ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-08-2015   #1
G-Sting

Default New Member Looking at a ZR1…

Greetings!

Having previously owned a '96 LT1, I made the mistake of letting my son-in-law (24) talk me into test driving a local '90 ZR-1 this weekend at a local dealership. He also drove it. "Intoxicating" was his summary remark. I knew it would be… and now we can't stop thinking about it (you guys know this!)

I was able to get the previous owner's name and number (required here by law) and had a very nice chat with him. It has 32k miles, runs well. We went over things he had done to it, and it appears to be reasonably well cared for. But I have a few questions to start.

1. There is a horizontal windshield crack about 2" long, and about 6" down from the top on the passenger side. Doesn't appear to be a rock chip, nor growing. Are new ZR-1 windshields hard to come by? What would you do here?

2. There is an on/off toggle switch right below the steering column that appears to have been installed by another previous owner. Any idea what this could be?

Thank you in advance.

cheers,
G
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #2
We Gone

Default Re: New Member Looking at a ZR1…

Welcome, You would be better off replacing the windshield with a reg one, if you can find a replacement ZR-1 windshield it will be big $ $2500+.

Not sure what the switch would be maybe a fan switch?

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Welcome to the "Brotherhood of the Beast!"

I can identify with your reaction to your first ride in a Z. I had a pristine 95 LT1/M6 car at the time I test drove my 90. Before starting the drive, I was already having seller's remorse. But, when I returned from the test, I gladly tossed in the 95 as part of the deal and bought the ZR-1 and never regretted it!

Ah, but that was 100+ rear wheel hp ago. The power delivery, the unique sound they have...nuttin' like it with a bowtie badge on it!

Good hunting!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #4
mike100

The zr-1 windshield has a special reflective layer, was made in small numbers, and you can't get them anymore (for the most part). Just get a $300 standard C4 unit without the solar ray tint. The solar ray ones delaminate and get white streaks in them anyhow.

The stuff you really want to know about is if the injectors are still original, if the trans doesn't grind in any gear on a high rpm shift, the clutch hydraulics are replaced, and any major services or mods that it has. Don't forget about the regular C4 stuff like missing the original fiberglass top, old tires, or a bad sound system- you know those can really add up.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #5
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
1. There is a horizontal windshield crack about 2" long, and about 6" down from the top on the passenger side. Doesn't appear to be a rock chip, nor growing. Are new ZR-1 windshields hard to come by? What would you do here?

As others mentioned, get a regular C4 windshield. Mine had a crack in it too. I considered spending the $2K on a reproduction replacement, but my wife talked me out it. "You'd be afraid to drive it worrying about picking up a stone chip." So true. As it turns out, I did pick up a chip on the replacement windshield from a flying rock. I'm glad it was the $300 windshield! If you're going to drive your Z, as I do, you want to enjoy driving it.

When you get the windshield replaced, be sure to ask the shop if they've done C4s before. I talked with several glass places and found someone who did an excellent job. Instead of using their weatherstrip, I bought some good stuff and had them use that.

Good luck.
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
As others mentioned, get a regular C4 windshield. Mine had a crack in it too. I considered spending the $2K on a reproduction replacement, but my wife talked me out it. "You'd be afraid to drive it worrying about picking up a stone chip." So true. As it turns out, I did pick up a chip on the replacement windshield from a flying rock. I'm glad it was the $300 windshield! If you're going to drive your Z, as I do, you want to enjoy driving it.

When you get the windshield replaced, be sure to ask the shop if they've done C4s before. I talked with several glass places and found someone who did an excellent job. Instead of using their weatherstrip, I bought some good stuff and had them use that.

Good luck.
Can you give us some specifics on the $300 windshield and some specifics on the weatherstripping you found?
I guess the regular C4 windshield does not have and does not need the radar cutout?

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-09-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #7
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Greetings!

2. There is an on/off toggle switch right below the steering column that appears to have been installed by another previous owner. Any idea what this could be?

Thank you in advance.

cheers,
G
Possible use of switch:
1. Nitrous
2 Flux Capacitor
3 Kill Switch for Warp Drive
4 Neon light kit for under carriage
5 Wife ejection seat
6 Dixie "Dukes of Hazard" Horn

Other than that, I have no clue.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #8
Bearly Flying

Actually, I have a crack in my windshield also. about 2" long. Local Auto Glass Company did a repair with some Super Glue two years ago, and it hasn't moved since.
Unless the crack is bothering your vision, try some Glass Shops and see if they can stop it. Nice to keep the original Windshield as long as possible
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #9
Z51JEFF

Not sure on the switch might be for cooling fans. How much is the car?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #10
-=Jeff=-

Switch could be:

Power key bypass
Power antenna bypass
remnants of an alarm (or current alarm)
amplifier for aftermarket add-on to the radio
Fan switch to override the ECM control
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978