ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-14-2013   #1
ZR1North

Default Re: The Dreaded No Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearly Flying View Post
ZR1North; That's kinda my problem except Mine will start when it's hot, won't start when it has been sitting..

Scott; I will try pumping the clutch.

Thanks for your help on this.
That is a bit odd for the dreaded no-start issue, BF. The starter problem will manifest itself even after the car has been shut down for a while since it is subject to heat soak, but I assume your reference to "sitting" is to do with a very long shut down or overnight situation. If so, I agree that you probably have other or additional issues than just the starter. Others have identified the likely culprits. Good luck!
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #2
Bearly Flying

Scott; Tried pumping the clutch as you suggested. No luck.
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #3
scottfab

Quote:
Scott; Tried pumping the clutch as you suggested. No luck.
Time to test by a jumper around the clutch swithc but it's looking like starter

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #4
Z51JEFF

I have an NOS safety switch AC Delco part #D2213A if the OP needs it,$100 is what I paid.Ive had a few no start issues with my 91.Ive replaced the OEM starter relay and also ran a second ground From the starter relay,so far no issues but this has only happened a few times in all the years Ive had the car.Ive got the secondary relay if the problem continues.When I was looking for the safety switch it was nowhere to be found,lots of places had it listed on there websites but when t came time to order one,no deal.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #5
gbmidyear66

Been overseas for a week on business, come back and this thread has taken on a life of its own. Anyhow, all good stuff

Z51JEFF - thanks for the offer, but I am inclined to think my issue was most likely an incorrect key read by the VATS. I'm going to leave the clutch switch as is. I put the hush panel back in and cleaned the ignition cylinder today.

I'm going to keep a close watch on the behavior each time I try to start the car to try and isolate clutch Vs VATS - hopefully my experience was a "one of".
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
4.10's, Custom PROM, Flowmaster, Top End Port
NCRS BC Chapter
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #6
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
.... snip...

I'm going to keep a close watch on the behavior each time I try to start the car to try and isolate clutch Vs VATS - hopefully my experience was a "one of".
There is a thread somewhere that lists in order of "most likely to occur" the "NO start" issues. If you print it and have it in the car you can refer to it quickly upon the next event (if ever). If it is not already, it should be a sticky thread and in the Solutions list.

Old 06-16-2013   #7
Bearly Flying

Pulled the Plenum, finally got the starter out.
The positive contact inside the starter solenoid is chewed up pretty bad, the contact area has been chewed down from the original thickness of 1/8 inch to around 1/32". Going to try and find a replacement.
The negative post shows some wear, but could still clean it up.

A couple other items found on the way into the starter. It appears the vacuum actuators for the secondaries were install upside down, the arm of the actuator was running at an angle to the bellcranks on both cannisters.

Tested all my fuel injectors, found one bad primary, 6.2 ohms, the rest all came in at 12.3 to 12.6. They were the original injectors, according to the part numbers on them. Ordered new injectors.
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #8
WVZR-1

Quote:
A couple other items found on the way into the starter. It appears the vacuum actuators for the secondaries were install upside down, the arm of the actuator was running at an angle to the bellcranks on both cannisters.
Do NOT just change the orientation of the actuators without considerable thought. The "backwards" has been discussed/debated for years and I'd think most would agree "NOW" that you don't mess with what you've got. I've read that actually they could be installed in either direction in production, it wasn't the result of some "nitwit" as some claimed and once installed you need to consider the diaphragm is going to take a "set" so to speak and tampering with it would/could likely lead to failure or problems.

Those actuators have done it "their way" for 22+ years and you want to "retrain" them. Never!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-16-2013 at 02:26 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #9
scottfab

Quote:
...snip...

....snip.....
I found mine to be backward also. That was in 98. I turned them around and have had no issue with binding after having done so. The risk you run when that angle is not straight is binding. Binding can cause one side to engage well before the other. The result is a less dramatic WOT effect.
It is also my opinion that you'll eventually get leaks in the diaphragm of the actuator if you don't turn them.

Old 06-16-2013   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I found mine to be backward also. That was in 98. I turned them around and have had no issue with binding after having done so. The risk you run when that angle is not straight is binding. Binding can cause one side to engage well before the other. The result is a less dramatic WOT effect.
It is also my opinion that you'll eventually get leaks in the diaphragm of the actuator if you don't turn them.
I believe it was documented by maybe Jerry that just the opposite is the case, I don't recall if it was on the @listserve or CF but I believe PW was a "proponent" at one time for reversing them and I notice he made "no mention" a couple hours ago. I don't believe he would have overlooked the opportunity.

Where's Jerry?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote