ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-06-2014   #1
edram454

Default exhaust

have been looking at 3 inch exhaust from the headers on back. I have a flowmaster force II system and no cats. I have no drone but would not mind louder sounds. I found a place that would make me a stainless steel mandrel bend 3 inch system with mufflers (dont know which ones flowmaster two chamber??) for about 1200 or 1300 dollars. This would be with xpipe all custom made.

he then showed me a t-100 aluminum exhaust. It is 1/4 or the weight. It is amazingly light. If anybody wanted his zr1 to lose weight this is at least 100 pounds lighter. He could make me a t-100 aluminum complete exhaust for a little over 2k. It is the lightest exhaust I have ever seen. The complete exhaust, pipes, hangers, mufflers, xpipe is all aluminum and welded and 3 inch. This is a killer exhaust and very high end. am thinking about it. Anybody have a 3 inch exhaust with no cats?? how loud is it?? idle? full open throttle??

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: exhaust

I have headers with no cats and the Corsa system, which is 2.5" diameter but basically straight pipes. It is extremely loud at WOT, so I can imagine the system you're considering would be extremely loud as well.

But hey, the louder the better! Sounds like it would be a nice system if you found the right mufflers.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #3
Franke

Schrade just put on a 3 inch with x pipe, headers and I think no cats. He did say in a post earlier that he had some cabin drone with it. Schrade are you there?
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #4
edram454

what would you do if you had a flowmaster II exhaust system? would you cut away the resonator and put an x pipe? I have no drone but I dont care if I do. I drive it so little that my brief driving sessions must be intense. Or should I leave the resonators and change out the mufflers? I have heard those corsa's with headers and no cats and they sound great. I want more sound. Maybe no resonator and 2 chamber flowmasters??
Old 08-06-2014   #5
edram454

some people have said that the problem with the flowmaster is the mufflers. too restrictive. Is that true? the resonator appears to be restrictive since both pipes coming off the long tube headers go into one resonator. what does a resonator do??
Old 08-06-2014   #6
USAZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
what would you do if you had a flowmaster II exhaust system?
If it were on our 94,it would stay there. I had Jeal headers,no cats,and Flowmasters on my 90 ZR-1 and it sounded great! But,since I have a pair of B&B Fusion mufflers,guess I will put those on the car,,someday.
Find you a set of the first gen B&B exhaust,if you want surround sound in full Technicolor.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody

Last edited by USAZR1; 08-06-2014 at 11:36 PM.
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #7
mike100

A resonator tunes out drone at a certain frequency...it is a little higher up in the rev range, not the drone you get in the hatch lugging the car in 6th gear up hills with a loud muffler set.

My experience is that headers with stock mufflers and no catalysts decibel volume-wise is about the same as a free flowing 3" pipe set with cats.

Did you see any of my posts with the C6 NPP muffler valves I installed? GM, Porsche, and BMW use this device on several cars. It works very well. This way you can run a restrictive, quiet muffler and the second outlet runs a straight shot allowing you to have your cake and eat it too.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #8
Billy Mild

Dynomax VT mufflers do that.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #9
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
some people have said that the problem with the flowmaster is the mufflers. too restrictive. Is that true? the resonator appears to be restrictive since both pipes coming off the long tube headers go into one resonator. what does a resonator do??
Marc has said before that the problem with Flowmaster is the resonator. I think the mufflers actually flow quite well by themselves. If you like the tone, you might be fine just hacking those off and using them with your new 3" system.

Last edited by KILLSHOTS; 08-07-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #10
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Dynomax VT mufflers do that.
What the VTs don't do is allow you to turn them on or off. A significant part of the drone is attributable to an AFR that's too fat or rich. And it really gets going when you're in the 55kPa+ region of the fueling(VE) table. The exhaust gets "blubbery". Leaning it out tightens the note. Ever notice how the drone goes away on trailing throttle and a slight decline? But climb the incline with a slight acceleration and it gets obnoxious particularly around 1300-1600rpm.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote