ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-21-2023   #11
AlbanyBrian

Default Re: Winter projects

A few pictures from the pinion seal R&R.

Getting started:

Getting started, viewed form back:

Rear portion of exhaust removed, lots of grease from seepage:

Exhaust removed, driveshaft removed, pinion flange and seal removed (C-beam back in place while seal issue was resolved, see below):

New seal installed and mostly cleaned up:

Pinion flange holder and torque wrench in place ready to tighten pinion nut to spec:

One thing I found out with the 4:10 gears the pinion seal and pinion nut are not the same as with the original gear set. The set up in this car required the Dana 36 pinion seal and pinion nut. I do not know when this gear set was installed, probably 20+ years ago. But apparently the pinion used has a smaller OD pinion flange and a smaller nut compared to the original gear set. The pinion seal and nut I ordered for a 1993 Dana 44 were not correct, the nut was too larger and the opening in the seal for the pinion flange was too large. The seal I removed when I cross referenced the number on it turns out to be the seal for the Dana 36. The diff. is a Dana 44.

I torqued the pinion nut per the Dana 44 spec, I wonder if I should torque per the Dana 36 since nut is the smaller size of the 36? Any thoughts on this?
Regards,
Brian

Last edited by AlbanyBrian; 12-23-2023 at 09:44 PM.
AlbanyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023   #12
Prez1967

Winter/Spring 2023/24

1. Replace Exhaust Hanger/isolator behind rear bumper
2. Fit Callaway/Brembo Front Brakes
3. Fit Shelby Series 1 Wheels
4. Diagnose a Gas/Clutch smell from last drive lol
5. Paint and fit rear quarter panel trim
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023   #13
Matt B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
My projects for the '91 ZR-1:

1) replace the battery
2) drive the car
3) drive the car some more
4) drive the car even more
5) re-fill the gas tank, drive some more

My garage expansion is making progress so this will help facilitate having all the cars "jump in and go" ready so that any good morning I have the opportunity to drive I can just gooooo..
Sounds like a perfectly well composed plan, Mike!
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023   #14
efnfast

Fix leaky clutch. I'm hoping it's a loose fitting on my Ram hydraulic throw out, but that means pull the drive shaft, pull the C beam, drop the tranny, just to tighten a fitting.
U Joints on the drive shaft (while it's out).
U joints on the D side half shaft. Did the P side already.
My poor car has been sitting since MR9.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023   #15
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Fix leaky clutch. I'm hoping it's a loose fitting on my Ram hydraulic throw out, but that means pull the drive shaft, pull the C beam, drop the tranny, just to tighten a fitting.
U Joints on the drive shaft (while it's out).
U joints on the D side half shaft. Did the P side already.
My poor car has been sitting since MR9.
That is precisely why I have never been fond of trying a Ram clutch setup. One small leak and everything but the kitchen sink has to come out to address the assembly. When they work, they work great, but when they need attention, that is a job I do not envy if you have to do it on your back.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024   #16
AlbanyBrian

Update on steering column pivot pin replacement:
Here is the steering column lowered on to the seat cushion, both side covers removed, my pin puller set up. A thread rod, 8-32, with several washers and a 13mm crows foot line wrench to pull against.

A picture of my pivot pin puller.

After pivot pin removal.

I think the hardest part of this pivot pin replacement is the reinstallation of this dimmer switch slider/actuator and the side cover that goes over it. It takes some fiddling to get it back together. As you fiddle with it all of a sudden it pops back in place correctly. This is the slider that goes in behind the side cover.

New pin reinstalled before side cover is reinstalled.

The hard part done, side cover on. Actuator not seen as it is behind the side cover.

Outer cover reinstalled, column ready to be raised and support bolted back in place.

I purchased my pin from Marc Haibeck and he was helpful with tips for getting the side cover back on. I also found this video on YouTube, link below, that was helpful. It is a pivot pin replacement on a 3rd gen Camaro, and they also show the actuator and side cover details on a column on the bench. Help me get a feel where the parts go because it is not very easy to see with the column dropped down on the seat cushion in a C4 Corvette.
https://youtu.be/PLoom3cLaPE?si=LJrn30J2ud8SJlT4
Brian
AlbanyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote