ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-18-2009   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Hello gang,

Other than what is on the CPT mechanical video and in the FSM does anyone have some lessons learned about pull the LT5 with the hood on?

Here are some questions I have:

1. I heard it is easiest to pull the engine from the driver's side, correct?

2. Where is the best location to bolt the chain for hoist hook up? I am going to pull the plenum and many other items that might be in the way and I'm guess it might become more evident then. I have to buy the bolts, chain, etc.

Why am I pulling the motor? I found a chunk of metal when I changed my oil that appears to be coming from a piece of timing chain guide that broke off. My entire driver's side cylinders are 25 lbs lower than the other side in compression test and makes sense if the guide is broken and chain is causing cam timing issues. So I figured to go ahead and degree the cams and the same time with some other work while I am at it. Might as well put in the 4:10s, beam plates, new clutch and fidanza aluminum flywheel that I have.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.
Old 07-18-2009   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Craig, pull the motor from the passenger side. Get the front wheel off to give you room to get the cherry picker in. You will need two people. One to work the picker and the other to help guide the motor.

I use the starter bolt holes and then in the front use the front injector housing bolts on the cylinder head.
Old 07-18-2009   #3
flyin ryan

Never heard of the drivers side thing myself . 'Just' pulled & installed mine from the passenger side (with the hood on). Since your pulling the plenum I'm assuming you know about un-doing the wiring harness & leave it with the car. Sure glad Jeff told me about that. I bet he'll chime in & give you some tips .

Last edited by flyin ryan; 07-18-2009 at 02:06 AM.
flyin ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Craig, pull the motor from the passenger side. Get the front wheel off to give you room to get the cherry picker in. You will need two people. One to work the picker and the other to help guide the motor.

I use the starter bolt holes and then in the front use the front injector housing bolts on the cylinder head.
Jeff to the rescue again. Thanks Jeff, I'll try my best not to bug you during the process.....you know I'm scared of this, but gotta do it.
Old 07-18-2009   #5
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Jeff to the rescue again. Thanks Jeff, I'll try my best not to bug you during the process.....you know I'm scared of this, but gotta do it.

Don't worry about it, and I'm still 100% positive my id of the part is right.
Old 07-18-2009   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Never heard of the drivers side thing myself . 'Just' pulled & installed mine from the passenger side (with the hood on). Since your pulling the plenum I'm assuming you know about un-doing the wiring harness & leave it with the car. Sure glad Jeff told me about that. I bet he'll chime in & give you some tips .
flyin ryan,

Thanks for your input and I appreciate it. I'm going to take my time and ask many, many questions.
Old 07-18-2009   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
Don't worry about it, and I'm still 100% positive my id of the part is right.
Yes, I'm sure you are right too based on the measurements, just can't figure out how the heck it would happen. I really I wish I did not have to pull the motor to find out, but I'll take it as learning more about the heart of the beast. Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-18-2009   #8
flyin ryan

Yup...your welcome, no problem. I might be able to help a little because it's still very fresh in my brain, kinda like a fresh wound...just joking it's not too bad, but Jeff is the guy to lean on, it's second nature to him.
Old 07-18-2009   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Yup...your welcome, no problem. I might be able to help a little because it's still very fresh in my brain, kinda like a fresh wound...just joking it's not too bad, but Jeff is the guy to lean on, it's second nature to him.
Without the help of everyone here, I would have gave up and got rid of it years ago. My memory is bad so I have to watch the CPT video a thousand times and read the FSM every night. Yep and Jeff has a business to run too and is always takes the time to help out.
Old 07-18-2009   #10
tpepmeie

subscribed! Looking forward to learning something here, too. I'll be doing this myself in a couple of months.

Ryan, Jeff, easier to leave the wiring harness with the vehicle, I take it?

Todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote