ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-30-2015   #51
Big D

Default Re: LT5 miss at all speeds

With the schematic/diagram I can trace the circuit inside the ECM to see what controls the injector and if I find that the ECM is causing my problem I can hopefully determine if the internal circuit is replaceable or repairable. W/O the schematic/diagram I haven't a clue.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #52
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
With the schematic/diagram I can trace the circuit inside the ECM to see what controls the injector and if I find that the ECM is causing my problem I can hopefully determine if the internal circuit is replaceable or repairable. W/O the schematic/diagram I haven't a clue.
Just my opinion, but you are quite a few steps from having the ECM as the culprit.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #53
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Just my opinion, but you are quite a few steps from having the ECM as the culprit.
I agree.
Re-pin the connector with the pins I sent you.
Try not to overthink this.
It's not totally inconceivable that you might have a bad ECM, but you won't know for sure until you fix the pins first.
I made the same mistake.
Took me over 3 years, more cash than I'll ever tell wifey about, untold stress and aggravation to finally nail it down.
And truth be told, I'd likely never have found it if it wasn't for this Forum.
The Brotherhood of the Beast is alive and well.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #54
IMZZ

Any luck? I finished my injector/plenum job. Everything came out OK. I just had to decide when to quit cleaning or fixing things. I wanted to be able to enjoy it this summer and remember that winter is coming.
IMZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #55
Johnny5

my father changed the back 2 plugs the other day and it runs great now. Not a damn problem.....except my bose radio lol Did you ever find out why your lt5 is missing? I am curious
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #56
Johnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Food for thought...

After I first got my Z, it had a slight "miss" on one cylinder that wasn't so apparent under heavier throttle - if much at all. Turned out to be a burnt valve, stemming from a weak primary injector!

Just sayin.....
Hey Paul it turns out it was just my plugs, but what did you do to fix your valves. Were you able to buy a single valve? did you have to buy a whole head? and where could you even purchase valves or a head?
Old 08-17-2015   #57
Johnny5

Quote:
Ok everyone, Got the plenum off with no problem. Way easier then what I had imagined with all the good info on the Registry. Took about 40 minutes and broke nothing. However, I tried a suggested method for anti-freeze removal, just drain the plenum, and I would not advise that method. After releasing the plenum, antifreeze began bubbling up from the two holes in the injector housing. Plugged the holes quickly and then drained the radiator. Saving ten minutes at first cost me hours in cleanup. Dang, I hate antifreeze. The valley was extremely clean, prior to the antifreeze dump and all connectors and hoses are in very good shape. Well, at least I know the valley drain works just fine.Tested the wires and they come in at 7.5-9 K ohms for all, well within spec. Also checked the coils, all 4 coil resistance within spec. Also did a visual of the coils and they all look good, no signs of heat deterioration or cracking so I am going to let them go and just change out the injectors. I may end up regretting this decision but I was going to go with stock coils anyway so I don't see the advantage at this point. This is a very low mileage car. Looking forward to installing the new FIC injectors and getting her back on the road.

Big D
69 L46, M21
90 ZR1
95 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2014 Triumph Thruxton
Working with Jim Wazoo Leader he had a coolant suction tool. It is very useful. His hooks up to an air compressor which is cool but I don't have room in the garage for that if I pull the plenum with the car in there so I bought the same thing but it is a manual pump and you can reverse it and put the coolant back in. Pretty neat and handy for plenum pulls. I bought mine for $80.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...acF8WzeuH_logC
Old 08-18-2015   #58
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
my father changed the back 2 plugs the other day and it runs great now. Not a damn problem.....except my bose radio lol Did you ever find out why your lt5 is missing? I am curious
Nope, still chasing it. Haven't had a chance to get back to it because the Blazer decided it liked to shift into 4WD all by itself so I've been playing with that with my free time. Looks like a TCCM problem.

Still is pointing to the ECM with the big difference in resistance between #6 and the other 7 pins into the ECM. Not yet willing to shell out the $300 or more to experiment.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #59
Johnny5

Quote:
Nope, still chasing it. Haven't had a chance to get back to it because the Blazer decided it liked to shift into 4WD all by itself so I've been playing with that with my free time. Looks like a TCCM problem.

Still is pointing to the ECM with the big difference in resistance between #6 and the other 7 pins into the ECM. Not yet willing to shell out the $300 or more to experiment.
My father owned a 96 jimmy and a 2000 jimmy and did all his work himself. PM me with your number and im sure he could point you in the right direction
Old 08-18-2015   #60
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Hey Paul it turns out it was just my plugs, but what did you do to fix your valves. Were you able to buy a single valve? did you have to buy a whole head? and where could you even purchase valves or a head?
Pay us a visit & see what we have.
www.jerrysgaskets.com
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote