ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-31-2022   #11
evl_twn

Default Re: Plenum pull scope creep

I tested all of the individual lines and fittings with a hand pump brake bleeder with vacuum gauge. Everything under the plenum checked out, so I buttoned up the plenum and put the power plates back in with gaskets above and below. Turns out I didn't need the TB coolant bypass line, the power plates aren't drilled for the coolant passage so it completely eliminates coolant from the plenum and throttle body.

I wanted to check the vacuum pump operation before putting the coolant back in "just in case" . It occurred to me I've never heard the thing run since I've owned the car. I checked voltage at the plug, no issues there. Pulled the pump and found it was locked up. I bought the car from family in FL, it had sat for years in an unconditioned garage so I'm guessing the humidity and lack of use is what did it in. Got a replacement and checked the time between pump runs and it's now holding for 40 seconds between pump cycles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0886.jpg (71.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by evl_twn; 07-31-2022 at 05:08 PM.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022   #12
evl_twn

I figured replacing the coolant was going to be a pain without the air bleed path through the plenum/TB. I read Marc's article about lifting up the passenger side of the car, and the revision using air to pressurize the system. Then I saw a few posts and watched a few videos on using a vacuum test/fill kit and bought one. Seems like the best option to me, works exactly like drawing down an AC system before adding refrigerant. Leak checks work the same way.

I purged the system and let it sit for a while, held a solid 25" of hg the whole time. The hoses even collapsed a bit. It was so much easier to add coolant back to the engine, it has a fill line that draws it in using the vacuum created. I think I actually added more coolant than what I drained so it might have been low to begin with, and that's with the lines through the TB still connected so the capacity might be a bit less now.

I was worried a bit about air pockets and bleeding the system but apparently this completely eliminates that issue. When the vacuum came back to "0" and it stopped drawing coolant I removed the tool and found the level was just below the cap. I added maybe half a cup of coolant to bring it up to the top, hooked up the expansion tank line and started it up. Temps seemed perfectly normal, both coolant pipes from the right and left injector housings were equal in temp.

I just got back from the first drive after buttoning everything up and all temps seemed normal. I'll double check the level after everything cools back down and also make sure it draws coolant back up from the expansion tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0889.jpg (159.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0890.jpg (160.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0891.jpg (68.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0892.jpg (149.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0893.jpg (122.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by evl_twn; 07-31-2022 at 05:12 PM.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022   #13
ZR-1nce removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
If the Power Plates actually make a difference and aren't just snake oil, I might be tempted to put them back on (but probably WITH gaskets this time ) but since I already have some scuffs on the hood I wonder if the silicone intake boot Jerry's sells would clear better than the stock one?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 ZR-1 #0951 Bright Red (sold)
06 Z51 MN6 Velocity Yellow (sold)
2023 C-8 Z51 ELB
WAZOO Member
ZR-1nce removed is offline   Reply With Quote