ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-13-2018   #11
SBAquaLT5

Default Re: Deal on Mobil 1 high milage oil

Going with the trend of these cars needing more ZDDP
Mobil just updated their oil product guide in Feb 2018 and it looks Amsoil has change slightly too. Mobil High Mileage is no different than the rest of the standard. They do have some high ZDDP oils but different viscosity.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

The specs on Amsoil are also hard to find. You need to look into their MSDS doc.
https://www.amsoil.com/msds/amo.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2212.pdf
1120 mg/kg (ppm)
Old 05-14-2018   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

As most all ZR-1 drivers know, Mobil-1 is a product name, NOT a specific oil specification

Attached is a PDF file showing almost 3 pages of Mobil-1 products and their intended applications.

Their 15W-50 has the phosphorous/zinc (1200/1300ppm) that was recommended at the time our motors were built; intended specifically for flat tappet motors (liike ours).

For what it's worth, looking at the PDF file, it appears NONE of the so-called HIGH MILEAGE oils have the phosphorous/zinc at the 1200/1300ppm: ONLY 800/900 ppm and NOT specified @ the time the LT5 was in production.

Here's the MOBIL-1 that does have the "right stuff", AND specifically is formulated for FLAT TAPPET motors.

Mobil 1™ 15W‐50 1200 1300
Boosted, higher viscosity,
advanced full synthetic formula
designed for performance
vehicles.
For high HT/HS
applications. Racing and
Flat tappet applications.
SN A3/B3

This week at the BG gathering will be Gary Cline and Graham Behan. It might be an opportunity to discuss it with the people who built the LT5!

It's up to the individual to decide, I guess. But, the phrase, "Your mileage my vary!" is especially poignant in this case, methinks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf (89.8 KB, 15 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018   #13
rkreigh

mobil one works just fine, we don't have high spring pressures and you won't wipe a cam with the low phosphorous stuff on an lt5

no doubt amsoil is better, but at $22 the 15-50 mobil one works just fine and I have 105 k HARD miles to prove it. during the summer months I run the heavy stuff as that's what JL recommended.

a little added protection running laps

on the street, the 10-30 is better and same price!

if you want the high phosphorous stuff to make you feel better get the high milieage as it has more as stated above, but I don't think with our engines it's a big deal and I've pulled a few apart to see
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018   #14
rossgn49u

Good stuff. I didn't know any of the Mobil 1 products had the Zinc. I'll probably run 10W-30 in the ZR1 with our 105 degree Summer days, but will go with the 15W-50 in the old Duster.
rossgn49u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018   #15
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Is it 100% synthetic? or is it the ripoff version cracked from crude oil/natural gas and called Full synthetic? This is the big question about Mobil-1.

If it's too cheap it's not 100% synthetic. Back in 1972 Amsoil 100% synthetic was on the market, in 1974 Mobil-1 came out with a 100% synthetic to compete. Both oils had 25,000mile change intervals.
Mobil sued Castrol in the 90's about Castrols use of Full Synthetic while not putting 100% synthetic oil in the bottle. So it's Castrol fault that any North American company can use the term Full Synthetic while putting mineral oils derived from natural sources in the bottle.
Up here they sell "Full synthetic" for about $10 more for 4 946ml bottles, than conventionals, so who wouldn't buy this? The truth is that its just regular old conventional oil that was cracked from crude or natural gas. And then you find that the true 100% synthetics are in fact about double the price.

If it doesn't come from PAO, it's not a "100% synthetic oil". Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobil-1 High Mileage are the few engine oils that are actually true 100% synthetic oils.

What I'm talking about is a completely different issue than "Synthetic Blends". I'm sure many of you already knew this, but I'm sure many don't. Don't get ripped off.
Mobil-1's "Annual protection" isn't selling so well.

Very interesting, Paul. Thanks for that.

...I don't mean to get off the Mobile 1 subject, but any thoughts on the Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic? Claims to have "ultra-refined molecular components cling to your engine throughout all driving conditions," and claims it is especially protective during start up.

I just did an oil change in my daily with it. It is such a good deal at $17.88 per 5QT, 5W30 Full Synthetic, on Amazon.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018   #16
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Very interesting, Paul. Thanks for that.

...I don't mean to get off the Mobile 1 subject, but any thoughts on the Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic? Claims to have "ultra-refined molecular components cling to your engine throughout all driving conditions," and claims it is especially protective during start up.

I just did an oil change in my daily with it. It is such a good deal at $17.88 per 5QT, 5W30 Full Synthetic, on Amazon.

I know that in the UK that Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic is labeled with H/C for HydroCracked as the laws over there are different than the US. That's all I know about that oil.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote