ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-31-2015   #1
Billy Mild

Default Battery Recommendation

Yesterday when I picked my car at the body shop the LT5 was just too much to start in the cold weather. I got a jump and made it to work. The car is on my float charger now, but its time to start looking for a battery. Any suggestions? I would like an AGM battery but so far have had 0 luck finding our size.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Battery Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Yesterday when I picked my car at the body shop the LT5 was just too much to start in the cold weather. I got a jump and made it to work. The car is on my float charger now, but its time to start looking for a battery. Any suggestions? I would like an AGM battery but so far have had 0 luck finding our size.
Odessy batteries are AGM type. I believe group size 75 fits our car. Stay with side post only. Top post may interfere with steel tube around front side frame rail to bulkhead reinforcing.
http://shop.odysseybattery.com/k/sea...6.102555.0.0.0
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015   #3
Billy Mild

I see some of the autoparts stores carry AGM battery, but it seems they don't make them in our size. Group 75. Optima does not either. Any other brands or suggestions?

I have heard good things about Odessy batteries in the past. I know a few guys who run their race battery's in their cars without issues.
Old 11-01-2015   #4
RussMcB

Why not just get a good battery from Sears or Walmart? I don't think the LT-5 has any special requirements, does it?

I'd need to hear some pretty great advantages about a battery before I spent $300 for one.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015   #5
Billy Mild

AGM batteries usually last longer, don't emit any bad gasses, and can handle being completely discharged and recharged without losing any functionality.
Old 11-01-2015   #6
RICHARD TILL

A red top Optima will work. Just trim the vertical lip off of the passenger side only of the battery tray. It`ll be a tight fit. I did this a couple years ago.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015   #7
ZRXMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
A red top Optima will work. Just trim the vertical lip off of the passenger side only of the battery tray. It`ll be a tight fit. I did this a couple years ago.
I have done the same as Richard did. I also zip tie the vertical positive post with insulation in the event something gets jarred loose ( heaven forbid ) and causes a dead short to the frame.

I love my 1st and 2nd Optima ! I got 8 years out of the first Optima and my second is 4 years old and going strong in spite of dead spells where I left the interior lights on by accident.

Going to the Lithium type battery next time because the Optima is 40 lbs which is 4 to 6 pounds heavier than a normal battery. The Lithium battery ( Odessey ?? ) only weight 6 lbs... a 34 lb weight saving.

That is a pretty good weight saver if you ask me... I was recently quoted $500 for the lithium battery for our ZR-1s.
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015   #8
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRXMAX View Post
I have done the same as Richard did. I also zip tie the vertical positive post with insulation in the event something gets jarred loose ( heaven forbid ) and causes a dead short to the frame.

I love my 1st and 2nd Optima ! I got 8 years out of the first Optima and my second is 4 years old and going strong in spite of dead spells where I left the interior lights on by accident.

Going to the Lithium type battery next time because the Optima is 40 lbs which is 4 to 6 pounds heavier than a normal battery. The Lithium battery ( Odessey ?? ) only weight 6 lbs... a 34 lb weight saving.

That is a pretty good weight saver if you ask me... I was recently quoted $500 for the lithium battery for our ZR-1s.
That is a little rich for my blood. I am curious if they make a smaller version of the optima that would have just enough cranking amps to start the LT-5.

I have seen guys use lawn and garden batterys to run their cars. They also would only drive these cars in warmer temps.