ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-21-2016   #31
Tripler

Default Re: Why I Toe/Heel-Heel/Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
Yep it's really just using the ball of your foot on the brake, and rocking it over to the accelerator pedal for a blip when needed. I do it on every single downshift, every time I drive anywhere. It's like breathing, totally unconscious, and I'm not sure I could unlearn the habit.

Here's how it's done, from one of the best who ever lived. In loafers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo5wDmJGYGo

I don't think I saw him break once with his left foot . Correct me if I am wrong . Also I love the way he was blipping that throttle through the corners on coast mode trying to see how much understeer or addhesion the car can handle .

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #32
A26B

I think the blips in the corner are deliberate to induce oversteer to get around the corner faster as opposed to light braking.
A light quick blip will accelerate momentarily and then on engine decel, shift car balance with more weight on the front wheels to increase traction & turn in better.... all without slowing the car.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016   #33
Tripler

Here are a few pics of my race boot's . Lost of dust on these buggers . As you can see the bottom of the shoe is actually quite smooth and a little slippery to the touch as to not stick on the rubber if the pedals do have rubber . They are also very very flexible and toasty warm when in a hot race car . I have not driven with these on yet in the Z .

Old 07-21-2016   #34
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I think the blips in the corner are deliberate to induce oversteer to get around the corner faster as opposed to light braking.
A light quick blip will accelerate momentarily and then on engine decel, shift car balance with more weight on the front wheels to increase traction & turn in better.... all without slowing the car.
Exactly . You were able to explain it better than me . Back in the day a lot of drivers talked of using the left foot breaking to create that effect while also still on the throttle . I preferred the way Senna did it and I never left foot braked in corners to reduce under steer tho I do now in my racing simulator in rFactor2 . Sim racing is beyond difficult and I most certainly enjoy the real thing over the sim any day tho the sim gives me that thrill still to some extent .

Thanks Russ and A26B for your input ...

Last edited by Tripler; 07-21-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2016   #35
ZR1North

Great thread, guys, and very good idea to include a heel and toe segment in next years's Gathering. When I went to Fellows school a couple of years ago, they spent about two hours one morning teaching the technique and allowing us to practice it on the C7. The next day, they turned on the rev-match feature and I was left wishing I could add this to our Zees. The manual process is like magic when you get it right, but quite frustrating when you miss it. I am still learning.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #36
Tripler

If you practice as often as you can each time you are in the car it will become second nature and you won't even think about it . Your right foot will automatically flip on its side and blip the throttle while the ball of your right foot is braking at the same time . Don't worry about getting smooth at this point . Foot placement is the most important first were you find that location that suits you and it just feels right . It's the feeling that your foot will not slip off the brake pedal while you are blipping the throttle . It is a very specific location and getting it on the mark every single time will take practice . When I first started racing in my 1983 Honda Civic in the Honda Michelin Series I was rough as hell , missing T/H often and probably a lot of over revved engine . But by the 4th or 5th race I was starting to get it and could stay right on the tail of the lead car . In fact , I did that all summer long . I never passed him . He told me that I could pass him many times but I told him I was learning and was fine following a very good driver . By doing this and not trying to win right out of the box I taught myself how to be smooth and fast at the same time . By the end of the summer with 2 races to go I let out the lions and smoked by my mentor watching him loose distance from me in my mirrors . The lesson here is that you will not be able to master something right off the bat . Take your time . That was the key for me . It was basically an extended all summer long driving course that I programmed into my brain and it worked out very well for me . 1984 I won Regional Champion for Ontario in a show room stock vehicle in my 1983 Honda Civic . The next year ,1985 ,I won The Honda Michelin Series and 4 different Mini Series Championships in Ontario and Quebec . I also won the National Cup in my 1985 Honda Civic that same summer . I had over 50 competitors to do battle with on the circuits . So that whole summer of 1983 following a fast driver in regional event's paid off big time .
The next year I did the Players Challenge in the 1986 Camaro and finished 2nd overall with more than 70 competitors . It was a huge switch from a 60hp front wheel drive car to a I think 200 hp rear drive tank of a car . But I adapted . Tho I only usually finished in the top 5/got pole position once , and even got a fourth a few times , I was consistent. That was key . I finished every race I have ever started in my 9 years of racing . I do not think there is another driver that can attest to that . I had a serious crash once and wrote off a car but it was not my race and it was not the main event race so I basically never started the main event . Fatigue caused that accident . Never be tired and go racing . You may as well drink a case of beer and go flying . Same principal . Anyway I always had to finish a race no matter how bad things were . I went from fourth on the grid once to 40th one race with a smashed up car and drove my way up to 17th in a 20 lap race . Another time I had an air pump explode in the IROC and I went backwards down the grid during the race with an engine with half its power . I did not pit . I stayed on the track . Eventually the eprom reprogrammed the engine to run without the airpump and I got my power back . I passed 20 cars in a very short time and finished 7th from almost dead last . I never gave up and many other people and drivers told that to me many times and I would just smile and say thank you . I had drilled that into my head that very first summer of learning to race in 1983 . Finish the race . That's what its all about is it not ? Going fast and crashing does not prove anything other than adding a lot of expense to your hobby and even injury to your self and others . You must drive clean ...smoothly...
Ok ,,, back to T/H which is one of the first steps that you should learn if you really want to enjoy your vehicle . Remember also that some drivers will get it quickly and others will not . Just try to be patient . First just practice gear matching for now . 4th gear , 40 mph , blip the throttle and throw it into 3rd . It should just slide into third and the car will not lurch . Smooth like butter . Just listen to that responsive LT5 and if that does not give you goose bumps every time you blip the throttle , then your in the wrong car , but I know you will have goose bumps and when it goes smoothly , you will also have a huge smile ...
Again . Practice in a safe location as always ...

Last edited by Tripler; 04-07-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2016   #37
8cam

Also notice how Senna shifts. No power shifting, slamming, speed shifting, just a deliberate movement timed perfectly to balance the car. That kind of smooth driving style is what makes cars last, and wins races. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't like drag racing and watching someone power shift is like mechanical abuse. Watching Senna drive that NSX on a road course, probably faster in loafers than anyone else in full gear, is watching an artist at work.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016   #38
RussMcB

I remember reading a long time ago something by Mario Andretti about the importance of "mechanical sympathy". That phrase has been stuck in my head for decades.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #39
Tripler

Hopefully this link works . I did just a run through video last week with the car not running . It is unedited . I hope this gives you guys and gals an idea of were your feet should roughly be when doing T/H . I give 2 examples that work . One with the side of your foot and one with your toe and center of foot on the brake . That may work for you basketball guys ...I was a little surprised as to how difficult it was when I was not in motion . It took a few moments for my brain to put everything into context as you will see in the video lol . I never did T/H while not moving before but I figured it out . Don't worry about shifting gears when you are not in motion .
After you feel comfortable with you foot placement , start the engine (handbrake on) and press the brake and see if you can blip the throttle and rev the engine . Be gentle . You do not need high revs to accomplish T/H unless you are on the track racing at much higher speeds then what we are doing here which is everyday street or highway driving .
Now head out and find a safe place and try it out . Hopefully you have already practiced gear matching on downshifts that I mentioned earlier so you should have a good idea as to what the engine will sound like for a T/H maneuver when blipping the throttle . Again , you don't need to be staring at the tachometer . It is all about feel and sound . It should all be smooth . Breaking lightly , blip throttle , downshift , and back to throttle with right foot and with left foot back to deadstop position as you see in the video . Note ! Never rest your foot on the clutch . Be close to it when about to shift but do not touch it until you are ready to shift .

And most importantly ,,,have fun !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTFJSftU8eQ
Old 07-25-2016   #40
Fully Vetted

I've always done it the 2nd way. Just seemed more natural.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote