ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-25-2020   #1
WARP TEN

Default Re: Transmission problem

Many years ago I had a Saab 99 in Denver and had the same symptoms--pushed the clutch pedal in, heard a clunk and suddenly had no clutch. I learned how to drive in traffic without a clutch that day as I was downtown and on my way home. Turned out to be a broken clutch fork. Later the Saab Service Tech said he had never seen it before, but they got a new one, fixed it and it was fine. Fast forward to about 1995 I was driving to a business appointment in Indiana on a Friday afternoon in my '93 ZR-1. I was in rural Indiana on local roads and started to feel the clutch pedal slowly drop until I had no clutch. The lessons learned in my Saab paid off though as I was able to drive it without a clutch long enough to find a small Chevrolet dealer in the area at about 4:30 Friday afternoon (remember, no cell phones back then). The mechanics there quickly dove into it and determined it was the clutch cylinder losing fluid through a slow leak. They filled it back up to the top, saying it should last to get me home. They were so excited to see a ZR-1 at this little dealership (they had never seen one) they didn't charge me anything. Loved it, and was able to drive home via the notoriously congested I-80/94 corridor south of Chicago without incident. It would have been a nightmare with out a working clutch. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote