ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-07-2014   #41
edram454

Default Re: Boosted LT5's

I will mention on event that happened when a fellow corvette club member and his 2010 z06 twin turbo car. He is a very experienced track driver and teaches driving classes in sebring and homestead tracks when they run track days, his twin turbo rear mount setup began to leak oil from one of the turbos in the rear. He did not see smoke and there were no signs of any issues when his car caught fire. he didnt lose the car since he was notifed immediately and drove off the track and put the fire out. He had damage but nothing a new bumper and paint did not fix. He was personally disillusioned with that twin turbo set up and sold the car. He then got that money and bought a built ls7 z06 car and makes his power naturally. fyi..

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #42
diamond zr1

that is exactly why they should be in the rear/anytime you get Hot oil on headers you will have a big fire quick/I also have a 91 Callaway t/turbo car with turbo's bottom front/lots of heat/350 cu in/they have secondary fuel injectors in the ram horn at front of plenum held in by retaining clips/had one come out one day sprayed gas all over underside hood and motor/thankfully I was unloading it out of a trailer and the motor was stone cold/
diamond zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #43
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
That is a great idea. rear mounted turbo will keep engine bay uncluttered. I have seen twin turbo versions on ls cars and they work quite well. I would not run too much boost and you will have some lag because of the length of the piping from front to rear etc..

ed ramos #3028
Hi Ed, some guys are worried about turbo lag but I figured my power doesn't come in till about 3500 right now anyways. I have currently 442/391 at rear wheels and with my engine mods it moved everything up north on the RPM scale.

Lag is based off of size of turbo, distance from engine, heat and velocity, exhaust pipe size. There is a balance between them all that must be found to minimize it. Oh and not to mention turbo inner works such as old school heavy weight turbines/ ball bearings vs. ceramic ball bearings and light weight turbine wheels.

I will retain my stock compression ratio so torque should remain the same until boost kicks in. This is what I suspect as of right now. I'm planning on about 5 lbs of boost. Deciding on adding additional injectors for a stand alone controller, factory ECM will be untouched. So idle and power remains the same until boost is detected by 2 bar MAP sensor. So many thoughts on this.

Some times you have to think out of the box at a distance of 50 feet, and not letting someone tell you it can't be done.

Last edited by Tony Davila; 11-08-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #44
rkreigh

that callaway custom TT car was at the gathering a few years back and got my heart racing what a beautiful car!!

love to see more TT ZR-1 being done

the AES liners are going if for me and hopefully robert will whip up some modified stock manifolds for me for a more affordable setup

the raptor is a good solution too.

with improved studs and liners the LT5 although certainly not ideal, can survive some boost

I think E85 is the magic bullet here. I'm going to try some of this stuff soon on the TT Z06, as soon as I can muster some mod $$
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #45
BigJohn

Yes, Mark did good!!!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015   #46
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
What no Twin Turbo LT5? There are a boat load of them out there.

Twin Turbo LT5
SGC-Three is you count Wayne twice as you should (high and low boost version)
LPE- Four and Norms has 1000 hp.
Callaway - There were three originally but I have seen the hoods that would support 5 cars. Hopefully Chris C or Reeves will chime in.
Raptor - One with the second on being built right now by Henderson Motor sport.
Mallet - One
Single turbo
Mark Haibeck
Supercharger
Specialized Racing products.
Now Mark Horner or Jerry Downey was telling me about a 385 Twin Turbo in Texas, I do not know if that is included in this count.
That makes 16 that I know of.
PhillipsLT5 provided these photos of the B-J Twin Turbo LT5.....

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-14-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #47
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
What no Twin Turbo LT5? There are a boat load of them out there. (snip)

That makes 16 that I know of.
Mighta been a "boatload" but me thinks that was a damn small boat.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #48
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
Hi Ed, some guys are worried about turbo lag but I figured my power doesn't come in till about 3500 right now anyways. I have currently 442/391 at rear wheels and with my engine mods it moved everything up north on the RPM scale.

Lag is based off of size of turbo, distance from engine, heat and velocity, exhaust pipe size. There is a balance between them all that must be found to minimize it. Oh and not to mention turbo inner works such as old school heavy weight turbines/ ball bearings vs. ceramic ball bearings and light weight turbine wheels.

I will retain my stock compression ratio so torque should remain the same until boost kicks in. This is what I suspect as of right now. I'm planning on about 5 lbs of boost. Deciding on adding additional injectors for a stand alone controller, factory ECM will be untouched. So idle and power remains the same until boost is detected by 2 bar MAP sensor. So many thoughts on this.

Some times you have to think out of the box at a distance of 50 feet, and not letting someone tell you it can't be done.

Very nice, Tony!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #49
PhillipsLT5

Twin Turbo from 66 or 67 custom Chevelle @ B-J this week, high end, thanks to Dyno for post
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #50
rhipsher

Will Barrett owns the one and only LPE 385 TT ZR-1 which is one of the 4 LPE TT cars ever built by Lingenfelter. He also owns one of the baddest LPE 415 aero body ZR-1's on the planet. He also has a very low mile all original black on black 1990 ZR-1 in climate controlled storage. The other three are LPE 368 TT's And the owner of one of those cars lives in Conroe TX. Will is a class act and one of the old timers in the C4 ZR-1 game. When he gets back in town me my wife and Will and his wife plan on going out for dinner. And he promises to give me a ride in either the 415 or the TT. I can't wait.

Will and his 1990 LPE 415 Aero body. I took these pictures back in 2007 at the ZR-1 BBQ at Corey Hendersons. It was the first time I met Glenn B. And Jerry Downey also.

Last edited by rhipsher; 01-15-2015 at 09:16 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote