ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-24-2015   #41
Billy Mild

Default Re: Swapping shifters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I think the ball I bought years ago was a knockoff so I just bought one on EBay,don't really matter cause I can't find the damn thing. I did find at least one Hurst shift ball,white on Amazon for about $40 shipped. I'm going to attempt the shifter install this weekend in my one car garage. Wish me luck,sounds like a YouTube moment in the making. I'd post some pictures but not sure how from my iPhone.
The shifter swap is a PIA. I didn't drop the exhaust and it was a pain to get the pin out. Getting it back in wasn't either. When you are putting the pin back in keep in mind you might need another person to hold the shifter while hammering away. I also do not have a punch. I only have rachet extension and what not.

After it being done, the shifter is awesome. Make sure to lube all the interfacing surfaces, once it warms up and you drive it a bit the shifter will loosen up a bit. Shim it up as best you can and be happy you did the swap.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #42
Roadster

Well you guys "talked" me into it..... placed the order this afternoon for the shifter and shifter knob, should be here in a few days. A project for the future for sure!!! I have to stop reading this forum.....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015   #43
Z51JEFF

I just got the Hurst shifter ball and found the powder coating on the threads of the shifter is so thick the ball won't thread onto the shifter. I'll have to chase the threads with a 9/16-18 die.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #44
Z51JEFF

Well,didn't exactly work as planned.I got the car up in the air but didn't have enough room to drop the exhaust so I didn't get it done.For those that have done this without dropping the exhaust,I honestly don't see how that is possible,THERE ISNT ANY ROOM!But it wasn't a total blowout,changed the oil and replaced the fluid in the trans and got a good look at the leaky exhaust manifold bolt.So the plan once I get more to work on the car is replace the shifter,replace exhaust possibly BB system,install Beam Plates Ive had for years and re-undercoat the bottom of the car and anything else I can think of in the mean time but I will be watching to see how this works out for you guys.One question though,how common is it to break one of these bolts at the exhaust collector?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #45
RussMcB

Hi, gang. Tonight I started a Hurst shifter install and have a question.

Note: I bought my new Hurst shifter on ebay. AFAIK it is complete, but it did not come with retail packaging or instructions.

I've been following very useful instructions and pictures in this thread (from 2005): http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...r-install.html

Tonight's question is about removing the lower rubber boot after removing two of the three tie wraps.

Per the instructions in that thread, I have removed the big top tie wrap and the lower small tie wrap (leaving the top small tie wrap in place). At this point I'm supposed to pull the rubber boot away but I'm not quite sure how (in which direction). That instruction/picture step seems to be missing. Should it go backward? Upward? Downward?

TIA.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015   #46
Demps

Lower small tie wrap boot...aft
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015   #47
RussMcB

Tuesday night questions...

I pulled the boot back, exposing the front lower circlip (not an easy task - the boot is pretty tight and sturdy, doesn't want to stay back).

I was able to grab the circlip and pry it off (or at least forward and off the shaft, out of the groove). That has exposed a pin, and I'm guessing that's the one that people say is a S.O.B.

So, am I correct in thinking my next step is to drive that pin straight upwards until the shifter can comes loose and be removed from up inside the car?

While I'm asking questions...

I didn't get any shims with my shifter. Is that going to be a problem? I haven't seen any shims yet during the removal, but I guess that's because I haven't gotten that far yet.

Does anyone have the instructions that came in the box? Am I missing out on important stuff by not having them?

Thank, as always.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015   #48
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Tuesday night questions...

I pulled the boot back, exposing the front lower circlip (not an easy task - the boot is pretty tight and sturdy, doesn't want to stay back).

I was able to grab the circlip and pry it off (or at least forward and off the shaft, out of the groove). That has exposed a pin, and I'm guessing that's the one that people say is a S.O.B.

So, am I correct in thinking my next step is to drive that pin straight upwards until the shifter can comes loose and be removed from up inside the car?

While I'm asking questions...

I didn't get any shims with my shifter. Is that going to be a problem? I haven't seen any shims yet during the removal, but I guess that's because I haven't gotten that far yet.

Does anyone have the instructions that came in the box? Am I missing out on important stuff by not having them?

Thank, as always.
Yes that is the pin!

As for shims you shouldn't need new shims as the hurst re-uses the 'cradle' part of the shifter. If it fits well now it should be the same after.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #49
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

This discussion = all very interesting!

And, wouldn't ya just know it...when just about to pull the trigger on a new shifter, some residual BS (left over from a recent hacking) needed some attention, costing me X2+ what a shifter would have set me back... When it rains, it pours! Story of my life.

I continue to take notes, but the shifter is going to have to wait a little longer. Maybe by September in time for the annual CPCC Shootout (on the 17th of OCTOBER).

See LINK

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-29-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #50
Gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
... Does anyone have the instructions that came in the box? ...
Check your email
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote