ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-30-2023   #1
Mikey

Default Side and rear emblems complete on my 1991

Mission complete. The rear on my '91 had the two posts but not wing nuts holding them on. The posts seemed to be either mushroomed or had a press-fit cap. There was just enough room to fit my arm up in the rear bumper from underneath and use wire cutters to snip the posts off. Needed a flashlight to see while doing it.

I ended up using a plastic thumb scraper tool to get under the edge of the emblem and work it free. I use this same tool for removing old vinyl decals off my race car. Once the emblem was off, used some goo gone and the thumb scraper to get most of the old foam tape off.

Placement of the new rear emblem was easy, I didn't cut the posts off and just used the existing holes to help align and cover up what was left of the old foam tape (very thin layer remained in about 25 percent of the emblem outline area).

For emblem color, I chose black background with silver ZR-1 letters and red bowtie. That was the colors I have seen on nearly every black 1992-1995 ZR-1 hood. It's bright and obvious and helps advertise the car is special.

The emblem I pulled off the rear of my 1991 was dark gray background with black ZR-1 letters. After some investigating, I believe the 1990 and 1991 cars used this color scheme. Charcoal gray is a rare body color only offered in 1990 and 1991. It seems the original black cars shared the same emblem. This color scheme was cool in its own rite, looking a bit stealth. But in the end, I think I prefer the emblem background color to match the car body color. Finding 2 more original charcoal gray to use on the sides would probably take awhile anyway - there is just one on ebay now for $70.

For the side emblems, I measured the reported 1-7/8 inch up from the bottom and 5-3/4 inch forward of the aft hood edges respectively and used blue painters tape to mark the intended emblem placement. The post I found wasn't clear, but I assumed the measurement was to the bottom and the rear of the emblem. I lightly tacked the edge of the driver's side emblem and then stepped back to look. To my eye, it seemed this location was not aesthetically pleasing. The emblem seemed to be kind of "floating" up in no-man's land. I settled on 1-1/8 inch up.

See photos for final results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR-1 rear emblem original.jpg (157.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 rear emblem new.jpg (174.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 LF emblem.jpg (254.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 RF emblem.jpg (179.6 KB, 60 views)
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023   #2
bob@tradeshowconsulting.c

Default Re: Side and rear emblems complete on my 1991

Looks Awsome..... Nice cars, garage and stonework
bob@tradeshowconsulting.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023   #3
GOLDCYLON

I like it! The emblems looks like they should have came on every model ZR-1 from the factory right? Also like the stonework... Just finished our own stonework project at our house to appease the spousal support unit number 1.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023   #4
ghlkal

Looks good Mikey

I changed my rear badge also. I like the looks of the gray on red (purists - avert your eyes)

Were there speed nuts on the back of your old badge? There weren't on mine, and I didn't think they were used by Chevy. The holes and pins were for alignment; the tape kept the badge on.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z rear badge.jpg (81.9 KB, 12 views)
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023   #5
Mikey

There were small metal flanged caps pressed onto the studs. Not sure if that's what people are calling speed caps

I used the edges of wire cutters to get under the flange and work the cap back enough to then cut through the plastic stud.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote