ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-28-2017   #1
Roadster

Default TB removal and then some!!!

Thought I would start a new thread for Throttle Body removal. Although the seasoned ZR-1 owners know this all too well, this is basically intended for an owner who may be apprehensive doing this for the first time.
With many suggestions, advice, text, and returned PM's in the last 24-48 hours from different members that I contacted, a big thank you to all...
I also searched Cliff's Solutions, and maybe missed the thread for pics or detailed info that I was looking for....you could read his info for hours....

So here we go.....disconnect the battery, just in case....
here are the tools you will need for removal....
I used 3/8" drive....breaker bar, ratchet, extensions and Torx socket set. Also good to have a pencil or long magnet on hand. You will also need a "mallet" hammer just to tap the throttle body loose after the bolts are removed.

1-air cleaner assembly removed
2-air horn removed....there are 4 T-25 screws that hold the air horn on the inside, and 2 T-25 screws that are on the outside on the top at opposite ends. The bolts on the inside are made so they stay attached to the air horn when removed. Only problem with mine, is that one bolt comes completely out. That a good reason for the magnet, just in case.
3-undo the 2 T-15 screws on top of the plenum that hold the throttle cable to the top of the plenum. I used blue painters tape to mark the cable so I would reinstall in the exact position.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

4-now that the cable is undone you can remove the 5 T40 screws with a breaker bar to get them loose and then use your lightweight hammer to tap the TB loose.

5-Pay attention to the size of the bolts that come out of the TB, lay them out in the rotation that they were removed and take note. That way upon installation, they will go back in the same location. 4 are on the paper towel, from R-L and the 5th bolt is to the left of the pic, you can barely see the thread, that is the bottom bolt.

6-My finish on the TB is peeling off, I just may undo the cable now that I can see how it is attached and refinish the TB myself or send it out to Marc for a complete overhaul, don't know yet.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-28-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2017   #3
Roadster

7-now is a good time for the little things too....such as the clips...already sanded and 0000 steel wool used and ready for paint...

Again, thanking everyone for their quick responses to my inquiries and an especially big thanks to Yun (secondchance) who has always answered my text at any time whenever needed
Appreciating all of the input received......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-28-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2017   #4
GOLDCYLON

Now that you feel comfortable time for the stainless bolts upgrade
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #5
Roadster

Oh i always feel comfortable, lol, but with my luck you never know what is going to happen next....the stories i could tell....lol
We did the stainless on the plenum when we did the pull, except one got lost in never never land....but will check into the others.....

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 04-28-2017   #6
secondchance

Tom,

First, your erratic idle rpm may be due to intermittent vacuum leak.
As for the TB corrosion, this is caused by galvanic corrosion - electric current plus steel bolt and aluminum TB, both exposed to water base coolant. Even if refinished will return unless the cause is resolved. In my case, bypassing coolant through TB, was the fix.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Oh i always feel comfortable, lol, but with my luck you never know what is going to happen next....the stories i could tell....lol
We did the stainless on the plenum when we did the pull, except one got lost in never never land....but will check into the others.....

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
I noticed that. Jerry has all those stainless bolts ready to buy
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #8
Roadster

I imagine that everyone else is having the same problem with the forum. Don't know what I did, but I may be able to post......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Tom,

First, your erratic idle rpm may be due to intermittent vacuum leak.
As for the TB corrosion, this is caused by galvanic corrosion - electric current plus steel bolt and aluminum TB, both exposed to water base coolant. Even if refinished will return unless the cause is resolved. In my case, bypassing coolant through TB, was the fix.
Yun,
I found the problem apparently the smoke test was correct. I don't think I have an intermittent vacuum leak, rather it is indeed the primary blade. The TB bypass may be an option for me in the future...I will probably need your expertize for that mod as I know you have something different that you do from reading previous threads.

Did the light test recommended by G8nightman (George) with a flashlight shining through the throttle body blades. I can tell you when you turn out the lights in the garage, it gets dark real quick!!!
But the results are in and correct. When shinning the light through each secondary blade, there is no light what-so-ever coming through. When holding the light up to the primary blade from the back, you can see a good amount of light and also see how far the blade is open. I would venture to say that is my idle problem, no doubt.
Thanks George for the tip and btw, your PM box was fill as of early this AM.
Here are the pics....
light through the primary blade...

light turned off...see what I mean about it being dark.....

flashlight back on....

Now I have to decide and figure out the correct way to accomplish the task. I am not touching the secondary blades, except for a light clean up...hmmmm
maybe not!!!
Have to determine if both the min air adjustment procedure from Dominic and the application of the dry lube will correct the problem. Or just try to adjust the idle stop screw as it is in its present state, and also add the dry lube to help seal the perimeter of the primary blade.

Also looks like I need to sand the TB as some of the finish has cracked off and the top is bubbled, so it needs a refinish. Just might attempt to do it all in the engine compartment and not remove the throttle cable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I noticed that. Jerry has all those stainless bolts ready to buy
Yes, for sure....that is where the first batch came from....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 04-28-2017   #9
Jagdpanzer

Tom,
Thanks for sharing with the group. Here are a couple of photos of the difficult to adjust Allen set screw exchanged for a M5 x 0.8 25mm cap screw and full size nut. If you do this mod be sure to massage the contact end like shown in the bottom photo.

George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #10
XfireZ51

Gap on the primary certainly looks greater than .002".
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote