ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-05-2015   #1
RICKYRJ1

Default 19" wheels offsets & tire sizes?

I am looking to pick up some new wheels & tires for the Z season. I want to go with 19's. what are the offsets needed? I have C6 ZO6 brakes frt/rear. Michelin or Nitto tires? I like the tires right to the edge of the wheel well like I have now but would like to do coilovers in the future. will that matter? like to hear from the brain trust. Thanks in advance, Rick
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: 19" wheels offsets & tire sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
I am looking to pick up some new wheels & tires for the Z season. I want to go with 19's. what are the offsets needed? I have C6 ZO6 brakes frt/rear. Michelin or Nitto tires? I like the tires right to the edge of the wheel well like I have now but would like to do coilovers in the future. will that matter? like to hear from the brain trust. Thanks in advance, Rick
ZR-1 offsets are +56mm front and +36mm rear, both with 7.4" backspacing. You can play with width and diameter but the offset and backspacing shouldn't be changed. These are very odd and rare offsets and are virtually impossible to find on any aftermarket wheel, lest you have them custom made. This is why you hear about guys having to run spacers on the rear wheels and conversely, see some guys' front wheels protruding past the lip of the fender. If you order new wheels, my advice is don't mess with offsets and backspacing.

Good luck
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #3
cvette98pacecar

Ricky, I got these measurement from Phil W.

Front 18x10 57MM offset 1.5" lip 8.5" barrel
Rear 19X12 38MM offset 2.5" lip 9.5" barrel

Profile 10. Cant wait to see the wheels on the car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #4
RICKYRJ1

wheels will be made to my specs, thats why i'm trying to make sure. Im running the OEM C6 Z06 wheels now and use a wheel adapter in the rear only. Carter from CT Machining made them for me and have worked flawlessly for several years now. Eye candy Robert expect nothing less from ya, thanks for the specs. maybe dumb question but since I want to go with 19's in the front also does your specs remain the same?

Last edited by RICKYRJ1; 02-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #5
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
wheels will be made to my specs, thats why i'm trying to make sure. Im running the OEM C6 Z06 wheels now and use a wheel adapter in the rear only. Carter from CT Machining made them for me and have worked flawlessly for several years now. Eye candy Robert expect nothing less from ya, thanks for the specs. maybe dumb question but since I want to go with 19's in the front also does your specs remain the same?
When I seen these wheels on Phil's car I thought they were the best looking wheels I have ever seen on a Z on a Brite Red car. Now on a Purple or Ruby car you would probably have to go with OZ. Black, definitely Shelby's I saw Jim V LPE in Florida 4 years ago and that car was hot. I am sure whatever wheel you choose your Z will look spectacular like always.

I would not see it changing as all you are changing is the diameter of the wheel

Ron K has 19" front and rears on his LPE. Hopefully he will chime in here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 02-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #6
5ABI VT

Quote:
wheel diameter does not change anything. Beautiful wheels up there !!
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #7
5ABI VT

Quote:
If you like how they fit now, just measure your current wheels. Very simple to do. Or if you know the offset of the wheels add the spacer thickness to it and it will give you the offset number you need out back.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #8
XfireZ51

Ricky,

I think the one issue when using the Z06 brakes, up front in particular, is clearance for the calipers. As u know, they are massive and it's not just a matter of clearing the wheel drum. It's also a question of clearing the front face of the caliper. My hunch is that a wheel w a dished face would be problematic without pushing the tire towards the outer edge. One reason the OEM wheels look the way they do w a flat outer face.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #9
XfireZ51

BTW, I have coil overs now on mine. There's no impact from that but you do need to be concerned about how deep the wheel goes into the wheel well. Without the spacer on the Z06 rear wheel, they would rub onto shocks. And with spacers, I have gotten tire to rub on inner wheel well on high transient dips. However, there's only one dip I know of where that occurs.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 02-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #10
Jagdpanzer

Ricky,
Dom's right
The front ZO6 caliper will require a little more wheel center clearance.
We worked it out on David's car but I'm on the the west coast this week and don't have accesss to the information.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote