ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-18-2009   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

subscribed also..... I have alot to learn here, too. Sorry to hear that this is happening to you Craig. I have a set of crank & rod bearings(from LIMEY's run) if you run into that issue.....I hope not.......but I'll take time payments & what I paid for them, if you get jammed up....not trying to be a wise guy, I'm straight up on this.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #12
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
subscribed! Looking forward to learning something here, too. I'll be doing this myself in a couple of months.

Ryan, Jeff, easier to leave the wiring harness with the vehicle, I take it?

Todd
Yes Todd, leave the harness in the car. That way you don't have to go and yank out the connections underneath the passenger side of the dash.
Old 07-18-2009   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
subscribed also..... I have alot to learn here, too. Sorry to hear that this is happening to you Craig. I have a set of crank & rod bearings(from LIMEY's run) if you run into that issue.....I hope not.......but I'll take time payments & what I paid for them, if you get jammed up....not trying to be a wise guy, I'm straight up on this.

Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the offer; I really appreciate it and hoping it is just minor work to make it right.
Old 07-18-2009   #14
phrogs

post a picture of this piece you found

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
post a picture of this piece you found
John, thanks for asking. Before getting it running a few months ago I put on the magnetic oil drain plug and it was stuck to the magnet. Some say it looks like a piece of the key in the crank and others a piece broken off from a chain guide so I figured I better open er up in and figure out what it is. I know it is difficult to tell in pictures, but you pull took apart enough of these and might be able to tell too. I'm just confused.....

Old 07-19-2009   #16
tpepmeie

Best place to get the CPT videos? I thought somebody had transferred them to DVD. There are 2 on Ebay, says 2 of 4. Anywhere else?
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #17
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
Best place to get the CPT videos? I thought somebody had transferred them to DVD. There are 2 on Ebay, says 2 of 4. Anywhere else?
The old, original VHS videos are probably the only legally way to buy these and selling them for profit or copying them are illegal. I even checked with the company that made them and they don't have any left so I have only seen them on Ebay and missed out a few times to get the entire set with the books, case, etc.
Old 07-20-2009   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

A little progress was made yesterday as I started to prep for this project. I bought an engine stand from Checker's and assembled it; not bad for $59, but if I were going to do this often I would buy a high quality one that is easy to turn the motor over, etc.

Removed the exhaust and it is getting easier and quicker each time. Started removing the headers and lesson learned is that Stage 8 bolts will not be going back in. It was hell to get to all the clips and get them off; a few went flying who knows where and got them with a magnet. I like the fact that the heads of the bolts use 8mm wrench for space, but can't get much torque to them to tighten.

Started to disconnect all the sensors underneath and the trans is ready to be dropped next.

I decided to get an engine leveler to make it easier; trying to order a decent one now. After removing the inner fender pieces to get access to the header bolts, it does appear the driver's side will give the most clearance after the all is said and done, but I did not want to change sides of the garage and throw the wife off and before you know it......something will be hit and I will be blamed of course.

During my evenings I'll start taking off the top half and accessories and are in the way and start to get the harness items all disconnected. I'm baggin and taggin everything with pictures along the way because my memory is not very good these days and who knows how long until I put it back in once it comes out, not know what exactly is wrong with the motor yet. I'll have to also get inside to get the hurst shifter out of the way before I can drop the trans.

Still trying to find a good shop to do the 4:10s. Looking for a good clutch to match the Fidanza aluminum flywheel I bougth from Phrogs (John) a few years ago. I will also get all new spicer joint replaced in driveshaft and half shaft while I'm at it. Good time to put in all the poly bushings I bought a few years ago too.

This is going to be a slow process and I'm not rushing with all the traveling I have to do for work. I'll pull the motor after I get back from Thailand in a few weeks; I have to watch out for the H1N1.
Old 07-22-2009   #19
carter200

Craig,
Try these:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ne%20equalizer

http://agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn...cd2=1248239881

http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...ine-Sling.HTML

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/enginesling.html

This should get you started

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #20
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks Carter. I got and email from James with the LT1 that is borrowing an engine hoist from a friend and the guy has a leveler too so I'm all set. I appreciate the search and links. I was supposed to pull the plenum tonight and got lazy after work with dinner and some TV.