ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
jrd1990zr1

Default 1990 AC question

I am getting code 09 which is low Freon. I am running through the diagnostic in the 1990 FSM and it says to add 1 lb. of R12. The AC clutch is not engaged so my question is, will I be able to add the Freon through the low side of the system without the AC clutch engaged? Has anyone done this in the past?

Since the car is almost 35 years old I have read that the seal at the front of the compressor is the likely leak point. Any suggestions on a source that will rebuild the compressor for either R 12 or R 132.

BTW I know I can't mix the two refrigerants, Should the compressor be the culprit maybe it is time to convert the car to the current refrigerant. Thoughts?

Thanks.

1968 convertible Lemans Blue,
1986 coupe Medium Blue NCRS Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2529 Red NCRS Regional and National Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2124 Charcoal Metallic NCRS Top Flight 2010 & 2018,
2003 Anniversary Red Convertible (sold)
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Corvette95

Default Re: 1990 AC question

In my experiece is unless it is totally out, the compressor will kick on as you add the 1lb. If it doesn't start you can unplug the pressure sensor on the a/c line and jump it to manually start the compressor. I am not 100% sure exactly which plug it is as I would refer to the FSM if needed so it would be good to look up the exact plug location just in case but I think you will be fine getting it to come one with just the can of freon when you crack it open. I still run R12 too.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
mlipmd

If the Freon level is that low that the compressor will not engage, you have to bypass or short the low pressure switch to turn on the compressor to get Freon into the system. You will not be able to add Freon to the system unless the compressor is operating using the store-bought cans of refrigerant. And the amount of Freon needed will depend on the low and high pressures in the system, which is way more accurate than saying "add 1lb. of R12". which may be a great excess.
There are many places for leaks to occur, mine was from the Schrader valve on the high pressure line and was cured when I replaced that valve stem. You have to find the leak source before just adding more Freon (which can be done with a leak detector or a UV light dye detector) before assuming anything or just replacing parts hit and miss' till you find it. If you just refill the system you are wasting your time and your money as the leak will persist and you will soon be back where you started from.
You need to do some research and read about the AC system and watch some videos on this, which is way more valuable than just getting some advice, good or bad, on here.
Or bring it to a professional and have someone else look at it.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
If the Freon level is that low that the compressor will not engage, you have to bypass or short the low pressure switch to turn on the compressor to get Freon into the system. You will not be able to add Freon to the system unless the compressor is operating using the store-bought cans of refrigerant. And the amount of Freon needed will depend on the low and high pressures in the system, which is way more accurate than saying "add 1lb. of R12". which may be a great excess.
There are many places for leaks to occur, mine was from the Schrader valve on the high pressure line and was cured when I replaced that valve stem. You have to find the leak source before just adding more Freon (which can be done with a leak detector or a UV light dye detector) before assuming anything or just replacing parts hit and miss' till you find it. If you just refill the system you are wasting your time and your money as the leak will persist and you will soon be back where you started from.
You need to do some research and read about the AC system and watch some videos on this, which is way more valuable than just getting some advice, good or bad, on here.
Or bring it to a professional and have someone else look at it.
I understand there are numerous places for a leak to occur, I have every intention of using an UV dye to find the source of the leak. However in order to add the dye, I have to charge the system first. The "add 1 lb. of R 12" comes directly from the 1990 FSM, which is why I asked the question if the system will take refrigerant without the AC clutch engaged. The FSM as written implies it will, I was asking if anyone else had encountered this condition. Additionally there is no mention in the FSM about jumping the low pressure switch. There is a note in the FSM that the compressor should not be operated without freon in the system.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
rufcar

I just did my 88 I did the ne compressor last yr in my 90 zr1 also. The compressor wont kick in with too low freon plus as you add it the sensor has the compressor kick on and off frequently as you add freon it slow down. I too had leaks as my 88 is a Challenge car and the ac has not been used in a long time. We found 2 leaks 1 was the Schrader valve itself. The other was the top aluminum supply to the firewall. The O ring was deteriorated . So now I am checking weekly to see if we got them all.
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
jrd1990zr1

I tried to charge the system using the FSM procedure, no luck. Unfortunately there is no one locally which can work on a R12 car, good old NYS has banned R12 Freon and gives heavy fines to mechanics who use R12. So it looks like I will have to go the R134 conversion route.

I have a local shop which will do the conversion early next month. So much for keeping the car all original.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
WARP TEN

I had Marc Haibeck convert my'93 to R134 many years ago. He said, per GM's directive, no A/C equipment had to be changed, just change to fittings and fully evacuate the system. You might check with him on how to do it. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Mystic ZR-1

John
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"
Just sent ya a text, maybe that'll work?
Doug
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
John
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"
Just sent ya a text, maybe that'll work?
Doug
Gee, I called you twice, I'll try again

John

Old 1 Day Ago   #10
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I had Marc Haibeck convert my'93 to R134 many years ago. He said, per GM's directive, no A/C equipment had to be changed, just change to fittings and fully evacuate the system. You might check with him on how to do it. --Bob
Thanks Bob. You are correct. I spoke with Marc and will do the conversion myself as soon as the parts arrive.