ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-29-2016   #21
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions

As I stated, definitely can't speak to road noise, but they hook better than most anything else that fits a Z. As far as lateral grip is concerned, it's just silly with these things...they stick so well that they will accentuate any slop that exists in a vehicle's chassis, which may or not be a good thing. Plus, they look cool and they're a real 315 (as opposed to a Sumi, which seemed more like a 285 to me.) Highly recommended, especially considering they cost less than the Goodyears.

I searched for a rear pic of my car but I guess I deleted them all. This won't really show you the width very well but maybe you can tell somewhat. They definitely fill the wheelwells better than Sumis or Nittos.

KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #22
Kwood

That is one bad *** looking Z. This leads me to another question. Everyone seems to get different rims. Mine is all original stock, too, and I like the razor blades. Is there a reason I can't use them with new tires?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #23
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood View Post
That is one bad *** looking Z. This leads me to another question. Everyone seems to get different rims. Mine is all original stock, too, and I like the razor blades. Is there a reason I can't use them with new tires?

Thanks. I do miss that car.

All OEM ZR-1 wheels, be they '90 cuisinarts, '91-'93 sawblades or '94-'95 A-molds, were manufactured in identical sizes and offsets. Furthermore, all ZR-1s were fitted with 275/40/17 front tires and 315/35/17 rear tires. Does this answer your question?
Old 09-29-2016   #24
Kwood

Think so. I get the sizing, just was not sure why EVERYONE seems to get custom.

Old 09-29-2016   #25
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood View Post
Think so. I get the sizing, just was not sure why EVERYONE seems to get custom.

Just like any other car, guys like to have something unique. But it's very difficult with a ZR-1, due to the age of the cars and how odd the sizes and offsets are. If you want to do it right, you either have to have expensive wheels custom-made, or buy some other guy's custom-made wheels.
Old 09-29-2016   #26
Bob Eyres

They get them primarily because they want to "upgrade" to larger size rims to accommodate the lower profile tires developed in the years since the original ZR-1 sizes were established. Some think it makes the car look more modern.

I'm probably in the minority, because I like to use the original size wheels, and design, because they look "right" for that car. Maybe you can get away with (Plus one), which is 18". But larger than that looks goofy to me on a car designed more that thirty years ago. And the worst is big a** wheels and low profile tires on an early Corvette resto-mod. Many people differ on this, of course, but that's what gives the hobby variety.
One mod that I've wanted to do on my ZR-1 is widen the rear rims to 12" and use 335x35x17' tires. To me, "wider IS cool".

Sorry for the long winded opinion, but IMHO, the older these cars get, the more we should leave them alone, design wise......power mods, that's another story.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #27
CamP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post

I'm probably in the minority, because I like to use the original size wheels, and design, because they look "right" for that car. Maybe you can get away with (Plus one), which is 18". But larger than that looks goofy to me on a car designed more that thirty years ago. And the worst is big a** wheels and low profile tires on an early Corvette resto-mod. Many people differ on this, of course, but that's what gives the hobby variety.
One mod that I've wanted to do on my ZR-1 is widen the rear rims to 12" and use 335x35x17' tires. To me, "wider IS cool".

Sorry for the long winded opinion, but IMHO, the older these cars get, the more we should leave them alone, design wise......power mods, that's another story.
I agree Bob. I had 95 wheels on my 90 and I sold them and put the stock 90 wheels back on because it just looks "right". The car has a Corey Henderson built, fully ported top end and I love that it's a sleeper.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #28
Kwood

All great info, what a great forum. I agree with original, and the 90 is the only with salad shooter or whatever you want to call them. I love them. Still not sure which tires to buy but I have a lot more info now!

Old 09-29-2016   #29
henryr

what about the mickey thompson street comps.... ?
henryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016   #30
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
what about the mickey thompson street comps.... ?
They look like they'd be better in the wet than the Toyos. They are relatively cheap @ less than $150 (fronts), and come in the right sizes.

Is anybody here running them?
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote