ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-23-2022   #1
Z51JEFF

Default Could use some electrical help from the pros

I'm in the process of putting a Viper 5706V alarm in my 75 and can't figure out the starter kill feature. While this alarm has a lot of options but I'm only using the basic functions of the alarm. Anybody got any alarm experience? I've done alarms in the past but this one's got me stumped. I'd post pictures of the wiring harness but can't remember how.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022   #2
viper107

Default Re: Could use some electrical help from the pros

unless you get ahold of the person that engineered the alarm , and have them install it, i would run from it, i have never seen one that worked correctly for long and create electrical problems in the future
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022   #3
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper107 View Post
unless you get ahold of the person that engineered the alarm , and have them install it, i would run from it, i have never seen one that worked correctly for long and create electrical problems in the future
I've installed a few in the past and never had any issues. I've been in touch with the manufacturer and was told it might be defective. I've bought another one and will install it here soon.
Old 08-31-2022   #4
WARP TEN

Jeff, I am curious about why you feel you need an alarm on your ZR-1. While this is just my personal thought, I have always felt alarms really don't do much good in preventing theft. How many times have we all heard a car alarm go off and then have shrugged and gone back to what we were doing? An experienced thief can usually disable them in fairly short order. One was installed on my '95 when I bought it but I immediately had Marc Haibeck remove it, as it turned out to be causing some minor electrical issues.

The one time I really did need an alarm for a Corvette was when I had my '67 coupe while living in the Boston area in the early '70s. My approach was to install a solenoid cut off on the fuel line with an on/off rocker switch hidden under the carpet on the passenger side of the console. You couldn't see the switch and if someone stole the car they wouldn't realize they had a problem until the car ran out of the gas in the carb bowl. Which happened one Saturday night in Boston. Thieves took it but only got a couple of blocks. Cops later said it was the only stolen Corvette recovered in Boston that year. Of course a thief with a flatbed could defeat the plan! Anyway, I was just curious and don't mean to hijack the thread..---Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022   #5
Z51JEFF

Hi Bob,this is for the 75 convertible I bought last summer. I do agree,if a thief wants something they will get. But I'm not going to make it easy for them,I'm thinking to put the siren on the inside of the car,I can't imagine anybody could live through the noise. The car will also have a kill switch. I'm thinking the alarm I have is defective,basic instructions and the thing won't work right.
Old 08-31-2022   #6
Z51JEFF

This car sat in Sacramento for 35 years,cars got 12,000 original miles. I bought this my goal was to find an excellent very low mileage 80 that needed nothing,I didn't want to work on anything,that kinda went sideways. I'm slowly bringing this car back to life. Honestly this car is the biggest pain in the a$$,that's why I call it Evil Kermit. Peope hear garage kept and they figure perfect shape, it not exactly. This cars had everything imaginable drug down the sides at least more than once but the car drives like a 12,000 mile car. I've been working on this car non stop for 11 months,time for a break. I completely gutted the interior for a deep clean and replace the heater core. This car was repainted under warranty,have the paper work and whoever painted this car got overspray,even on the carlpet. Everything is scrubbed and slowly going back together. I've got coil-overs in the front and while I take a break rear coil-overs will go in the rear.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 08-31-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2022   #7
viper107

i love those body styles, i had a 70- they are the biggest pain in the *** to work on in my opinion,everything is a challenge/ love that green
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5

Last edited by viper107; 08-31-2022 at 12:19 PM.
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022   #8
WARP TEN

Sounds like a great project Jeff. At least it keeps you off the streets! --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022   #9
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Sounds like a great project Jeff. At least it keeps you off the streets! --Bob
...........for now🤪
Old 09-06-2022   #10
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper107 View Post
i love those body styles, i had a 70- they are the biggest pain in the *** to work on in my opinion,everything is a challenge/ love that green
Got to pull the starter just to replace the plug wires? And it just gets better. I've gotten to the point I'm hesitant to work on something else,don't know what grief awaits me.