ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-09-2023   #1
Chuck Banks

Default Fuel gauge inaccurate

I installed new ACD FLS 1102 fuel pumps and sending unit in my 92. I bought the pumps about 10 years ago from Rock Auto and GM part number is 19180770. The part was still in the box and says made in China. The pumps work great and my 102,500 mile ZR that I?ve owned for 30 years is still performing well.
The fuel gauge starts to drop after driving 25 miles, and hits the reserve with 2 bars showing after 175 miles. I thought I might have bent the float arm when installing the pumps so pulled them but don?t see any problem. Unfortunately I discarded the original pumps so don?t have them to compare with. The ohms read 1.1 with the float at the bottom of travel and 89 ohms at the top. Has anyone else had a problem like this after installing new AC Delco fuel pumps? Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Chuck Banks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.jpg (156.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0679.jpg (157.3 KB, 29 views)
Chuck Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023   #2
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate

From 1965 through 1997 GM produce cars used 0-90 ohm fuel tank senders (0 ohm empty, 90 ohm full). Your empty/full ohm values are what they should be. Unfortunately, due to the shape of the C4 gas tank the sender output doesn't track accurately throughout the range of actual fuel level. I'm not familiar enough with the dash side of the C4 fuel gauge circuitry if there may be a way to adjust the visual gauge indication.
Perhaps someone more familiar can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023   #3
geezer

What I'm seeing in your pics is a single pump unit. Zr-1 is duel pump so does the unit sit in the tank at the designed level? Zr-1 pump is approx. 14 inch from base plate to bottom pump bottom(emply) & 3inches from base plate to full float position. Does your unit fall in these dimensions?
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023   #4
Chuck Banks

This is a dual pump OEM pump and sender unit. I determined that the float was about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the tank when installed. The arm and float are removable so that I could bend the arm so as to lower the float. In and out of the tank twice, and I'm now much closer to accurate readings. Reserve warning comes on with about five gallons remaining in the tank, but I can live with that. I think the original sending unit waited until about three gallons remaining before hitting reserve, but as you all know, pulling and reinstalling this pump is a real PIA.
Chuck Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023   #5
Young1

You are on track. Possibly the arm got tweaked/bent. Why is it easy to get the pumps out and a pain to get back in? Mystery.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote