ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-20-2014   #51
edram454

Default Re: exhaust

I understand and you are right. I had already invested in the mufflers and tips when somebody posted a used corsa for 900 in the corvette forum yesterday. I was already stuck so I installed today. The good thing is that I hardly ever drive my car. Maybe once every two weeks. I cant see my neighbors complaining too much since I am not driving it that much. I am now considering resonator removal with x pipe or electronic cutouts. the cutouts dont seem too bad. I can have the muffler shop weld it in place and I can go home and get the wiring done. Just another possibility. That system will give me the flexibility to be very very loud or as loud as I am now. I am leaning toward these cutouts. we'll see. Thanks for your advice.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #52
USAZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
I found that you can't "have it all" without biting the bullet and investing in the expensive system...that one that has had countless R&D dollars dumped into it.

Ed, I wish you luck in your search and I hope you find the magic combo that nobody else has ever found.
That would be the B&B Fusion catback system,right? Ed isn't looking to "have it all",Chris. He wants a loud exhaust. Drone doesn't seem to bother him,either.
Sounds like an easy man to please.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #53
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
That would be the B&B Fusion catback system,right? Ed isn't looking to "have it all",Chris. He wants a loud exhaust. Drone doesn't seem to bother him,either.
Sounds like an easy man to please.
Hey Clint,

My comment had to do with the fact that Ed had just installed his new Flowmasters and then only a few hours later, was asking if any other guys were running...?
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #54
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
anybody have headers, no cats and resonators removed??? maybe looking for more noise. Anybody?? I dont care about drone. dont drive it much.
If you don't care about drone, then find some PE's, like I got from Jeff. The SPL, in dB's, HAS TO be 3 figure range. Ironically, it doesn't seem very loud at all, listening as my neighbor drove off around the block, after the last bolts were tight. I think Jeff might still have the link posted to the boards here... (in a moment here)
Jeff does still have his video on 'Public' setting here...

I'd have guessed, NOT from experience, that this hardware has more drone than any other aftermarket pipes. And now it seems that Bob WT has qualified that guess.

If mine wasn't running so much cooler, I think I'd have been looking for different hardware.

edit:
And I think mike100 said that drone could probably be reduced with a single outlet open, as opposed to both outlets, each side.

I can't see that reducing drone, but he knows more than me, so I won't argue.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 08-20-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #55
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
edit:
And I think mike100 said that drone could probably be reduced with a single outlet open, as opposed to both outlets, each side.

I can't see that reducing drone, but he knows more than me, so I won't argue.
Um, yeah... THAT is what all the chatter about the NPP's has been about for quite some time now doanchaknow?? Where ya been??

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #56
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Um, yeah... THAT is what all the chatter about the NPP's has been about for quite some time now doanchaknow?? Where ya been??
Chuck,

I posted this video earlier this year showing the difference between full open and closed for the NPP actuators. Makes a significant difference, maybe 40% less

Here's the video again

1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 08-20-2014 at 07:17 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #57
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Chuck,

I posted this video earlier this year showing the difference between full open and closed for the NPP actuators. Makes a significant difference, maybe 40% less

Here's the video again

Thanks; will give it a listen shortly here...

Does it change INSIDE, and outside sound? Or just outside? Can you get a sound meter on it?

I don't have one; I'm using a camcorder recording, played on a media player with an EQ. Problem with that is, is that the lower band on the EQ is still above the level of the drone - I'm guessing drone (interior resonance) is below 20 hertz, which is normal lower end of human hearing. Normal audiometer won't even do this...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2014   #58
mike100

On mine there is still drone at 1900-2000 rpm if you dwell there, but is quite a bit lower than with all 4 outlets trumpeting. If I had chosen a more restrictive muffler like some typical turbo muffler, I'm sure the result would have been even quieter. As it was, the SW 3" system is crazy loud without any resonator, NPP help, or acoustic gimmicks.

A guy on the other forum showed his 25.5 inch 1/4 wave resonator tubes built into the spare tire area. My guess is that's pretty much the same length as a Corsa resonator. Closing off one outlet of the muffler creates a much shorter acoustic reflection that attenuates other frequencies, but it also forces the gas to flow through the more convoluted part of the muffler lowering the amplitude of the sound somewhat just by not being a straight pipe outlet.

Last edited by mike100; 08-20-2014 at 07:57 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #59
Schrade

You got vids posted of your hardware's sound too there Mike?

Old 08-20-2014   #60
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Thanks; will give it a listen shortly here...

Does it change INSIDE, and outside sound? Or just outside? Can you get a sound meter on it?

I don't have one; I'm using a camcorder recording, played on a media player with an EQ. Problem with that is, is that the lower band on the EQ is still above the level of the drone - I'm guessing drone (interior resonance) is below 20 hertz, which is normal lower end of human hearing. Normal audiometer won't even do this...
It changes both. Not sure what muffs mike100 is using, but the DynoMax are straight thru. Flows 2000SCFM. If there is any resonance it is in the 1200rpm range. Anything above that not an issue. That video was shot w a iPhone.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote