ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-19-2015   #1
BlackZR1

Default Missing Header Bolt Size?

Good Evening guys,
What size is my missing header bolt? Looks like an M8 x 1.0 (fine thread) but I tried a coarse and fine thread and neither wants to start.

I also notice that the bolt below has a collar (like a 3/4" long spacer) on it. What is the purpose of the collar? Is this a special bolt?

For extra credit, what size is the small bolt that secures the aluminum cover over the throttle cables at the throttle body? The 2 nuts on the side are 4mm. My missing small bolt in front seems like it should be a 4 mm, but I tried a 4 mm and it didn't want to go.

Thanks,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04592.jpg (93.7 KB, 21 views)
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Missing Header Bolt Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZR1 View Post
Good Evening guys,
What size is my missing header bolt? Looks like an M8 x 1.0 (fine thread) but I tried a coarse and fine thread and neither wants to start.

I also notice that the bolt below has a collar (like a 3/4" long spacer) on it. What is the purpose of the collar? Is this a special bolt?

For extra credit, what size is the small bolt that secures the aluminum cover over the throttle cables at the throttle body? The 2 nuts on the side are 4mm. My missing small bolt in front seems like it should be a 4 mm, but I tried a 4 mm and it didn't want to go.

Thanks,
Roger
Header Bolt is 8mm x 1.25

Exhaust Headers Locking Bolt Tricks

I think the original accelerator cable clip screw....is a screw thread.....I think I just tapped those for a couple SS Allen Head bolts (I think 4 mm with a pitch of .70 same as TB Coolant Cover).
accelerator cable clip screw

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-20-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #3
WVZR-1

Cliff is correct the accelerator cover fastener isn't a machine screw but a self-tapping M4.2-1.4X8 fastener. It is the same as the cable conduit retainers on the plenum if you needed a sample or wanted to confirm.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-20-2015 at 04:55 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #4
A26B

Roger,
If you have any difficulty finding the bolts you are looking for, we have a large inventory of LT5 OEM bolts.

Throttle Quadrant Cover Screw
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/screw-a...ew-90-95-6-5b/

Exhaust Manifold Bolts

The actual specification for the bolt is inclusive of the spacer you noted. I have always thought the spacer is to make getting a socket on the bolt head easier where the header tube is close to the hole. The M8x1.25 bolt can be sized to 25mm length if you use a socket head cap screw (allen head) of a reduced hex head header bolt. Not all exhaust manifold bolt holes actually had bolts installed at the factory, even though the holes are tapped. I think only 5 or 6 per side actually had bolts installed.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 09-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Roger,
If you have any difficulty finding the bolts you are looking for, we have a large inventory of LT5 OEM bolts.

Throttle Quadrant Cover Screw
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/screw-a...ew-90-95-6-5b/
No Jerry......it is called a accelerator cable clip screw (Left Click on the Underlined)

And I have to teach you Descriptive Links sometime (Left Click Links like in my Signature)

Oh....Jerry is the best on parts AND Packaging AND Delivery of parts no matter if I am in SD or CA it is always two days delivery with SUPER Packaging.

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-20-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #6
mike100

You aren't missing any hardware. The factory only used 7 (out of 16) mounting flange holes. Notice the rusty texture and no evidence of a washer, spacer, or bolt head flange ever being mounted there.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #7
RussMcB

Roger, if it bothers you, and you think there is room enough to put one in, I can send you one. I just installed headers and used new bolts, so I have some old (original) bolts laying around.

But, like others have said, you don't really need a bolt there.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #8
BlackZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Roger, if it bothers you, and you think there is room enough to put one in, I can send you one. I just installed headers and used new bolts, so I have some old (original) bolts laying around.

But, like others have said, you don't really need a bolt there.
Thanks Jerry, Cliff, Mike and Russ.
I have a big order coming for you Jerry, the little cover screw among them.
In checking that header bolt, I tried an 8mm x 1.25 like Cliff said then mistakenly dropped it into the header head shield. Arggghhhh!! I used a SS bolt so a magnet would not help retrieve it even if I could get contact with it.
Well if it is not necessary I won't worry about it.

Thanks again guys,
Roger
BlackZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote