ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-19-2017   #1
Billy Mild

Default Toyo vs. Nitto

I'm looking at buying a new set of tires in the next few days. I am looking at replacing my current Nitto NT-05 with another set or maybe Toyo Proxes R888. I'm torn on what I should do. The Nitto's are on sale for under $700 a set, the Toyo's are significantly more than that. I also heard you need to run more camber and more toe in for the Toyo's.

Has anyone used the Toyo R888 tires? How do they stack up to the NT-05's?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Toyo vs. Nitto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I'm looking at buying a new set of tires in the next few days. I am looking at replacing my current Nitto NT-05 with another set or maybe Toyo Proxes R888. I'm torn on what I should do. The Nitto's are on sale for under $700 a set, the Toyo's are significantly more than that. I also heard you need to run more camber and more toe in for the Toyo's.

Has anyone used the Toyo R888 tires? How do they stack up to the NT-05's?

What, more camber? For a different tire? On the street? Amazing how people love to hear themselves talk.

Really liked my Toyos...bought them when the Goodyears weren't being produced, because Sumis and Nittos are uh, well, maybe 285s at best. The Toyos are WIDE and looked badass and they stuck like glue.

My advice is buy Goodyears if you can get them. Next is Toyos.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #3
Kevin

The nitto is a full size 315 in the rear the sumi isn't. I have nittos on the car now and I don't like them and I don't hate them. I think my old worn out gsd3's stuck better then the nittos I have now though. If I had to do it over again, I'd go gsd3
Old 03-20-2017   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I'd love to see a wet and dry skid-pad comparison including the Nittos, Sumi's, Toyo's and GSD3s.

All I have to go by are the Nitto "555" and "555R" vs. the 'D3s.

Warm, dry weather and especially at the drag strip, the Nitto 555R sticks much better than the 'D3s, especially noticed the difference with the 13# Fidanza.

In rain or on wet pavement, the 'D3s are tops; NO CONTEST. In fact, the 555R (drag radial) gets very squirrely around 45+ mph, depending on the amount of water on the highway.

And, when it gets down to freezing, neither tire is particularly safe, IMO.

I almost never drive on snow. But, I have tried to drive across the yard with the 555Rs: forgetaboutit!! Might as well be slicks!

So, In my experience, and especially in warm weather (read: pavement is warm/hot) I prefer the Nittos to the D3's...unless it is raining.

But, Nitto also makes the "G2" tire which is apparently a much better all-round wet/dry tire (especially WET). Maybe Robert Demarco can offer his subjective opinion.

Like I said: sure would like to see a skid pad comparison.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-20-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #5
Kevin

I have the g2 on my car....I think. I'll look when I get home. The fact that I can spin them with a 6000 rpm shift and then going wot where an ~10 year old set of gsd3's hooked at a 7000 rpm shift doesn't give me much confidence. They also flat spot easily when not driven very often. I'm worried about what it's going to feel like when I pull the car out for the summer. I've been able to drive it every month this winter, but only at low speeds around the neighborhood. Maybe they need broken in, maybe they suck. I'm not sure yet, but I'm not a fan so far.
Old 03-21-2017   #6
henryr

i have the r888 much cheaper than the nittos...
henryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #7
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The nitto is a full size 315 in the rear the sumi isn't. I have nittos on the car now and I don't like them and I don't hate them. I think my old worn out gsd3's stuck better then the nittos I have now though. If I had to do it over again, I'd go gsd3
What Nitto's? A lot of people rave about the NT-05 tire and overall have been very happy with them. They are almost 3 years old and a little hard. They did pretty damn well on my track day I did 2 years ago as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
i have the r888 much cheaper than the nittos...
Where did you get them? The Nitto NT-05's are $640 a set shipped right now. If the R888's were in the ballpark I would give them a shot.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #8
henryr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
What Nitto's? A lot of people rave about the NT-05 tire and overall have been very happy with them. They are almost 3 years old and a little hard. They did pretty damn well on my track day I did 2 years ago as well.

Where did you get them? The Nitto NT-05's are $640 a set shipped right now. If the R888's were in the ballpark I would give them a shot.
my bad, i shouldn't have typed "much cheaper"...

last time i priced at tire rack i was quoted $5xx for a set. a buddy has a wholesale account.
Old 03-21-2017   #9
henryr

how do the NT01s price out ?

look like tirerack has raised prices on the R888.

they should be discounting them as a new R888r is due out
Old 03-22-2017   #10
gmonsen

The R888's are my favorite tire. Hope they don't screw the pooch with the R888r replacements. They are in an entirely different (better) league than the Nitto's.

Gordon
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote