ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-19-2015   #1
KPW

Default Speedometer LCD Issue

Hi All,

Anybody have any experience with the speedo LCD going a little wonky?

This happened suddenly.

Some of the LCD elements are faded, and there are some that show up (RANGE when in MPG mode, other digit parts, etc.) when they aren't supposed to. Seems to be fairly random as far as which ones. It has gone back to normal once or twice since it started doing this, but usually goes wonky again a day or two later.

The odometer section is unaffected, so I'm OK on fuel monitoring, and I can pull a fairly reliable speed off of my GPS head unit. Of the issues to have, this isn't so bad...still a bit of a nuisance though

Last edited by KPW; 10-19-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Picture Resize
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Speedometer LCD Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Hi All,

Anybody have any experience with the speedo LCD going a little wonky?

This happened suddenly.

Some of the LCD elements are faded, and there are some that show up (RANGE when in MPG mode, other digit parts, etc.) when they aren't supposed to. Seems to be fairly random as far as which ones. It has gone back to normal once or twice since it started doing this, but usually goes wonky again a day or two later.

The odometer section is unaffected, so I'm OK on fuel monitoring, and I can pull a fairly reliable speed off of my GPS head unit. Of the issues to have, this isn't so bad...still a bit of a nuisance though
I have seen and heard about this issue popping up on the C4 section of the Corvette Forum. Usually the cluster needs to be sent in for a rebuild/repair. Normally the complaint is missing segments and bleeding out of the LCD display. I know of no other method to repair this other than mentioned... The cluster needs to be serviced.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #3
-=Jeff=-

Well, All you need is to replace the LCD. the cluster itself it probably fine, the LCD tends to be the issue. I had it happen on my 89 with the 91 dash, I ended up swapping the LCD only with no issues..

The challenge is finding one. You can buy a 90-91 6K tach Cluster and swap JUST the LCD and that will work too
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #4
aafc

I came across this web site for restoring the LCD panel.
BATEE.COM
Click on DIY Articles
Under 1990-1996 Repair Click on Restoring the LCD Panel (90-96)
Check out video of this process. DIY kit for $59.95 + 5.95 plus S&H
I may have to do this on my ins panel soon. can't see some of the
information.
John
1990 white/black #2546
one of a few auto (4l80E ) eq. ZR-1's
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote