ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-18-2020   #1
ram_g

Default RIP LTPWS sensor; all removed - no error light

Some days ago my Service LTPWS error light came on with the error code for the right rear tire; at about the same time I began to feel a strong vibration at any speed above 60 mph. There was no unusual noise.

I took it in to the local Discount Tire and had them unmount the right rear tire. The ziploc bag in the picture contains the remnants of the sensor as found. I had them dismount all the other tires and remove the other three sensors as well. All of those look to be in good shape.

When the LTPWS light came on and the vibration started, it had been about a week since I had had new Nittos installed at the same tire store. Given the proximity of events my guess is that they damaged the sensor when replacing the tire. But it didn't show up for a week, during which time I had made several highway-speed runs. I'm just happy that I caught it before it did any worse damage.

With all sensors removed, there is no LTPWS warning light any more (my car is a 1991). I'm happy about that too.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020   #2
Ccmano

Default Re: RIP LTPWS sensor; all removed - no error light

Good call. As far as I'm concerned those things are useless ancient technology that becomes dangerous when they eventually come apart. Anytime you change tires you have to coach the installers any pray they don't damage the sensors. Unless your into NCRS they have little value. I've taken them out both of the cars I've owned.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020   #3
G8nightman

Yea on the earlier car once sensors are removed the light stays off

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #4
Prez1967

What happens to later cars? I have a '94. No light on dash but dont "need" them as I check tire pressures pretty regularly.
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #5
Subfixer

I had to remove the bulb on my 92 without TPWS sensors.
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #6
BigJohn

I have removed the light bulbs in my 95 and 96 after removal of tire pressure sensors
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
Yea on the earlier car once sensors are removed the light stays off

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
ONLY the MY 90 and 91s
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Some days ago my Service LTPWS error light came on with the error code for the right rear tire; at about the same time I began to feel a strong vibration at any speed above 60 mph. There was no unusual noise.

I took it in to the local Discount Tire and had them unmount the right rear tire. The ziploc bag in the picture contains the remnants of the sensor as found. I had them dismount all the other tires and remove the other three sensors as well. All of those look to be in good shape.

When the LTPWS light came on and the vibration started, it had been about a week since I had had new Nittos installed at the same tire store. Given the proximity of events my guess is that they damaged the sensor when replacing the tire. But it didn't show up for a week, during which time I had made several highway-speed runs. I'm just happy that I caught it before it did any worse damage.

With all sensors removed, there is no LTPWS warning light any more (my car is a 1991). I'm happy about that too.
That looks too clean for a sensor that broke away. Its more likely Discount Tire broke it when they broke the bead on the tire and rim with the breakdown machine. If it had separated and broke away with would have been destroyed with the rotation. There is NONE of that damage pictured.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-19-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2020   #9
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
That looks too clean for a sensor that broke away. Its more likely Discount Tire broke it when they broke the bead on the tire and rim with the breakdown machine. If it had separated and broke away with would have been destroyed with the rotation. There is NON of that damage pictured.
Who knows.

Facts/sequence:
- Discount Tire broke the bead on the original (29 year old) tires and mounted new Nittos in their place. I had instructed them to be careful with where they broke the bead and AFAIK they did take care.
- For several days afterwards there was no problem and no LTPWS light.
- Then the Service LTPWS light came on and vibrations started. The code indicated the right rear.
- Discount Tire broke all the beads again to remove the sensors.
- 3 of the 4 sensors were fine, the right rear looked like this.

So could they have damaged the right rear sensor in such a way that there was a delayed action problem? Sure, I guess. But being p.o.'d with them is hardly any point because there's nothing they can do about it and I feel like I'm better off without the sensors anyway.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Who knows.

Facts/sequence:
- Discount Tire broke the bead on the original (29 year old) tires and mounted new Nittos in their place. I had instructed them to be careful with where they broke the bead and AFAIK they did take care.
- For several days afterwards there was no problem and no LTPWS light.
- Then the Service LTPWS light came on and vibrations started. The code indicated the right rear.
- Discount Tire broke all the beads again to remove the sensors.
- 3 of the 4 sensors were fine, the right rear looked like this.

So could they have damaged the right rear sensor in such a way that there was a delayed action problem? Sure, I guess. But being p.o.'d with them is hardly any point because there's nothing they can do about it and I feel like I'm better off without the sensors anyway.
Welcome to the FORUM. I'm just telling you what happened. These are charged by a Piezo battery its possible one simply died. Usually when these go out its a violent affair and you will notice the carnage inside the tire. I go to Discount all the time but I bring in a demonstration sensor with the band when its time to change the tires. Normally the head is mounted in the center 180 degrees from the valve stem. I dont tell you this to piss you off but to simply tell the story is not at all accurate. Its entirely possible the sensor was partially coming off as the plastic can break but I doubt it looking at this picture. As to not having bands I disagree with your statement but it is hard finding replacement bands... So some folks pull em. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V