ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-04-2020   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default Leak in trunk

Hi,

It has been raining all night. When I entered the car this morning, I noticed the passenger side of the trunk carpet was very wet. Driver side is wet under the carpet but not as much as passenger side. Car is back from a respray. Do you guys have any idea? Car was sitting on a very slight angle, towards passenger side.

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 2009

Last edited by MuRCieLaGo; 05-04-2020 at 08:16 PM.
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020   #2
tccrab

Default Re: Leak in trunk

Check the weatherstrip on the Hatch, especially toward the top.
Betcha it's cracked of separated from the body, maybe even a small piece of masking tape on it.

Nice Viper.

Neither car should be left out in the rain, word on the street is that they melt.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020   #3
Corvette95

Corner right hatch seal. Main body harness connector near right rear of compartment needs cleaning, common, connector likely corroded green .

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020   #4
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Check the weatherstrip on the Hatch, especially toward the top.
Betcha it's cracked of separated from the body, maybe even a small piece of masking tape on it.

Nice Viper.

Neither car should be left out in the rain, word on the street is that they melt.

'Crabs
Haha thanks, I don't hesitate to drive them all in the rain too! I checked weatherstrips all around the hatch... Everything looks OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette95 View Post
Corner right hatch seal. Main body harness connector near right rear of compartment needs cleaning, common, connector likely corroded green .

Hum, I really do not understand. What a connector has to do with water leaking inside the car?
Old 05-05-2020   #5
lfalzarano

Check where the rear glass struts connect to the glass... just a guess that seal might have failed over time.

Old 05-06-2020   #6
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalzarano View Post
Check where the rear glass struts connect to the glass... just a guess that seal might have failed over time.

Seal seems to be very good...

I called the body shop. He told me he put 3M tape under the seal, instead of OEM glue. He told me the OEM glue is a real pain to work with. I'm pretty sure the problem is right there!
Old 05-11-2020   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Seal seems to be very good...

I called the body shop. He told me he put 3M tape under the seal, instead of OEM glue. He told me the OEM glue is a real pain to work with. I'm pretty sure the problem is right there!
Yes, the OEM glue IS a pain! But, it never hardens, allowing the seal position to be adjusted (I suppose).

Anywayz... I used 3M Weather Seal Adhesive (contact cement) on mine. I Pre-installed my seal and put index temporary marks on the seal and the hatch so that after I applied the glue I could be sure that the seal was indexed correctly before pressing it down on the 3M (contact) adhesive. I hasn't leaked in 5 or so years now, and it has sat outside and been driven in several frog stranglers! So far so good.

I might add...

By the time I got the adhesive spread on the hatch and the seal, it had already dried too much - especially where I first started to apply the (glue). But, according to the directions on another application of contact cement (the head liner, in fact) it said to reapply a third thin layer to one of the contact surfaces and (get this!) proceed to apply the two surfaces together before the fresh adhesive dries to the point of being tacky.

Boy, does that work! It gives you some time to adjust the fit after the two surfaces make initial contact. And, once it sets (in 5-10 min or so, depending on how much adhesive was used over all, the surfaces are very secure. (I have also found that third layer technique is especially useful when installing carpet. The carpet can be "squirmed" around to optimize the fit before the (glue) is fully set.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-11-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #8
MuRCieLaGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Yes, the OEM glue IS a pain! But, it never hardens, allowing the seal position to be adjusted (I suppose).

Anywayz... I used 3M Weather Seal Adhesive (contact cement) on mine. I Pre-installed my seal and put index temporary marks on the seal and the hatch so that after I applied the glue I could be sure that the seal was indexed correctly before pressing it down on the 3M (contact) adhesive. I hasn't leaked in 5 or so years now, and it has sat outside and been driven in several frog stranglers! So far so good.

I might add...

By the time I got the adhesive spread on the hatch and the seal, it had already dried too much - especially where I first started to apply the (glue). But, according to the directions on another application of contact cement (the head liner, in fact) it said to reapply a third thin layer to one of the contact surfaces and (get this!) proceed to apply the two surfaces together before the fresh adhesive dries to the point of being tacky.

Boy, does that work! It gives you some time to adjust the fit after the two surfaces make initial contact. And, once it sets (in 5-10 min or so, depending on how much adhesive was used over all, the surfaces are very secure. (I have also found that third layer technique is especially useful when installing carpet. The carpet can be "squirmed" around to optimize the fit before the (glue) is fully set.
Hi Paul! It's been a long time, glad to see you chiming in. I haven't used contact cement in years, doesn't it harden? It would mean that I will never be able to remove that seal again without breaking it + damaging the paint? 3 layers... I'm confident it would be sealed, but I'm a bit skeptical about it... Looks overkill, but for sure I will talk about that with him!

OEM glue is a pain - that's EXACTLY what the body shop said!

He was planning on using dum-dum rubber tape.

Thanks for your tips!!
Old 05-11-2020   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
Hi Paul! It's been a long time, glad to see you chiming in. I haven't used contact cement in years, doesn't it harden? It would mean that I will never be able to remove that seal again without breaking it + damaging the paint? 3 layers... I'm confident it would be sealed, but I'm a bit skeptical about it... Looks overkill, but for sure I will talk about that with him!

OEM glue is a pain - that's EXACTLY what the body shop said!

He was planning on using dum-dum rubber tape.

Thanks for your tips!!
Yep. The 3M Weather Seal Adhesive is black, and essentially contact cement. However, it does not harden or become brittle. Good stuff.

Far as ever having to remove it, 3M Adhesive Remover works as well as any and better than some. I've not had a reason to try to remove that adjesive from my hatch. BUT!! I have used the Remover on painted surfaces when removing emblems without any issues with it removing paint. Good stuff too!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote