ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-25-2016   #1
samgallagher

Default Battery Acid

I replaced my battery, everything is running. But, noticed that the battery acid that leaked from older battery has eaten away the protective covering with some residue on the electrical lines that were encased. I have a clean-up on aisle 1. I would like to disconnect the wires that needs cleaning up and at least wrap them in new coverings. The attached picture depicts the connection I want to disconnect near the positive connection and gently pull away from underneath the battery box to clean them up. The wires run down the side of the driver with a connection that goes up to the other attached picture I just don't want to start disconnecting wires. What is this wire (I am guessing it has to do with the lights in the rear) and can I disconnect without something requiring resetting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1374.JPG (102.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1370.JPG (80.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1371.JPG (71.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1373.JPG (65.5 KB, 15 views)
Vin #1G1YZ23J2L5803031[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000081][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000081]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]As of Aug 27, 2014, just over 10,000 miles
NCRS Top Flight
McLellan Mark of Excellence
NCRS Chevrolet Crossed Flags Award
samgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #2
samgallagher

Default Battery Acid Update

Well, I went ahead and disconnected the plug. Took 2 hrs of spraying baking soda, wiping, cutting away portions of protective casing, individually wiping each stand of wire. Looks like the acid did not eat through the individual wires. Protective sleeve did it's job. Will buy protective case, electrical tape where they butt up to each other and put everything back together.
Since I drive it but once a month did not notice a problem till I put it on my lift and noticed some battery white corrosion. Nothing was evident on top.
I need to pay better attention to the basics.
Vin #1G1YZ23J2L5803031[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000081][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#000081]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]As of Aug 27, 2014, just over 10,000 miles
NCRS Top Flight
McLellan Mark of Excellence
NCRS Chevrolet Crossed Flags Award
samgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote