ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-30-2016   #1
Dynomite

Default ZFdoc Black Label Transmission Installed in 95'

A Rebuilt (ZFdoc) Black Label Transmission was Installed in my 95' with New Pilot Bearing, New ThrowOut Bearing and New Drive Shaft U-Joints
And New Wilwood C5-Z06 Brakes
Installation of Wilwood Rotors and C4 to C5-Z06 Conversion

Blue Label Removed (TOP), Rebuilt (ZFdoc) Black Label Installed (BOTTOM).

Note: ZFdoc Rebuilds the 1-4 shift Solenoid is removed.

Note: Pilot Bearing
ZR-1 Transmission Install and Lift Tricks
Throwout Bearings
C4 beam plates

1. Sequence of Removing Blue Label Transmission.
A. Remove Exhaust Hangers and three Exhaust Bolts attaching to CATS.
B. Support Engine Under Oil Pan.
C. Remove C-Frame Bolts and ZFdoc C-Frame Brackets.
D. Remove Shift Knob and Center Console.
E. Remove Drive Shaft U-Joint Clamps at Differential.
F. Lower Transmission and remove Drive Shaft and C-Frame (a bit tricky removing C-Frame).
G. Remove Bolts from Transmission and Remove Transmission.
H. Remove Clutch Slave Cylinder from Bell Housing and slip Throwout Bearing Pivot to Drivers Side.
I. Remove Bell Housing.
J. Remove Pressure Plate.
K. Remove Pilot Bearing.
The steps A-J are straight forward.

2. Removal of Pilot Bearing.
A 9PC Blind Hole Slide Hammer Pilot Bearing Puller Internal Extractor Removal Kit was used to remove the pilot bearing.

3. Installation of New U-Joints in Main Drive Shaft.
Dana Spicer 5-3613X U-Joints w/Coated Caps for Alum Driveshaft were installed on both ends of the main drive shaft.

4. Intallation of Rebuilt Black Label Transmission.
ZFdoc Rebuilt 91' Black Label ZF S6-40 Transmission was lifted into place using a Harbor Freight 800 lb Capacity Transmisison Jack.

Transmission Jack
The Transmission Jack works perfectly with the ZR1 on KwikLift 18 inches off the ground (Perfect height). The 800 lb Capacity Transmission Jack has roll and tilt adjustments for a perfect match when locating the transmission on the Bell Housing (Clutch depressed last 2 inches of installation). The transmission (on Transmission Jack) can be rolled under KwiKLift from the front as the shifter will clear the cross members and bell housing/oil pan (slipped along side of oil pan).

Rebuilt Black Label Transmission Installed

5. Test Drive

Went for a test drive with several stops at 25 mph wearing off the Black Powder Coating from the Wilwood Rotors. Then some high speed stops and even some speed shifting. WOW....that ZFdoc Black Label shifts so crisp and easy it is amazing when compared to Stock ZF S6-40 Transmissions. ZFdoc Rebuilds are recommended for anyone having Transmission issues and for those that want the best shifting Transmission available for the ZR-1.

And if you want to STOP QUICK.......Wilwood Rotors with C5-Z06 conversions are the way to go

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-30-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #2
mike100

Default Re: ZFdoc Black Label Transmission Installed in 95'

When I was testing the market to see if I could sell my '91, I got tired of the lowball offers and all that. Had somebody actually came out to drive the thing, I'm sure it would have sold. It is hard to explain the value added for the small repairs and the big ones, like a blue printed ZF. It really makes the car better- even if it isn't as fun as extra HP.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #3
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
When I was testing the market to see if I could sell my '91, I got tired of the lowball offers and all that. Had somebody actually came out to drive the thing, I'm sure it would have sold. It is hard to explain the value added for the small repairs and the big ones, like a blue printed ZF. It really makes the car better- even if it isn't as fun as extra HP.
It is very close to as much fun as extra HP. The ZF now almost shifts itself...it is amazing. I do not know what Bill Does......but the "Does" part is no question on the improvement. I have six operational ZFs and this rebuild is soooooo obvious in the difference from the other stock ZFs.

I can pull a Transmission in an hour but switching from Blue Label to Black Label requires a pull of the Bell Housing and Pressure Plate as well which is usually followed up by pulling the Pilot since I am there

You do NOT have to pull the CATS when removing the Bell Housing

The Throw Out Bearings are different ID for the Blue Label vrs Black Label which is the ONLY difference between the Transmissions as far as fit. The Black Label also has the reverse shift collar which the Blue Label does not have.

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-01-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2016   #4
mike100

Did you retain the shift lockout ring or convert to the '95-up crash-thru detent?
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #5
Dynomite

Shift lock ring was kept original on the Black Label Transmission. I Prefer that over the Crash-Thru

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-01-2016 at 09:58 PM.