reserve Capacity:95 Minutes

Ah:52

Dimensions (Inches):8.7" x 6.8" x 7.2"

Dimensions (mm):222 x 172 x 184

Weight:33.7LBS /15.29 kgms

Warranty:42 Months

Here is the ACDelco Group 75PG battery Vehicle List

We agree that is the one for original look and required juice!

Last edited by lfalzarano; 02-25-2020 at 03:16 PM.
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote